* Syncing Gnus more often?
@ 2008-04-10 22:30 Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2008-04-10 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel, ding, Miles Bader

[ I'm starting a new thread... ]

On Wed, Apr 09 2008, Stefan Monnier wrote:
[ In <news:jwvod8jhzu9.fsf-monnier+emacs@gnu.org> ]
> Maybe you want to ask Miles to do a round of sync'ing (he seems to have
> been a bit busy with other things recently).

Stefan, some time ago you offered to the arch-based sync (EMACS_22 ->
trunk) for Miles if he is too busy or offline.  If you still volunteer
to do this and it's okay for Miles, you could also sync to Gnus'
repository.  I'm sure Lars will give you write access.

I think a sufficient sync interval is once a week or so.  If it takes
much longer, chances of "forgetting" patches or conflicts tents to
increase.  Today I ran a diff Gnus trunk vs. Gnus-in-Emacs trunk and
there were much more differences (also older changes) than I expected.
I'll try to fix these after the next sync.

If the arch-based sync is sufficiently simple (i.e. documented for
someone who never used arch), I could to the Gnus sync occasionally as
well (I have access to fencepost and write access to both CVS
repositories).

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Syncing Gnus more often?
@ 2008-04-11  1:49 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2008-04-11  1:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miles Bader; +Cc: ding, emacs-devel

> [ I'm starting a new thread... ]
> On Wed, Apr 09 2008, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> [ In <news:jwvod8jhzu9.fsf-monnier+emacs@gnu.org> ]
>> Maybe you want to ask Miles to do a round of sync'ing (he seems to have
>> been a bit busy with other things recently).

> Stefan, some time ago you offered to the arch-based sync (EMACS_22 ->
> trunk) for Miles if he is too busy or offline.  If you still volunteer
> to do this and it's okay for Miles, you could also sync to Gnus'
> repository.  I'm sure Lars will give you write access.

I don't think moving the single point of failure from here to there
won't help much, really (unless Miles is indeed too busy, of course).
What I'd like is to make it possible for various people to do it.

Or otherwise make it 100% automatic.  E.g. if there are conflicts, just
commit the resulting tree (with its conflicts) and suspend sync'ing until
some commits a new tree without conflicts.

* Re: Syncing Gnus more often?
@ 2008-04-13 21:04   ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2008-04-13 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Miles Bader, ding, emacs-devel

On Fri, Apr 11 2008, Stefan Monnier wrote:

>> Stefan, some time ago you offered to the arch-based sync (EMACS_22 ->
>> trunk) for Miles if he is too busy or offline.  If you still volunteer
>> to do this and it's okay for Miles, you could also sync to Gnus'
>> repository.  I'm sure Lars will give you write access.
>
> I don't think moving the single point of failure from here to there
> won't help much, really (unless Miles is indeed too busy, of course).
> What I'd like is to make it possible for various people to do it.

If Miles, you and me could do it, it won't be a single point of
failure anymore.

> Or otherwise make it 100% automatic.  E.g. if there are conflicts, just
> commit the resulting tree (with its conflicts) and suspend sync'ing until
> some commits a new tree without conflicts.

Maybe this could work.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Syncing Gnus more often?
@ 2008-04-14  1:29     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2008-04-14  1:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miles Bader; +Cc: ding, emacs-devel

>>> Stefan, some time ago you offered to the arch-based sync (EMACS_22 ->
>>> trunk) for Miles if he is too busy or offline.  If you still volunteer
>>> to do this and it's okay for Miles, you could also sync to Gnus'
>>> repository.  I'm sure Lars will give you write access.
>>
>> I don't think moving the single point of failure from here to there
>> won't help much, really (unless Miles is indeed too busy, of course).
>> What I'd like is to make it possible for various people to do it.

> If Miles, you and me could do it, it won't be a single point of
> failure anymore.

Indeed, but IIUC the current setup used by Miles keeps the mapping
between CVS and Arch locally on Miles's machine, so I believe that the
scripts need to be changed/improved to allow multiple people to do
the syncs.

>> Or otherwise make it 100% automatic.  E.g. if there are conflicts, just
>> commit the resulting tree (with its conflicts) and suspend sync'ing until
>> some commits a new tree without conflicts.
> Maybe this could work.

But again requires changes to the scripts.
Miles, can you help out?

* Re: Syncing Gnus more often?
@ 2008-04-14  7:30       ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2008-04-14  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel, ding, Miles Bader

On Mon, Apr 14 2008, Stefan Monnier wrote:

>> If Miles, you and me could do it, it won't be a single point of
>> failure anymore.
>
> Indeed, but IIUC the current setup used by Miles keeps the mapping
> between CVS and Arch locally on Miles's machine,

Miles runs it on fencepost, IIRC.