* byte-compiling files loaded in loadup.el
@ 2010-08-06  3:23 Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2010-08-06  3:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

A little experiment shows that byte compiling any of the files in
loadup.el that are currently not byte compiled (and not explicitly
excluded by loading the .el version) the pure size grows a little bit.

This means that there are a few extra objects that do not need to be
garbage collected every single time the garbage collector runs.

This is a small win, but it's free, so we should remove the
no-byte-compile marker in all these files.

* Re: byte-compiling files loaded in loadup.el
@ 2010-08-06 13:12 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2010-08-06 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Nicolaescu; +Cc: emacs-devel

> A little experiment shows that byte compiling any of the files in
> loadup.el that are currently not byte compiled (and not explicitly
> excluded by loading the .el version) the pure size grows a little bit.

> This means that there are a few extra objects that do not need to be
> garbage collected every single time the garbage collector runs.

Maybe it means instead that the byte-compiled versions use up
more space.

* Re: byte-compiling files loaded in loadup.el
@ 2010-08-06 18:21   ` Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2010-08-06 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

>> A little experiment shows that byte compiling any of the files in
>> loadup.el that are currently not byte compiled (and not explicitly
>> excluded by loading the .el version) the pure size grows a little bit.
>
>> This means that there are a few extra objects that do not need to be
>> garbage collected every single time the garbage collector runs.
>
> Maybe it means instead that the byte-compiled versions use up
> more space.

It might.
IMO we should still byte compile them, even if it's just for compile time error checking...