* 23.0.60; pcvs cvs-query-directory changed behavior
@ 2008-04-18 13:57 Rodrigo Amestica
From: Rodrigo Amestica @ 2008-04-18 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-pretest-bug

cvs-query-directory now requires a prefix command for not reusing the
current directory in a cvs buffer. Before it was always asking for a
directory, defaulting to the current one. I found that behavior better
than the new one.

An option like 'cvs-force-dir-prompt' should be provided as for over
ruling the new behavior or for forcing the old behavior. Having such an
option is better than trying to remember the prefix when I'm already
in a cvs buffer.

thanks,
 Rodrigo

as to not reuse the
current directory
In GNU Emacs 23.0.60.2 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2008-02-26 on trauko
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.60802000
configured using `configure  '--prefix=/export/data/users/ramestic/local' '--exec-prefix=/export/data/users/ramestic/local' '--enable-font-backend''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_US
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: iso-latin-1-unix
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  delete-selection-mode: t
  cua-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  global-auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:

Recent messages:
Setting up ede...done
Setting up eieio...done
Setting up semantic...done
Setting up speedbar...done
Setting up cedet-contrib...done
Toggling tooltip-mode off; better pass an explicit argument.
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

* Re: 23.0.60; pcvs cvs-query-directory changed behavior
@ 2008-04-18 17:52 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2008-04-18 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rodrigo Amestica; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug

> cvs-query-directory now requires a prefix command for not reusing the
> current directory in a cvs buffer.  Before it was always asking for a
> directory, defaulting to the current one.  I found that behavior better
> than the new one.

IIUC this behavior has been around since at least Emacs-21 (i.e. since
before PCL-CVS was integrated in Emacs).

I'm not sure an option is worth the trouble.
If you always want the prompt, then always use C-u.

But maybe if you explained your use-case, I could offer an alternative.
E.g. with which command do you see this problem?  cvs-update?
cvs-quickdir? ...?  For what it's worth, I *never* go through this
prompt: I always first open a *cvs* buffer via C-u C-x C-f .../CVS/ RET
(actually, without the C-u, because I changed `cvs-dired-use-hook') and
then do all the operations inside the *cvs* buffer.

* Re: 23.0.60; pcvs cvs-query-directory changed behavior
@ 2008-04-21 15:07   ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2008-04-21 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug

>> cvs-query-directory now requires a prefix command for not reusing the
>> current directory in a cvs buffer.  Before it was always asking for a
>> directory, defaulting to the current one.  I found that behavior
>> better than the new one.

> IIUC this behavior has been around since at least Emacs-21 (i.e. since
> before PCL-CVS was integrated in Emacs).

2007-08-25  Reiner Steib  <Reiner.Steib@gmx.de>

        * pcvs.el (cvs-query-directory): Only prompt when prefix is given.
        Don't behave differently when executed via M-x.  Add doc string.

--
Johan Bockgård

* Re: 23.0.60; pcvs cvs-query-directory changed behavior
@ 2008-04-21 16:02     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2008-04-21 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Reiner Steib, Johan Bockg\x1fFFFFFFrd, Rodrigo Amestica; +Cc: emacs-devel

>>> cvs-query-directory now requires a prefix command for not reusing the
>>> current directory in a cvs buffer.  Before it was always asking for a
>>> directory, defaulting to the current one.  I found that behavior
>>> better than the new one.

>> IIUC this behavior has been around since at least Emacs-21 (i.e. since
>> before PCL-CVS was integrated in Emacs).

> 2007-08-25  Reiner Steib  <Reiner.Steib@gmx.de>

>         * pcvs.el (cvs-query-directory): Only prompt when prefix is given.
>         Don't behave differently when executed via M-x.  Add doc string.

Oh, so you mean that when you used M-x to run the command, it always
prompted you (i.e. you could either use the C-u prefix or run the
command via M-x in order to get a prompt), whereas now only C-u works.

Yes, I'm not sure why Reiner made this change, Reiner?

* Re: 23.0.60; pcvs cvs-query-directory changed behavior
@ 2008-04-21 16:20       ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2008-04-21 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Amestica, emacs-devel, Johan Bockgård

On Mon, Apr 21 2008, Stefan Monnier wrote:

>> 2007-08-25  Reiner Steib  <Reiner.Steib@gmx.de>
>
>>         * pcvs.el (cvs-query-directory): Only prompt when prefix is given.
>>         Don't behave differently when executed via M-x.  Add doc string.
>
> Oh, so you mean that when you used M-x to run the command, it always
> prompted you (i.e. you could either use the C-u prefix or run the
> command via M-x in order to get a prompt), whereas now only C-u works.
>
> Yes, I'm not sure why Reiner made this change, Reiner?

We discussed it in August 2007.  You suggested this change:
<http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/76857/focus=76893>.

My original point simply was to remove the inconsistency between using
`M-x' and running the very same command via a key binding: "Don't
behave differently when executed via M-x".

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)