* When are toolkit file dialogs used?
@ 2005-02-01 13:30 Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2005-02-01 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

In man/files.texi I am rewriting

  When Emacs is built with a suitable GUI toolkit, it pops up the
standard File Selection dialog of that toolkit instead of prompting for
the file name in the minibuffer.  On Unix and GNU/Linux platforms, Emacs
does that when built with LessTif and Motif toolkits; on MS-Windows, the
GUI version does that by default.

as follows:

  When Emacs is built with a suitable GUI toolkit, commands invoked
with the mouse use standard File Selection dialog of that toolkit
instead of prompting for the file name in the minibuffer.  On Unix and
GNU/Linux platforms, Emacs does that when built with GTK, LessTif, and
Motif toolkits; on MS-Windows, the GUI version does that by default.

However, is that correct nowadays?  Or is more changed needed?

* Re: When are toolkit file dialogs used?
@ 2005-02-01 14:35 ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2005-02-01 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Emacs Devel

>   When Emacs is built with a suitable GUI toolkit, commands invoked
> with the mouse use standard File Selection dialog of that toolkit
> instead of prompting for the file name in the minibuffer.  On Unix and
> GNU/Linux platforms, Emacs does that when built with GTK, LessTif, and
> Motif toolkits; on MS-Windows, the GUI version does that by default.
>

> However, is that correct nowadays?  Or is more changed needed?

Not quite on MS Windows. It seems to use the GUI version when for example
New File is choosen from the menus, regardless of whether the keyboard or
mouse is used. If instead C-x C-f is used then Emacs prompts in the
minibuffer.

I can not either get the GUI version of Open Directory to work. There is no
way that I can find out to actually choose a directory. It is also not the
standard GUI for choosing a directory on MS Windows. (I think it should use
SHBrowseForFolder.)

* Re: When are toolkit file dialogs used?
@ 2005-02-01 15:34   ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2005-02-01 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: rms, Emacs Devel

Lennart Borgman wrote:

>I can not either get the GUI version of Open Directory to work. There is no
>way that I can find out to actually choose a directory.

What about pressing "Open" without selecting anything?

> It is also not the
>standard GUI for choosing a directory on MS Windows. (I think it should use
>SHBrowseForFolder.)

SHBrowseForFolder involves unecessary COM/OLE library calls, and is not
available on Windows 9x/ME.

* Re: When are toolkit file dialogs used?
@ 2005-02-01 15:51     ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2005-02-01 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: rms, Emacs Devel

From: Jan D. @ 2005-02-01 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> In man/files.texi I am rewriting
>
>   When Emacs is built with a suitable GUI toolkit, it pops up the
> standard File Selection dialog of that toolkit instead of prompting for
> the file name in the minibuffer.  On Unix and GNU/Linux platforms,
> Emacs
> does that when built with LessTif and Motif toolkits; on MS-Windows,
> the
> GUI version does that by default.
>
> as follows:
>
>   When Emacs is built with a suitable GUI toolkit, commands invoked
> with the mouse use standard File Selection dialog of that toolkit
> instead of prompting for the file name in the minibuffer.  On Unix and
> GNU/Linux platforms, Emacs does that when built with GTK, LessTif, and
> Motif toolkits; on MS-Windows, the GUI version does that by default.
>

> However, is that correct nowadays?  Or is more changed needed?

I don't know if this is the appropriate place, but the variable
use-file-dialog also controls if a file dialog is used (the variable is
new in 21.4).  use-file-dialog is documented in frames.texi so maybe it
is redundant to mention it in files.texi also.

C-h v use-file-dialog

*Non-nil means mouse commands use a file dialog to ask for files.
This applies to commands from menus and tool bar buttons.  The value of
`use-dialog-box' takes precedence over this variable, so a file dialog
is only
used if both `use-dialog-box' and this variable are non-nil.

	Jan D.

* Re: When are toolkit file dialogs used?
@ 2005-02-01 19:02   ` chad brown
From: chad brown @ 2005-02-01 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: rms, emacs-devel

Under Mac OS X, with the carbon support enabled, the file selection
dialogs are used if prompted by the toolbar, but not from, for example,
C-x C-f.  I do not use the toolbar normally, and I have not seen the
file selection dialog before now, so I assume it follows the same
use-file-dialog methods as other gui toolkits.

*chad

@ 2005-02-02  8:18 ` YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu @ 2005-02-02  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> However, is that correct nowadays?  Or is more changed needed?

As for Mac OS 9, file dialogs cannot be used at the moment.  But I'm
now enabling Carbon API support on Mac OS 9, where one can use dialogs
as in the Mac OS X/Carbon version.  The code is ready, but "make"
stuff is not yet.

				     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
				mituharu@math.s.chiba-u.ac.jp

* Re: When are toolkit file dialogs used?
@ 2005-02-03 19:12   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2005-02-03 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    > However, is that correct nowadays?  Or is more changed needed?

    As for Mac OS 9, file dialogs cannot be used at the moment.

It is not worth discussing MacOS in that part of the manual.
Especially not old versions of Mac OS.  Especially not bugs
that people will soon fix.