Eli Zaretskii writes: >> From: Andrea Corallo >> Cc: dieter@duenenhof-wilhelm.de, corwin@bru.st, emacs-devel@gnu.org >> Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2022 09:21:52 +0000 >> >> Andrea Corallo writes: >> >> > Eli Zaretskii writes: >> >> [...] >> >> >>> Anyway I was thinking if it wouldn't be correct to emit also a warning >> >>> if libgccjit is not available. This condition could prevent some >> >>> package to work as expected (ex evil-mode IIRC) so might be worth to >> >>> inform the user that and emacs compiled with native-comp is being run >> >>> without libgccjit being available. >> >> >> >> I'm not sure I see the usefulness of such a warning. If Emacs works >> >> correctly regardless, the warning could annoy. So I tend to think we >> >> should introduce the warning only if enough users complain that Emacs >> >> silently does something they'd prefer to know about. >> > >> > I think it might be useful for two reasons: >> > >> > 1- let the user know that a native compiled Emacs is being run without >> > access to libgccjit, not only it might not function as expected but >> > most likely I guess that if the user compiled a native compiled Emacs >> > he wants to have it working with native code. So in general I guess >> > it might be informative. >> > >> > 2- help us identifying the issue when a bug is opened because of it, if >> > we suspect that's the problem we can ask the user to have a look to >> > the warnings. >> > >> > But indeed I'm not sure it's worth of so I asked. >> > >> > An alternative to point two would be having a trace of this in M-x >> > report-emacs-bug. >> >> Thinking about I think this might be a good idea anyway. > > I agree. Would you mind proposing a patch? Sure, something like: