* mailcap funny default
@ 2007-08-01 16:24 Nic James Ferrier
From: Nic James Ferrier @ 2007-08-01 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

mailcap.el has:

   application/octet-stream

set to the default viewer of mailcap-save-binary-file.

Should mailcap be providing a default for this? I don't think so.

A lot of attachments have this purely because the sender has a poor
mime setup (I am working with a client with a mac that _never_ sends
anything other than this mimetype).

So _most_ of the time one wants to ask:

  (mailcap-mime-info "application/octet-stream")

and get no default so that one can ask the user how they want to look
at it.

--
Nic Ferrier
http://www.tapsellferrier.co.uk

* Re: mailcap funny default
@ 2007-08-02  7:20 ` Frank Schmitt
From: Frank Schmitt @ 2007-08-02  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Nic James Ferrier <nferrier@tapsellferrier.co.uk> writes:

> mailcap.el has:
>
>    application/octet-stream
>
> set to the default viewer of mailcap-save-binary-file.
>
> Should mailcap be providing a default for this? I don't think so.
>
> A lot of attachments have this purely because the sender has a poor
> mime setup (I am working with a client with a mac that _never_ sends
> anything other than this mimetype).
>
> So _most_ of the time one wants to ask:
>
>   (mailcap-mime-info "application/octet-stream")
>
> and get no default so that one can ask the user how they want to look
> at it.

I second this.

--
Did you ever realize how much text fits in eighty columns? If you now consider
that a signature usually consists of up to four lines, this gives you enough

* Re: mailcap funny default
@ 2007-08-02 19:14 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2007-08-02 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Wed, Aug 01 2007, Nic James Ferrier wrote:

> mailcap.el has:
>
>    application/octet-stream
>
> set to the default viewer of mailcap-save-binary-file.
>
> Should mailcap be providing a default for this? I don't think so.
>
> A lot of attachments have this purely because the sender has a poor
> mime setup (I am working with a client with a mac that _never_ sends
> anything other than this mimetype).
>
> So _most_ of the time one wants to ask:
>
>   (mailcap-mime-info "application/octet-stream")
>
> and get no default so that one can ask the user how they want to look
> at it.

Are you talking about Gnus?

I tried removing `mailcap-save-binary-file' but I didn't notice a
difference in the behavior.

Could you describe more precisely what in which situation and how your
suggested change would make a difference (and what exactly is this
change?).

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,