* Successful build of emacs-unicode-2 under Windows with MinGW
@ 2004-09-20  6:42 Cheng Gao
From: Cheng Gao @ 2004-09-20  6:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=cn-gb, Size: 386 bytes --]

Today I have built emacs-unicode-2 under Windows with MinGW. I had
failed for several times before this.

My aim fot this post is just to let developers know this. Also mean to
give other users confidence to try this branch.

I use a Sept. 9 checkout from cvs repository, not arch inventory.
emacs-unicode-2 source is too slow to checkout.

--
µÂ²»¹Â£¬±ØÓÐÁÚ
         -- ¡¶ÂÛÓï-ÀïÈÊ¡·

* Re: Successful build of emacs-unicode-2 under Windows with MinGW
@ 2004-09-20 17:24 ` Cheng Gao
From: Cheng Gao @ 2004-09-20 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

And I have built it successfully under GNU/Linux (under Gentoo with
emacs-cvs-22.0.0.ebuild unmasked). You can see this post is made by
Emacs 22.0.0.

CG
--
No God blessing me
No Dog barking at me

* Re: Successful build of emacs-unicode-2 under Windows with MinGW
@ 2004-09-21  5:37   ` Dhruva Krishnamurthy
From: Dhruva Krishnamurthy @ 2004-09-21  5:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 01:24:50 +0800, Cheng Gao <chenggao@gmail.com> wrote:

> And I have built it successfully under GNU/Linux (under Gentoo with
> emacs-cvs-22.0.0.ebuild unmasked). You can see this post is made by
> Emacs 22.0.0.

How important is it to test the emacs-unicode-2 branch at this
juncture? I am willing to use it on a regular basis (though I do not
use unicode features frequently) _if_ (by the main developers
involved) it is found necessary.

-dhruva

--
Proud FSF member: #1935
http://schemer.fateback.com/

* Re: Successful build of emacs-unicode-2 under Windows with MinGW
@ 2004-09-21  5:50     ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2004-09-21  5:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel, Cheng Gao

Dhruva Krishnamurthy <dhruva.krishnamurthy@gmail.com> writes:
>> And I have built it successfully under GNU/Linux (under Gentoo with
>> emacs-cvs-22.0.0.ebuild unmasked). You can see this post is made by
>> Emacs 22.0.0.
>
> How important is it to test the emacs-unicode-2 branch at this
> juncture?

Probably not very.  It's more important to test the trunk, as it will be
released much sooner.

[If you _want_ to use the unicode branch for some reason though, I do
regularly sync it with the trunk, so general bug reports will probably
still be pretty relevant to the trunk version.]

-Miles
--
`Life is a boundless sea of bitterness'

* Re: Successful build of emacs-unicode-2 under Windows with MinGW
@ 2004-09-21  6:34       ` Cheng Gao
From: Cheng Gao @ 2004-09-21  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

,----
| Probably not very.  It's more important to test the trunk, as it will be
| released much sooner.
|
| [If you _want_ to use the unicode branch for some reason though, I do
| regularly sync it with the trunk, so general bug reports will probably
| still be pretty relevant to the trunk version.]
`----

One of the reason I test emacs-unicode-2 is I know you sync it with
trunk frequently. I keep my eye on emacs cvs log.

In fact from my purpose of using emacs, I dont have special reason to
use it. I just wanna test it.

I am from China mainland. From my reading, I know emacs-unicode-2
doesnot support CJK very well. At the same time, emacs trunk has very
good support of CJK.

After my short time test, at least I found there is interesting thing
for me to play with. Unicode-2 branch adds chinese-gbk and chinese-18030
charsets. There does exist some articles in some groups where messages
are posted in non-gb2312 charsets. Though I can use gb2312 to view them,
some characters can not be displayed (coz they are out of scope of
gb2312).
My experience with unicode-2 branch is too few. But since unicode-2 will
be base of next version, I think it's interesting to run it in parallel
with trunk version. After all, if you keep shared files (for example
files in site-lisp) byte-compiled with trunk version, it's very easy to
let them coexist.

CG

--
山中何所有
岭上多白云

* Re: Successful build of emacs-unicode-2 under Windows with MinGW
@ 2004-09-21  8:56   ` Dhruva Krishnamurthy
From: Dhruva Krishnamurthy @ 2004-09-21  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Emacs-Devel

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 01:24:50 +0800, Cheng Gao <chenggao@gmail.com> wrote:

> And I have built it successfully under GNU/Linux (under Gentoo with
> emacs-cvs-22.0.0.ebuild unmasked). You can see this post is made by
> Emacs 22.0.0.

I am getting an error building on W2K using MSVC (and MinGW32).  To
fix this, I built the HEAD, copied the leim folder from build HEAD
into emacs-unicode-2 sources and built it (not bootstrap). I was able
to get a working (I hope so) build.

