* link error on darwin with static ncurses
@ 2005-11-05  0:06 Emanuele Giaquinta
From: Emanuele Giaquinta @ 2005-11-05  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

The presence of "-fno-common" in C_SWITCH_SYSTEM in darwin.h prevents
linking against a static ncurses cause the symbols UP, BC and PC will be
defined also in the __DATA segment of terminfo.o; why is it needed?

* Re: link error on darwin with static ncurses
@ 2005-11-05 10:21 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2005-11-05 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: mituharu, emacs-devel

> Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2005 01:06:52 +0100
> From: Emanuele Giaquinta <e.giaquinta@glauco.it>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> The presence of "-fno-common" in C_SWITCH_SYSTEM in darwin.h prevents
> linking against a static ncurses cause the symbols UP, BC and PC will be
> defined also in the __DATA segment of terminfo.o; why is it needed?

It is needed on other systems.

Why do you link with -fno-common, anyway?  Can you do without it?

* Re: link error on darwin with static ncurses
@ 2005-11-05 11:02   ` Emanuele Giaquinta
From: Emanuele Giaquinta @ 2005-11-05 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: mituharu, emacs-devel

> It is needed on other systems.

The question is if it is needed on darwin; the only other arch that uses
it is alpha.

> Why do you link with -fno-common, anyway?  Can you do without it?

I am not doing anything; look at line 266 in src/s/darwin.h; configure
sets CPPFLAGS to the value of C_SWITCH_SYSTEM, which includes -fno-common.

* Re: link error on darwin with static ncurses
@ 2005-11-05 11:55     ` YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu @ 2005-11-05 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

>> Why do you link with -fno-common, anyway?  Can you do without it?

> I am not doing anything; look at line 266 in src/s/darwin.h;
> configure sets CPPFLAGS to the value of C_SWITCH_SYSTEM, which
> includes -fno-common.

I've never made changes to this part either (why did you directly send
me the original post?)  Anyway, it compiled without -fno-common even
on Mac OS X 10.1.5 (with gcc 3.1).

				     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
				mituharu@math.s.chiba-u.ac.jp

* Re: link error on darwin with static ncurses
@ 2005-11-05 12:08     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2005-11-05 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: mituharu, emacs-devel

> Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2005 12:02:42 +0100
> From: Emanuele Giaquinta <e.giaquinta@glauco.it>
> Cc: mituharu@math.s.chiba-u.ac.jp, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> > It is needed on other systems.
>
> The question is if it is needed on darwin

I don't know.  If you can build Emacs without it, the answer is
probably no.

> > Why do you link with -fno-common, anyway?  Can you do without it?
>
> I am not doing anything; look at line 266 in src/s/darwin.h; configure
> sets CPPFLAGS to the value of C_SWITCH_SYSTEM, which includes -fno-common.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the Darwin configuration.  Someone who is
should tell why -fno-common is required on that platform.

* Re: link error on darwin with static ncurses
@ 2005-11-05 12:11       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2005-11-05 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel, e.giaquinta

> Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2005 20:55:44 +0900
> From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu <mituharu@math.s.chiba-u.ac.jp>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>, emacs-devel@gnu.org

> >> Why do you link with -fno-common, anyway?  Can you do without it?
>
> > I am not doing anything; look at line 266 in src/s/darwin.h;
> > configure sets CPPFLAGS to the value of C_SWITCH_SYSTEM, which
> > includes -fno-common.
>
> I've never made changes to this part either (why did you directly send
> me the original post?)  Anyway, it compiled without -fno-common even
> on Mac OS X 10.1.5 (with gcc 3.1).

Thanks for the info.  Does that mean we can remove -fno-common from
darwin.h, or do I miss something?

* Re: link error on darwin with static ncurses
@ 2005-11-05 12:24         ` YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu @ 2005-11-05 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel, e.giaquinta

>> I've never made changes to this part either (why did you directly
>> send me the original post?)  Anyway, it compiled without
>> -fno-common even on Mac OS X 10.1.5 (with gcc 3.1).

> Thanks for the info.  Does that mean we can remove -fno-common from
> darwin.h, or do I miss something?

Probably it can be removed, but not 100% sure because I'm not familiar
with this.  I'll remove it if there's no objection for a few days, or
there's a statement that it can definitely be removed.

				     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
				mituharu@math.s.chiba-u.ac.jp