* is the bug tracker down?
@ 2009-08-19  3:34 Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2009-08-19  3:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Just wondering. I submitted three bugs today, the first was almost 12 hours ago.
None has yet shown up on the bug Web page, and I've received no email acks (or
any other mail from the bug list since about 32 hours ago).

* Re: is the bug tracker down?
@ 2009-08-19  8:40 ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2009-08-19  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On 2009-08-19 04:34 +0100, Drew Adams wrote:
> Just wondering. I submitted three bugs today, the first was almost 12 hours ago.
> None has yet shown up on the bug Web page, and I've received no email acks (or
> any other mail from the bug list since about 32 hours ago).

It seems it is not sending out emails.

--
Leo's Emacs uptime: 15 days, 8 hours, 37 minutes, 15 seconds

* RE: is the bug tracker down?
@ 2009-08-19 13:59   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2009-08-19 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Leo', emacs-devel

> > Just wondering. I submitted three bugs today, the first was
> > almost 12 hours ago. None has yet shown up on the bug Web
> > page, and I've received no email acks (or any other mail
> > from the bug list since about 32 hours ago).
>
> It seems it is not sending out emails.

It seems it is also not updating the Web page (since 2009-08-17).
http://emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=emacs#_0_4_4

None of the bugs I submitted yesterday have yet shown up there, and I don't see
any other new bugs there since 8/17. And still no email.

Is the bug tracker doing anything? Is it now equivalent to /dev/null? (That
would be one way to keep down the bug count. ;-) )

* RE: is the bug tracker down?
@ 2009-08-20 15:27     ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2009-08-20 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Leo', emacs-devel

> > > Just wondering. I submitted three bugs today, the first was
> > > almost 12 hours ago. None has yet shown up on the bug Web
> > > page, and I've received no email acks (or any other mail
> > > from the bug list since about 32 hours ago).
> >
> > It seems it is not sending out emails.
>
> It seems it is also not updating the Web page (since 2009-08-17).
> http://emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=emacs
>
> None of the bugs I submitted yesterday have yet shown up
> there, and I don't see
> any other new bugs there since 8/17. And still no email.
>
> Is the bug tracker doing anything? Is it now equivalent to
> /dev/null? (That would be one way to keep down the bug count. ;-) )

Does no one care that the bug tracker is seemingly on vacation? Or is someone
looking into it?

No bugs appear in the tracker after 8/17 (bug #4182). I've submitted 5 bugs
since then, but nothing was acknowledged. No email, no Web page update, nada.

No response here on the subject either, except Leo's confirmation of the
problem.

@ 2009-08-20 15:49         ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2009-08-20 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@ieee.org> writes:

>         As I suspected, no one bothered to inform Don about it. He does
>  not usually monitor this list.

Or maybe he could monitor the list?

--
 Bastien

* Re: is the bug tracker down?
@ 2009-08-20 19:33       ` Manoj Srivastava
From: Manoj Srivastava @ 2009-08-20 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Thu, Aug 20 2009, Drew Adams wrote:

> Does no one care that the bug tracker is seemingly on vacation? Or is
> someone looking into it?
>
> No bugs appear in the tracker after 8/17 (bug #4182). I've submitted 5 bugs
> since then, but nothing was acknowledged. No email, no Web page update, nada.
>
> No response here on the subject either, except Leo's confirmation of the
> problem.
>
> http://emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=emacs

        As I suspected, no one bothered to inform Don about it. He does
 not usually monitor this list. I informed him on IRC, I think something
 shall happen.

        The next time people see something wrong but the bug tracking
 system, perhaps they should inform the person in charge, as well as
 this list?

        manoj
--
Some marriages are made in heaven -- but so are thunder and lightning.

* RE: is the bug tracker down?
@ 2009-08-20 20:15         ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2009-08-20 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Manoj Srivastava', emacs-devel

> As I suspected, no one bothered to inform Don about
> it. He does not usually monitor this list. I informed
> him on IRC, I think something shall happen.

Thanks. It seems to be up again.

* Re: is the bug tracker down?
@ 2009-08-20 23:29           ` Manoj Srivastava
From: Manoj Srivastava @ 2009-08-20 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Thu, Aug 20 2009, Bastien wrote:

> Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@ieee.org> writes:
>
>>         As I suspected, no one bothered to inform Don about it. He does
>>  not usually monitor this list.
>
> Or maybe he could monitor the list?

        He is not involved in emacs development; and he is volunteering
 his time to provide us a BTS.  I am not sure if I would tax him to add
 another mailing list to monitor to what he already does.

        If no one else signs on to notif the BTS
 operator, I suppose I can act as a conduit; but I am merely an
 interested user of Emacs, and am not otherwise involved in Emacs
 development -- it may take me a couple of days to notice, as it did
 this time.

         I just thought it would e simple to add a note somewhere
 that if you notice something wrong with the BTS, send mail to don's
 contact address.

        manoj
--
No problem is so formidable that you can't just walk away from
it. Schulz

* Re: is the bug tracker down?
@ 2009-08-22  9:34             ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2009-08-22  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi Manoj,

Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@ieee.org> writes:

>> Or maybe he could monitor the list?
>
>         He is not involved in emacs development; and he is volunteering
>  his time to provide us a BTS.  I am not sure if I would tax him to add
>  another mailing list to monitor to what he already does.

I don't want to criticize Don's contribution at all, but I would think
of "make sure the BTS is working properly" as part of "provide a BTS".

>          I just thought it would e simple to add a note somewhere
>  that if you notice something wrong with the BTS, send mail to don's
>  contact address.

Yes, this we should do, obviously.

 Bastien

* Re: is the bug tracker down?
@ 2009-08-22 10:49               ` Stephen J. Turnbull
From: Stephen J. Turnbull @ 2009-08-22 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-devel

Bastien writes:

 > I don't want to criticize Don's contribution at all, but I would think
 > of "make sure the BTS is working properly" as part of "provide a BTS".

He's probably watching logs, but they don't always show this kind of
problem.  If he's not submitting bugs and not watching emacs-devel,
how's he gonna know?  Responding promptly to problem reports is about
as far he should go in "making sure", IMHO.  That's pretty much what
everybody does (savannah and sourceforge, for example).

 > >          I just thought it would e simple to add a note somewhere
 > >  that if you notice something wrong with the BTS, send mail to don's
 > >  contact address.
 >
 > Yes, this we should do, obviously.

It's already there on every page of the bugs website.

The issue here is not that Don isn't doing his job, it's that the
tracker is not yet a central part of the Emacs workflow, and Stefan
and Yidong can very well get their work done without it.  It will
come; it's a better way of doing things ... just not the Emacs way,
yet.

* Re: is the bug tracker down?
@ 2009-08-23 10:15                 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2009-08-23 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen J. Turnbull; +Cc: emacs-devel

> The issue here is not that Don isn't doing his job, it's that the
> tracker is not yet a central part of the Emacs workflow, and Stefan
> and Yidong can very well get their work done without it.  It will
> come; it's a better way of doing things ... just not the Emacs way,
> yet.

I'm not sure it will come.

Karl's suggestion to consider Launchpad as the Emacs bug tracker is
actually worth discussing more than it has been.

--
 Bastien