From: Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc>
To: Chong Yidong <cyd@stupidchicken.com>
Cc: acm@muc.de, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>,
	Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>,
	emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Emacs 22 branch (was: Feature freeze postphoned to end-July)
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 21:27:04 +0200	[thread overview]

On Wed, Jun 11 2008, Chong Yidong wrote:

> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>>> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
[...]
>>> No, it's not been announced, and that's because it's not dead yet.
>>> We haven't yet decided whether to make another 22 release or not.
>>> If we want to make one, I think right about now is a good time for
>>> it, tho.
>>> Other than the Carbon changes, what would be the main reasons for
>>> a 22.3 release?
>>
>> A few bugfixes, i.e. a more stable 22.x release to fill the gap until
>> 23.1 is ready.
>
> I can't remember the last time a crash bug was reported/fixed in the
> branch.  The 22.1 release was already pretty darn stable, due to the
> long release cycle.  I remember fixing a few crashes and one small
> memory leak for 22.2, but that's about it.

Probably the current difference to Emacs 22.2 is not sufficient.  I'd
suggest to keep applying bug fixes also to the branch (or is it much
work?) and release Emacs 22.3 in a few months.

> I guess the thing to do is to go through the ChangeLogs and draw up a
> list of changes made to the branch since 22.2.  Then we can get a better
> idea of whether a 22.3 release is warranted.

Shouldn't we look at FOR-RELEASE (in the branch Emacs 22) and the bugs
on the bug tracker relevant for Emacs 22.2?  (I couldn't figure out
how to list all Emacs 22.* bugs there.)

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,