* Etags & Ebrowse: Recurse support
@ 2004-09-30  5:01 Dhruva Krishnamurthy
From: Dhruva Krishnamurthy @ 2004-09-30  5:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,
 IMO, we need a recurse functionality in both ebrowse and etags
utilities. Looking forward to the views/feedbacks from the developers.

Rational behind the requirement:
1. I cannot use 'find . -type f | xargs etags .....
    Because the command line argument has a size limit.
2. If I write a shell script to read files one by one and feed it to
etags (in append) mode, etags.exe will get invoked as many times as
the number of files.
3. Atleast ebrowse has an option to read a list of files from a file.
The issue is I need to keep this file updated (to avoid missing files
and remove entries of removed files).

with best regards,
dhruva

--
Proud FSF member: #1935
http://schemer.fateback.com/

* Re: Etags & Ebrowse: Recurse support
@ 2004-09-30  9:45 ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2004-09-30  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dhruva Krishnamurthy <dhruva.krishnamurthy@gmail.com> writes:

> 1. I cannot use 'find . -type f | xargs etags .....
>     Because the command line argument has a size limit.

>From the Emacs manual:

    When you want to make a tags table from a great number of files,
    you may have problems listing them on the command line, because
    some systems have a limit on its length. The simplest way to
    circumvent this limit is to tell `etags' to read the file names
    from its standard input, by typing a dash in place of the file
    names, like this:

        find . -name "*.[chCH]" -print | etags -

--
Johan Bockgård