* Problem understanding git
@ 2008-05-23 11:54 Lynbech Christian
From: Lynbech Christian @ 2008-05-23 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

Thanks to the good help from the list, I now have a git repository to
track which will work with the company firewall.

But I am having some problems in finding how to get git to do what I want.

I have first cloned the repository from

        http://git.sv.gnu.org/r/emacs.git

Now I want to update this, ie. do the equivalent of a "cvs update".

On one machine, where I have git version 1.5.5.1, I just do a "git pull"
and the updates comes pouring in, but when I try the same on my laptop
where I only have git version 1.5.3.4, I get the following (to me)
cryptic error message:

        You asked me to pull without telling me which branch you
        want to merge with, and 'branch.master.merge' in
        your configuration file does not tell me either.  Please
        name which branch you want to merge on the command line and
        try again (e.g. 'git pull <repository> <refspec>').
        See git-pull(1) for details on the refspec.

        If you often merge with the same branch, you may want to
        configure the following variables in your configuration
        file:

            branch.master.remote = <nickname>
            branch.master.merge = <remote-ref>
            remote.<nickname>.url = <url>
            remote.<nickname>.fetch = <refspec>

        See git-config(1) for details.

I have so far been unable to deduce how to get the slightly older git
to do the update.

Is there a kind soul out there who could help enlighten me?

Christian Lynbech       | christian #\@ defun #\. dk
                                        - petonic@hal.com (Michael A. Petonic)

* Re: Problem understanding git
@ 2008-05-23 12:18 ` dhruva
From: dhruva @ 2008-05-23 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Lynbech Christian; +Cc: emacs-devel

Hi,

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 5:24 PM, Lynbech Christian
<christian.lynbech@tietoenator.com> wrote:
> On one machine, where I have git version 1.5.5.1, I just do a "git pull"
> and the updates comes pouring in, but when I try the same on my laptop
> where I only have git version 1.5.3.4, I get the following (to me)
> cryptic error message:
>
>        You asked me to pull without telling me which branch you
>        want to merge with, and 'branch.master.merge' in
>        your configuration file does not tell me either.  Please
>        name which branch you want to merge on the command line and
>        try again (e.g. 'git pull <repository> <refspec>').
>        See git-pull(1) for details on the refspec.

In the .git folder, there is a file 'config'. Ideally, it should have
the following entry:
[branch "master"]
        remote = origin
        merge = refs/heads/master

- Type 'git branch' and you should see a branch named 'master'.
- If you do see, type 'git checkout master' to explicitly switch to
the master branch and do a git pull.
- If you do not see the master branch, type 'git branch -a', you
should see a bunch of 'origin/*' entries of which there will be
'origin/master'.
- If you find 'origin/master', create a local master as 'git branch
--track master origin/master'

I get a feeling that you might have tried to checkout from a non local
branch by doing 'git branch origin/master' or something unknowingly (i
had done it once). Changing to local master by 'git checkout master'
followed by a 'git pull' might work.

-dky

--
Contents reflect my personal views only!

* Re: Problem understanding git
@ 2008-05-23 13:20   ` Lynbech Christian
From: Lynbech Christian @ 2008-05-23 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: dhruva; +Cc: emacs-devel

dhruva> [branch "master"]
dhruva>         remote = origin
dhruva>         merge = refs/heads/master

This is what it looks like.

dhruva> I get a feeling that you might have tried to checkout from a non local
dhruva> branch

I have only done a clone and then trying a pull. And it works as
expected with git 1.5.5.1 but not quite so with git 1.5.3.4. I have
tried the checkout you suggest:

        ~/Tools/UPSTREAM/emacs $ git checkout master
        Already on branch "master"

and then "git pull" makes the same report as before.

                              -- Christian

* Re: Problem understanding git
@ 2008-05-23 14:00     ` İsmail Dönmez
From: İsmail Dönmez @ 2008-05-23 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Lynbech Christian; +Cc: emacs-devel

Hi,

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 4:20 PM, Lynbech Christian

> dhruva> [branch "master"]
> dhruva>         remote = origin
> dhruva>         merge = refs/heads/master
>
> This is what it looks like.
>
> dhruva> I get a feeling that you might have tried to checkout from a non local
> dhruva> branch
>
> I have only done a clone and then trying a pull. And it works as
> expected with git 1.5.5.1 but not quite so with git 1.5.3.4. I have
> tried the checkout you suggest:
>
>        ~/Tools/UPSTREAM/emacs $ git checkout master
>        Already on branch "master"
>
> and then "git pull" makes the same report as before.

Did you try cloning with git protocol :

git clone git://git.sv.gnu.org/emacs.git

Regards,
ismail

--
Never learn by your mistakes, if you do you may never dare to try again.

* Re: Problem understanding git
@ 2008-05-23 15:31       ` dhruva
From: dhruva @ 2008-05-23 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: İsmail Dönmez; +Cc: Lynbech Christian, emacs-devel

Hi,

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 7:30 PM, İsmail Dönmez <ismail@namtrac.org> wrote:
>> and then "git pull" makes the same report as before.
>
> Did you try cloning with git protocol :
>
> git clone git://git.sv.gnu.org/emacs.git

The OP is behind a company firewall, hence I doubt if git protocol was
used, fairly certain it would be HTTP.

-dhruva

--

@ 2008-05-23 17:24         ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2008-05-23 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: dhruva; +Cc: Christian, İsmail Dönmez, emacs-devel

>>> and then "git pull" makes the same report as before.
>> Did you try cloning with git protocol :
>> git clone git://git.sv.gnu.org/emacs.git
> The OP is behind a company firewall, hence I doubt if git protocol was
> used, fairly certain it would be HTTP.

This doesn't seem on-topic for emacs-devel.  Can you move it elsewhere?