* Fontification in Gnus
@ 2005-11-07  1:21 Bill Wohler
From: Bill Wohler @ 2005-11-07  1:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

I just started using Gnus under CVS Emacs rather than Gnus 5.10 under
Emacs 21 and I'm noticing strange behavior with the fontification. When
I first visit a Gnus buffer, the fontification is correct for one second
and then it's like someone ran font-lock-mode behind the scenes.

If I make some change (like reading or marking a message in the
*Summary* buffer), the fontification of the message in the *Summary*
buffer is again correct for one second and then is undone.

emacs22 -q doesn't show this behavior, so it's somewhere in my
environment. I should be able to find it but haven't been able to
pinpoint it yet.

What concerns me is that there is a backwards incompatibility with my
settings. This should either be fixed or documented.

Has anyone else seen this?

* Re: Fontification in Gnus
@ 2005-11-07 12:45 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2005-11-07 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On Mon, Nov 07 2005, Bill Wohler wrote:

> I just started using Gnus under CVS Emacs rather than Gnus 5.10 under
> Emacs 21 and I'm noticing strange behavior with the fontification.

With CVS Emacs you're using the bundled Gnus 5.11, I guess.  With
Emacs you're using some 5.10.x version.  Which version is it exactly?

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Fontification in Gnus
@ 2005-11-07 21:55 ` Richard M. Stallman
From: Richard M. Stallman @ 2005-11-07 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    What concerns me is that there is a backwards incompatibility with my
    settings. This should either be fixed or documented.

If you track down a specific incompatibility, we can try to fix or
document it.

* Re: Fontification in Gnus
@ 2005-11-10 20:45   ` Bill Wohler
From: Bill Wohler @ 2005-11-10 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 07 2005, Bill Wohler wrote:
>
> > I just started using Gnus under CVS Emacs rather than Gnus 5.10 under
> > Emacs 21 and I'm noticing strange behavior with the fontification.
>
> With CVS Emacs you're using the bundled Gnus 5.11, I guess.  With
> Emacs you're using some 5.10.x version.  Which version is it exactly?

With Emacs 21, I'm using the Debian Gnus package which is version
5.10.6-1.NO.20051020-1. Yes, with CVS Emacs I'm using the bundled Gnus
5.11 version.

I still haven't been able to figure this one out. Sometimes all Gnus
buffers are affected. Sometimes, like when I nuke the custom-set-faces
stanza, only the *Summary* buffer is affected, and sometimes not right
away.

Sometimes the fontification works fine for a while, but then I work in
some other buffers, and then the fontification goes away when I come
back. Because of this, it isn't a quick process finding the culprit.
When I do, I'll report back.

* Re: Fontification in Gnus
@ 2005-11-10 23:19     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2005-11-10 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On Thu, Nov 10 2005, Bill Wohler wrote:

> Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> wrote:
>> With CVS Emacs you're using the bundled Gnus 5.11, I guess.  With
>> Emacs you're using some 5.10.x version.  Which version is it exactly?
>
> With Emacs 21, I'm using the Debian Gnus package which is version
> 5.10.6-1.NO.20051020-1.

I'm puzzled about this version number.  CVS snapshot from the stable
branch (v5-10) maybe.  Could you ask the Debian maintainer?

If it's from the v5-10 branch there should be no significant
differences compared to the version in Emacs CVS.  I.e. the different
behavior must be cause by differences between Emacs 21 and Emacs CVS.
Else changes in Gnus might be responsible.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Fontification in Gnus
@ 2005-11-11  9:49       ` Romain Francoise
From: Romain Francoise @ 2005-11-11  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> With Emacs 21, I'm using the Debian Gnus package which is version
>> 5.10.6-1.NO.20051020-1.

> I'm puzzled about this version number.  CVS snapshot from the stable
> branch (v5-10) maybe.  Could you ask the Debian maintainer?

Nope, it's taken from HEAD.

--
Romain Francoise <romain@orebokech.com> | The sea! the sea! the open
it's a miracle -- http://orebokech.com/ | sea! The blue, the fresh, the
                                        | ever free! --Bryan W. Procter

* Re: Fontification in Gnus
@ 2005-11-11 13:26         ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2005-11-11 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Ding List

On Fri, Nov 11 2005, Romain Francoise wrote:

> Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> writes:
>
>>> With Emacs 21, I'm using the Debian Gnus package which is version
>>> 5.10.6-1.NO.20051020-1.
>
>> I'm puzzled about this version number.  CVS snapshot from the stable
>> branch (v5-10) maybe.  Could you ask the Debian maintainer?
>
> Nope, it's taken from HEAD.