The error is:
In toplevel form:
quail/4Corner.el:85:1:Error: Apparently circular structure being printed
Wrote d:/tmp/build/emacs/emacs-unicode/leim/quail/ARRAY30.elc

In toplevel form:
quail/ECDICT.el:87:1:Error: Invalid read syntax: "] in a list"
Wrote d:/tmp/build/emacs/emacs-unicode/leim/quail/ETZY.elc
Wrote d:/tmp/build/emacs/emacs-unicode/leim/quail/Punct-b5.elc
Wrote d:/tmp/build/emacs/emacs-unicode/leim/quail/PY-b5.elc
Wrote d:/tmp/build/emacs/emacs-unicode/leim/quail/QJ-b5.elc
Wrote d:/tmp/build/emacs/emacs-unicode/leim/quail/ZOZY.elc
NMAKE : fatal error U1077:
'"D:\tmp\build\emacs\emacs-unicode\leim/../src/obj-spd/i386/emacs.exe"'
Stop.
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\VC98\BIN\NMAKE.EXE' :
return code '0x2'
Stop.

-dhruva

--
Proud FSF member: #1935
http://schemer.fateback.com/

* Re: Successful build of emacs-unicode-2 under Windows with MinGW
@ 2004-09-21  9:18     ` Cheng Gao
From: Cheng Gao @ 2004-09-21  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

I built it on Windows 2003 with tools from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/ , including
gcc-core-3.4.1-20040711-1.tar.gz, mingw-runtime-3.5.tar.gz,
w32api-3.1.tar.gz, MinGW-3.1.0-1.exe and mingw32-make-3.80.0-3.exe. But
the version of these files is not so important as I think.

My last failure of unicode-2 buiild is owing to error in byte-compiling
quail files. But with about 2004-9-9 cvs code, I have built it
successfully.

Owing to slowness to update unicode-2 source, I can not test with latest
cvs code. But I think recent cvs commits have solved many bugs. I trust
it should work.

But I have no experience with MSVC building.

My build steps are very simple:

cd emacs-unicode/nt
make bootstrap
make install INSTALL_DIR=d:/emacs-unicode

C'est tout.

Maybe you can try MinGW build again.

HTH,

CG
--
酌贪泉而觉爽,处涸辙以犹欢

* Re: Successful build of emacs-unicode-2 under Windows with MinGW
@ 2004-09-22 13:59       ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2004-09-22 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: chenggao, dhruva.krishnamurthy, emacs-devel

    > How important is it to test the emacs-unicode-2 branch at this
    > juncture?

    Probably not very.  It's more important to test the trunk, as it will be
    released much sooner.

Lots of us are testing the trunk.  I think it is important
to have some people regularly using the emacs-unicode-2 branch,
while most test the trunk.

So if you're regularly using the emacs-unicode-2 branch,
please speak up.

* Re: Successful build of emacs-unicode-2 under Windows with MinGW
@ 2004-09-22 16:14         ` zrr
From: zrr @ 2004-09-22 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

I built the emacs-unicode-2 branch yesterday on my GNU/linux box.  The
compilation is successful.

But when I execute './src/emacs -q ', It can't load any .el
library. There is a blank X window with an error message echo in
minibuffer :" Cannot open load file: tool-bar".

Here is the whole message in the *Message* buffer:

     (./emacs-22.0.0 -q)
     Cannot open load file: tool-bar

Then I try  './src/emacs -q -nw', Emacs start up but also lack of
some basic functions, such as 'apropos' 'global-font-lock' etc.

My gcc version is 3.2.3 and I have made every efforts mentioned in
the INSTALL.CVS.

Is there any special procedure to build emacs-unicode-2 branch?

Best Regards!

Tang

@ 2004-09-23  4:22         ` Dhruva Krishnamurthy
From: Dhruva Krishnamurthy @ 2004-09-23  4:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: chenggao, emacs-devel, Miles Bader

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 09:59:30 -0400, Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:
>     > How important is it to test the emacs-unicode-2 branch at this
>     > juncture?
>
>     Probably not very.  It's more important to test the trunk, as it will be
>     released much sooner.
>
> Lots of us are testing the trunk.  I think it is important
> to have some people regularly using the emacs-unicode-2 branch,
> while most test the trunk.
>
> So if you're regularly using the emacs-unicode-2 branch,
> please speak up.

Okay, I tried building the emacs-unicode-2 branch on W2K using both
MSVC and MinGW32. It fails in building leim. I therefore did a crude
work around by building leim from HEAD and copying it over
emacs-unicode and did a build (not bootstrap, just all). I tried
copying leim from HEAD on to unicode branch and do make bootstrap, it
fails!
 So, my deduction is that leim build in unicode branch fails atleast
for me. By the way, I am using always the latest from emacs
head/unicode branches.
Also, I am using 'cvs co emacs' and _not_ 'cvs co -kb emacs'. Can this
cause some problems by adding CRLF endings.... This should not happen
as it does not affect the CVS Head version of Emacs.

