I was just starting to do an exercise on a programming practice website, and happened to paste some example data from the site in to my Emacs buffer, without thinking anything of it. It happened to be over 2000 characters on one line and Emacs froze for a while. Fortunately, it wasn't much more, or the freeze would have been even longer. Somehow, I think we have to find a solution that works when any long line has to be displayed in a buffer, not just when we open a file. By the way, I tried adding the longlines.el workaround function to my compilation-mode-hook and running a program that printed 10000 characters on a single line to the compilation-mode buffer, and the longlines.el workaround did not help. Emacs still froze.