(BTW, I suppose you meant "trunk" instead of "HEAD".)

Thanks.  This means that the strange behavior Bill observes[1] may
also be caused by changes in Gnus.

While at it: "5.10.6" is confusing, IMHO.  There's no "5.10.6" in the
Gnus-internal version numbering in the trunk:

ELISP> gnus-version
"No Gnus v0.4"
ELISP> gnus-version-number
"0.4"
ELISP> (gnus-continuum-version)
5.110004

Bye, Reiner.

[1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/45529
    for people not reading emacs-devel.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Fontification in Gnus
@ 2005-11-11 14:32           ` Romain Francoise
From: Romain Francoise @ 2005-11-11 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Ding List

> While at it: "5.10.6" is confusing, IMHO.

Yes, the Debian maintainer has been notified of this issue, but things
haven't changed.  See this thread:

--
Romain Francoise <romain@orebokech.com> | The sea! the sea! the open
it's a miracle -- http://orebokech.com/ | sea! The blue, the fresh, the
                                        | ever free! --Bryan W. Procter

* Re: Fontification in Gnus
@ 2005-11-11 16:49         ` Bill Wohler
From: Bill Wohler @ 2005-11-11 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Romain Francoise <romain@orebokech.com> writes:

> Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> writes:
>
>>> With Emacs 21, I'm using the Debian Gnus package which is version
>>> 5.10.6-1.NO.20051020-1.
>
>> I'm puzzled about this version number.  CVS snapshot from the stable
>> branch (v5-10) maybe.  Could you ask the Debian maintainer?
>
> Nope, it's taken from HEAD.

Thanks for jumping in, Romain.

I thought I had found the problem when I cleared
font-lock-support-mode (from lazy-lock-mode to jit-mode). But, alas,
the problem later reappeared.

Perhaps it is an Emacs 22 incompatibility. I fired up 5.11 with Emacs
21 and so far, it seems to be OK.

This problem's irregularity makes it really hard to identify the exact
problem (in my environment). But I'll try.

Is anybody else using the Emacs 22-packaged Gnus with or without
fontification issues?

* Re: Fontification in Gnus
@ 2005-11-12 19:32           ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2005-11-12 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Nov 11 2005, Bill Wohler wrote:

> Is anybody else using the Emacs 22-packaged Gnus with or without
> fontification issues?

I've been using the Emacs-22 bundled Gnus for one year (Since I
started merging Oort Gnus into Emacs; Recently I started using Gnus
from the trunk aka "No Gnus" again.).  I don't see problems as you
describe (though I'm unsure if I understood your description
correctly. :-)).

As you can see in the User-Agent headers, many people on this list and
usenet groups use the Emacs22-bundled Gnus.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Fontification in Gnus
@ 2005-11-19 17:40     ` Romain Francoise
From: Romain Francoise @ 2005-11-19 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com> writes:

> Sometimes the fontification works fine for a while, but then I work in
> some other buffers, and then the fontification goes away when I come
> back. Because of this, it isn't a quick process finding the culprit.
> When I do, I'll report back.

Did you manage to debug this?  One of my users has the same issue with
Emacs from CVS and No Gnus (http://bugs.debian.org/339920).

--
Romain Francoise <romain@orebokech.com> | The sea! the sea! the open
it's a miracle -- http://orebokech.com/ | sea! The blue, the fresh, the
                                        | ever free! --Bryan W. Procter

* Re: Fontification in Gnus
@ 2005-11-20 15:30       ` Bill Wohler
From: Bill Wohler @ 2005-11-20 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Romain Francoise <romain@orebokech.com> wrote:

> Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com> writes:
>
> > Sometimes the fontification works fine for a while, but then I work in
> > some other buffers, and then the fontification goes away when I come
> > back. Because of this, it isn't a quick process finding the culprit.
> > When I do, I'll report back.
>
> Did you manage to debug this?  One of my users has the same issue with
> Emacs from CVS and No Gnus (http://bugs.debian.org/339920).

I've spent some time but haven't narrowed down the problem yet. When
(and if) I do, will definitely ack here and at Debian #339920.