* Lots and lots of symbols interned by calc
@ 2010-04-22 16:58 Leo
From: Leo @ 2010-04-22 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: jay.p.belanger

Hello,

I have found the memory used by emacs goes up monotonously, for example,
my current emacs session (up for 1 day 5 hours) takes up 101M with no
visiting files. It is the third most memory hungry application right
after the browser and a pdf viewer.

I have found calc interned lots and lots of symbols (for example:
abs\(1:\), Help\ on\ Stack, etc) into obarray. To see it:

1. Emacs -q
2. M-x calc
3. C-h v obarray

I wonder is there's a bug or a fault in calc.

Cheers,

Leo

* Re: Lots and lots of symbols interned by calc
@ 2010-04-22 18:08 ` Jay Belanger
From: Jay Belanger @ 2010-04-22 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo; +Cc: jay.p.belanger, emacs-devel

> Hello,
>
> I have found the memory used by emacs goes up monotonously, for example,
> my current emacs session (up for 1 day 5 hours) takes up 101M with no
> visiting files. It is the third most memory hungry application right
> after the browser and a pdf viewer.
>
> I have found calc interned lots and lots of symbols (for example:
> abs\(1:\), Help\ on\ Stack, etc) into obarray. To see it:

Those are menu entries.  I'm a bit surprised that they are interned, but
I don't think Calc does anything unusual in creating its menus.

* Re: Lots and lots of symbols interned by calc
@ 2010-04-22 18:17   ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2010-04-22 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jay.p.belanger; +Cc: Leo, emacs-devel

Jay Belanger <jay.p.belanger@gmail.com> writes:

>> I have found the memory used by emacs goes up monotonously, for example,
>> my current emacs session (up for 1 day 5 hours) takes up 101M with no
>> visiting files. It is the third most memory hungry application right
>> after the browser and a pdf viewer.
>>
>> I have found calc interned lots and lots of symbols (for example:
>> abs\(1:\), Help\ on\ Stack, etc) into obarray. To see it:
>
> Those are menu entries.  I'm a bit surprised that they are interned, but
> I don't think Calc does anything unusual in creating its menus.

Anyway, I don't see how such symbols can take up so much memory.  Maybe
Leo can experiment to see if a session that does not run calc has the
same problem.

* Re: Lots and lots of symbols interned by calc
@ 2010-04-22 19:14     ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2010-04-22 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On 2010-04-22 19:17 +0100, Chong Yidong wrote:
>> Those are menu entries.  I'm a bit surprised that they are interned, but
>> I don't think Calc does anything unusual in creating its menus.

Other packages also have this problem, for example, gnus and emacs-w3m.
Oddly not all menus have that problem. For example I created a
customised-user-menu for myself in init.el and non of those strings were
interned.

> Anyway, I don't see how such symbols can take up so much memory.  Maybe
> Leo can experiment to see if a session that does not run calc has the
> same problem.

From my experience, it seems 100M is common. It goes up with time. I
don't know whether that's normal. But I have never seen the memory used
goes down. When I first fire up Emacs, it uses ~25M.

Leo