From: Andrea Corallo <akrl@sdf.org>
To: emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: feature/native-comp, comp-deferred-compilation: no recompilation when .elc newer than .eln?
Date: Fri, 15 May 2020 19:43:12 +0000	[thread overview]

Gregor Zattler <telegraph@gmx.net> writes:

> Dear Andrea, emacs developers,
>
> I gave feature/native-comp in combination with
> `comp-deferred-compilation` a try.  I use org-mode from git
> master and it's .elc files eventually were compiled to .eln
> files.  Works like a charm.
>
> Then I updated org-mode (make update) since there was a (for
> me) important bug fix.  Now org.elc is newer than org.el
> which in turn is newer than org.eln.
>
> But nonetheless the org.eln file does not get re-created
> according from the newer org.elc file.
>
> Is this on purpose?
>
> Ciao; Gregor

Hi Gregor,

I'm not sure the sequence of events is clear to me, especially how the
the new org was loaded after it was compiled calling make.

Deferred compilation logic to date works as follow: if an elc is being
loaded, is lexical and the corresponding source is found, then an async
compilation is queued.  No file date is taken in account.

Is it possible that the old eln is still being loaded because
load-prefer-newer is nil?

Thanks for testing it, ciao!

Andrea

--