* Default history does not work with Lisp regexps
@ 2004-08-01 11:59 David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2004-08-01 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ok, here is the gist of a bug report.  I have not sent it to the bug
list since I don't need any review for getting this classified as
something we need to do something about.

Basically this boils down to the question: what do we enter in the
history list, the compiled Lisp expression or a string?  If we enter a
string, then we need to go through compilation again in case somebody
just hits RET in order to get the defaults.

Any objections?

Recent input:

C-M-% [ 0 - 9 ] + <return>
\ , ( 1 + SPC \ # & ) <return> q C-M-% <return> y
M-x r e p o r t - e <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
Replaced 0 occurrences
Mark set
Entering debugger...

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Invalid use of `\\' in replacement text")
  replace-match("\\,(1+ \\#&)" nil nil)
  replace-match-maybe-edit("\\,(1+ \\#&)" nil nil nil (77 81 #<buffer replace.el>))
  perform-replace("[0-9]+" "\\,(1+ \\#&)" t t nil nil nil nil nil)
  query-replace-regexp("[0-9]+" "\\,(1+ \\#&)" nil nil nil)
  call-interactively(query-replace-regexp)

* Re: Default history does not work with Lisp regexps
@ 2004-08-01 13:00 ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2004-08-01 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:

> Basically this boils down to the question: what do we enter in the
> history list, the compiled Lisp expression or a string?  If we enter
> a string, then we need to go through compilation again in case
> somebody just hits RET in order to get the defaults.

Applied a fix doing just that.

* Re: Default history does not work with Lisp regexps
@ 2004-08-01 22:39 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2004-08-01 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

I think the interactive form should just read the string,
and the processing of these \-operators should occur inside
the function, noninteractively.