* vc-annotate upper case key bindings are annoying
@ 2008-03-08  2:07 Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2008-03-08  2:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Am I the only one that thinks that vc-annotate's upper case commands are
annoying?
To do a diff from vc-log you use 'd', from vc-annotate you do 'D'

Is using upper case letters because of using view-mode? (if Miles'
replacement view-mode get's installed, vc-annotate should use it in an
instant).
Of vc-diff, vc-log and vc-annotate only vc-annotate uses upper case key
bindings...

Thoughts?

* Re: vc-annotate upper case key bindings are annoying
@ 2008-03-08  9:35 ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2008-03-08  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Dan Nicolaescu <dann@ics.uci.edu> writes:

> Am I the only one that thinks that vc-annotate's upper case commands are
> annoying?
> To do a diff from vc-log you use 'd', from vc-annotate you do 'D'
>
> Is using upper case letters because of using view-mode?

Yes.  See

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2004-01/msg00279.html

--
Johan Bockgård

* Re: vc-annotate upper case key bindings are annoying
@ 2008-03-08 17:31   ` Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2008-03-08 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

bojohan+news@dd.chalmers.se (Johan Bockgård) writes:

  > Dan Nicolaescu <dann@ics.uci.edu> writes:
  >
  > > Am I the only one that thinks that vc-annotate's upper case commands are
  > > annoying?
  > > To do a diff from vc-log you use 'd', from vc-annotate you do 'D'
  > >
  > > Is using upper case letters because of using view-mode?
  >
  > Yes.  See
  >
  > http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2004-01/msg00279.html

Thanks.

Now looking a bit in more details:
l, j and v are not used by view-mode so they could be easily used for
vc-annotate-revision-at-line, vc-annotate-show-log-revision-at-line and
vc-annotate-toggle-annotation-visibility, respectively.

d would be nice to use for vc-annotate-show-diff-revision-at-line, but
view-mode uses it.
What is the most elegant way to make the 'd' binding work despite
view-mode?
(IMO we should just not use view-mode in this case, does it provide any
interesting advantage?)

@ 2008-03-08 17:39     ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2008-03-08 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Nicolaescu; +Cc: emacs-devel

Dan Nicolaescu <dann@ics.uci.edu> writes:
> What is the most elegant way to make the 'd' binding work despite
> view-mode?  (IMO we should just not use view-mode in this case, does
> it provide any interesting advantage?)

view-mode has lots of "features", which eat up bindings, and I suspect
almost nobody ever uses...

-Miles

--
Custard, n. A vile concoction produced by a malevolent conspiracy of the hen,
the cow, and the cook.

* Re: vc-annotate upper case key bindings are annoying
@ 2008-03-08 20:41       ` Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2008-03-08 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miles Bader; +Cc: emacs-devel

Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> writes:

  > Dan Nicolaescu <dann@ics.uci.edu> writes:
  > > What is the most elegant way to make the 'd' binding work despite
  > > view-mode?  (IMO we should just not use view-mode in this case, does
  > > it provide any interesting advantage?)
  >
  > view-mode has lots of "features", which eat up bindings, and I suspect
  > almost nobody ever uses...

If the view-mode replacement that you posted recently is added, I'd be
happy to make vc-annotate use it.
Meanwhile, is there any problem with not using view-mode at all?