* Display Unicode on Mac OS X?
@ 2004-03-22 20:31 David Wheeler
       [not found] ` <87ekrk70vw.fsf@mail.jurta.org>
From: David Wheeler @ 2004-03-22 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi All,

I'm using Emacs 21.3.50.2 from CVS (compiled 2003-12-11) on Mac OS X
with the Carbon support. I'd like to be able to view Unicode (utf-8)
content, and use a font that supports it, but Emacs does not display
most Unicode characters (those that are > 255, it appears). This may be
a FAQ, but since Emacs from CVS doesn't have Mule anymore, I've been
unable to figure out how to get it to display the Unicode characters.

Any pointers or instructions would be greatly appreciated.

Many TIA,

David

PS: I'm not on the list, so please Cc me on replies. Thanks!

* Re: Display Unicode on Mac OS X?
@ 2004-03-22 23:30 ` Piet van Oostrum
       [not found] ` <87ekrk70vw.fsf@mail.jurta.org>
From: Piet van Oostrum @ 2004-03-22 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

DW> Hi All,
DW> I'm using Emacs 21.3.50.2 from CVS (compiled 2003-12-11) on Mac OS X with
DW> the Carbon support. I'd like to be able to view Unicode (utf-8) content,
DW> and use a font that supports it, but Emacs does not display most Unicode
DW> characters (those that are > 255, it appears). This may be a FAQ, but since
DW> Emacs from CVS doesn't have Mule anymore, I've been unable to figure out
DW> how to get it to display the Unicode characters.

DW> Any pointers or instructions would be greatly appreciated.

Do you have something like (set-frame-font "fontset-mac") in your .emacs?
--
Piet van Oostrum <piet@cs.uu.nl>
Private email: P.van.Oostrum@hccnet.nl

@ 2004-03-23  3:55   ` David Wheeler
From: David Wheeler @ 2004-03-23  3:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

> DW> Hi All,
> DW> I'm using Emacs 21.3.50.2 from CVS (compiled 2003-12-11) on Mac OS
> X with
> DW> the Carbon support. I'd like to be able to view Unicode (utf-8)
> content,
> DW> and use a font that supports it, but Emacs does not display most
> Unicode
> DW> characters (those that are > 255, it appears). This may be a FAQ,
> but since
> DW> Emacs from CVS doesn't have Mule anymore, I've been unable to
> figure out
> DW> how to get it to display the Unicode characters.
>
> DW> Any pointers or instructions would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Do you have something like (set-frame-font "fontset-mac") in your
> .emacs?

No. And adding it appears to make no difference.

Regards,

David

* Re: Display Unicode on Mac OS X?
@ 2004-03-23  8:30     ` Piet van Oostrum
From: Piet van Oostrum @ 2004-03-23  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> Do you have something like (set-frame-font "fontset-mac") in your .emacs?

DW> No. And adding it appears to make no difference.

Maybe you have emacs set to unibyte somewhere. For example by calling
standard-display-european in your .emacs file.

Check the value of the variables `enable-multibyte-characters' and
`default-enable-multibyte-characters'.