* widget-mouse-face problem
@ 2008-07-22 12:47 Jose A. Ortega Ruiz
From: Jose A. Ortega Ruiz @ 2008-07-22 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi,

i'm using a very recent emacs 23 compiled from CVS. i usually run it
from a screen session and use emacsclient -t in a urxvt, and,
occasionally, emacsclient -c to run an X instance. after i do the
latter, trying to enter any buffer containing widgets (e.g. a
customization buffer or an emacs-w3m page) fails with the following
error:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Symbol widget-mouse-face may not be buffer-local")
  make-local-variable(widget-mouse-face)
  Custom-mode()
  custom-buffer-create-internal(((widget-mouse-face custom-variable)) nil)
  custom-buffer-create(((widget-mouse-face custom-variable)) "*Customize Option: Widget Mouse Face*")
  customize-variable(widget-mouse-face)
  call-interactively(customize-variable t nil)
  execute-extended-command(nil)
  call-interactively(execute-extended-command nil nil)

(this is when i try to customize widget-mouse-face itself; similar
errors occur in the other cases). if i ask for the value of
widget-mouse-face, it's usually set to 'highlight.

Does this ring any bell?

Thanks!
jao
--
In this age, the mere example of nonconformity, the mere refusal to bend
the knee to custom, is itself a service.

* Re: widget-mouse-face problem
@ 2008-07-22 13:24 ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2008-07-22 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jose A. Ortega Ruiz; +Cc: emacs-devel

"Jose A. Ortega Ruiz" <jao@gnu.org> writes:

> i'm using a very recent emacs 23 compiled from CVS. i usually run it
> from a screen session and use emacsclient -t in a urxvt, and,
> occasionally, emacsclient -c to run an X instance. after i do the
> latter, trying to enter any buffer containing widgets (e.g. a
> customization buffer or an emacs-w3m page) fails with the following
> error:
>
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Symbol widget-mouse-face may not
> be buffer-local")

> (this is when i try to customize widget-mouse-face itself; similar
> errors occur in the other cases). if i ask for the value of
> widget-mouse-face, it's usually set to 'highlight.

I can't reproduce this on latest CVS, i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
2.12.9.  What's your setup?  Please send a precise recipe for
reproducing this bug, beginning with emacs -Q.

* Re: widget-mouse-face problem
@ 2008-07-22 13:27 ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2008-07-22 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

"Jose A. Ortega Ruiz" <jao@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> i'm using a very recent emacs 23 compiled from CVS. i usually run it
> from a screen session and use emacsclient -t in a urxvt, and,
> occasionally, emacsclient -c to run an X instance. after i do the
> latter, trying to enter any buffer containing widgets (e.g. a
> customization buffer or an emacs-w3m page) fails with the following
> error:
>
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Symbol widget-mouse-face may not be buffer-local")
>   make-local-variable(widget-mouse-face)
>   Custom-mode()
>   custom-buffer-create-internal(((widget-mouse-face custom-variable)) nil)
>   custom-buffer-create(((widget-mouse-face custom-variable)) "*Customize Option: Widget Mouse Face*")
>   customize-variable(widget-mouse-face)
>   call-interactively(customize-variable t nil)
>   execute-extended-command(nil)
>   call-interactively(execute-extended-command nil nil)
>
> (this is when i try to customize widget-mouse-face itself; similar
> errors occur in the other cases). if i ask for the value of
> widget-mouse-face, it's usually set to 'highlight.
>
> Does this ring any bell?

Variable can't be made both buffer local (make-local-variable) and frame
local (make-variable-frame-local). Do you use color-theme?

--
Johan Bockgård

* Re: widget-mouse-face problem
@ 2008-07-22 14:38   ` Jose A. Ortega Ruiz
From: Jose A. Ortega Ruiz @ 2008-07-22 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

bojohan+news@dd.chalmers.se (Johan Bockgård) writes:

> "Jose A. Ortega Ruiz" <jao@gnu.org> writes:

[...]

>> Does this ring any bell?
>
> Variable can't be made both buffer local (make-local-variable) and frame
> local (make-variable-frame-local). Do you use color-theme?

Yes, that seems to be the problem. In my theme file, widget-mouse-face
was set to 'highlight, with a form (widget-mouse-face . highlight) near
the beginning. Removing this assignment seems to fix my problem: is this
the right fix?

Thanks!
jao
--
"Only the creatively intelligent can prosper in the Lisp world."
 -Richard Gabriel

* Re: widget-mouse-face problem
@ 2008-07-28 20:27     ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2008-07-28 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

"Jose A. Ortega Ruiz" <jao@gnu.org> writes:

> bojohan+news@dd.chalmers.se (Johan Bockgård) writes:
>
>> Variable can't be made both buffer local (make-local-variable) and frame
>> local (make-variable-frame-local). Do you use color-theme?
>
> Yes, that seems to be the problem. In my theme file, widget-mouse-face
> was set to 'highlight, with a form (widget-mouse-face . highlight) near
> the beginning. Removing this assignment seems to fix my problem: is this
> the right fix?

Frame local variables are deprecated and Emacs 23 signals an error when
trying to make a frame local variable buffer local (or vice versa), so
color-theme should avoid make-variable-frame-local. Also see
color-theme-is-global.

(I don't use color-theme.)

--
Johan Bockgård