* comments on "TAB indents the region when the region is active"
@ 2007-10-20 23:22 Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2007-10-20 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

When TAB was changed to do "indent-region when the region is active"
by default.
RMS asked that after some time I ask here if people like/dislike this
feature.

Can you please let me know if you have an opinion about this?

If you dislike it, please explain why. Please keep in mind that this
feature is intended to be useful by default to the majority of users.

Thanks

        --dan

* Re: comments on "TAB indents the region when the region is active"
@ 2007-10-21 20:41 ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2007-10-21 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Nicolaescu; +Cc: emacs-devel

> When TAB was changed to do "indent-region when the region is active"
> by default.
> RMS asked that after some time I ask here if people like/dislike this
> feature.
>
> Can you please let me know if you have an opinion about this?

I like it.  I still don't know what useful it could do in text modes,
but in programming modes it works well.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/

* Re: comments on "TAB indents the region when the region is active"
@ 2007-10-21 20:55   ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2007-10-21 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juri Linkov; +Cc: Dan Nicolaescu, emacs-devel

Juri Linkov wrote:
>> When TAB was changed to do "indent-region when the region is active"
>> by default.
>> RMS asked that after some time I ask here if people like/dislike this
>> feature.
>>
>> Can you please let me know if you have an opinion about this?
>
> I like it.  I still don't know what useful it could do in text modes,
> but in programming modes it works well.

I like it too. It is of course just as useful for XML/HTML etc.

* Re: comments on "TAB indents the region when the region is active"
@ 2007-10-22  8:51 ` René Kyllingstad
From: René Kyllingstad @ 2007-10-22  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Nicolaescu; +Cc: emacs-devel

* Dan Nicolaescu:
>  When TAB was changed to do "indent-region when the region is active"
>  by default.
>  RMS asked that after some time I ask here if people like/dislike this
>  feature.
>
>  Can you please let me know if you have an opinion about this?

I really like it. When I first started using Emacs (in 1997), I tried
marking a region and pressing tab to indent it.  Disappointed that it only
indented the first line I drummed through with arrow-down and tab.  It was
only much later, having read up on elisp, that I bound tab to my own
indent-line-or-region command.

I don't want to have to remember separate key bindings - there are too many
as it is.

-- René

* Re: comments on "TAB indents the region when the region is active"
@ 2007-10-23  7:12     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-10-23  7:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman (gmail); +Cc: juri, dann, emacs-devel

It sounds like this is useful.  That is good.

(When I asked the question, I thought we were deciding whether
to install this change.  I did not realize it had already been
installed.)