-dhruva

--
Proud FSF member: #1935
http://schemer.fateback.com/

* Re: Successful build of emacs-unicode-2 under Windows with MinGW
@ 2004-09-23  9:51         ` Cheng Gao
From: Cheng Gao @ 2004-09-23  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

,----
| Lots of us are testing the trunk.  I think it is important
| to have some people regularly using the emacs-unicode-2 branch,
| while most test the trunk.
|
| So if you're regularly using the emacs-unicode-2 branch,
| please speak up.
`----

I think this branch especially interests users from non-latin language background
like me. For example, with Chinese-GBK and Chinese-GB18030 supported in
emacs-unicode-2, it's very happy to use Gnus to view any Chinese
message. While with Emacs trunk, some messages can not be viewed
properly with GB2312. This is why I am so interested in this branch.

So far my adventure is fairly good, though I expect there will be many
bugs. (In fact I have found some).

Now the most painful thing is with getting source.
Savannah CVS is really slow for this branch. I think it takes forever
for me to update it. At the same time, trunk update is fairly fast.
And I have luckily gotten Miles' arch source for only once. After that,
I have tried several times to update with no joy.

Now I am very curious for one thing:

Is there any big date/time processing related changes in unicode-2
recently?

At least under MinGW version, evaluating

(format-time-string "%Y-%m-%d" emacs-build-time)

generates an empty string as "        " (8 spaces).

While value of `emacs-build-time is (16722 29008 93000).

I have compared src/editfns.c of trunk and unicode-2 branch and found no
difference. I think the changes are in other place(s).

And if I run Gnus in Emacs 22, then exit (with newsrc.eld saved), then I
use Emacs trunk (21.3.50) to run Gnus, it generates an error as "Invalid
Date:". My investigation shows that in newsrc.eld,
`gnus-newsrc-last-checked-date is set as a empty string by Emacs 22.

So I have to remove (setq gnus-newsrc-last-checked-date ...) line
manually from .newsrc.eld, and Gnus can run from Emacs trunk.

But then without this line, Gnus can not run from Emacs 22. It shows the
same error as "Invalid Date:".

Then I have to run Gnus in Emacs trunk, and exit, thus a valid (setq
 gnus-newsrc-last-checked-date ...) line is generated, and then Gnus can
 be run from Emacs 22.

This test is with MinGW build with source got two weeks ago. Maybe this
has been fixed, but owing to inaccessibility of cvs/arch source, I can
not test with the latest code.

My preliminary impression is that this problem may be platform-specific.
In my home computer with Gentoo GNU/Linux with latet code, seems above
mentioned two problems dont exist. Tonight I'll make check and confirm this.

Sincerely yours,

CG

--
这去者,不能见他的脸,背影模糊。

* Re: Successful build of emacs-unicode-2 under Windows with MinGW
@ 2004-09-23 10:07           ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2004-09-23 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 05:51:31PM +0800, Cheng Gao wrote:
> And I have luckily gotten Miles' arch source for only once. After that,
> I have tried several times to update with no joy.

What was the failure?

I realized after your last message that I hadn't made any cacherevs in quite
a while, which might be annoying for fresh checkouts, so I made some more a
couple of days ago.  However if you want to regularly update using tla, you
should set up a `greedy' local revision library to speed things up (a lot).

Thanks,

-Miles
--
[|nurgle|]  ddt- demonic? so quake will have an evil kinda setting? one that
            will  make every christian in the world foamm at the mouth?

* Re: Successful build of emacs-unicode-2 under Windows with MinGW
From: Richard Stallman @ 2004-09-23 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: chenggao, emacs-devel, miles

     So, my deduction is that leim build in unicode branch fails atleast
    for me. By the way, I am using always the latest from emacs
    head/unicode branches.

Can you debug why it fails?

* Re: Successful build of emacs-unicode-2 under Windows with MinGW
@ 2004-09-24  6:21             ` Dhruva Krishnamurthy
From: Dhruva Krishnamurthy @ 2004-09-24  6:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: chenggao, emacs-devel, miles

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 12:44:58 -0400, Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:
>      So, my deduction is that leim build in unicode branch fails atleast
>     for me. By the way, I am using always the latest from emacs
>     head/unicode branches.
>
> Can you debug why it fails?

I have the latest CVS Head and emacs-unicode-2 branch. What beats me
is copying leim folder from CVS Head (where it works) to UNICODE-2
does _not_ solve the build issue and gives me the same error!! I am
suspecting a problem at a much lower level. BTW, do you suggest, I use
'-kb' option for all my CVS checkouts?

I get the following error with either MSVC or MinGW32 on W2K.

Byte-compile the created files by:
  % emacs -batch -f batch-byte-compile XXX.el
        "D:\tmp\build\emacs\emacs-unicode\leim/../src/obj-spd/i386/emacs.exe"
-batch --no-init-file --no-site-file --multibyte  -l D
il/ZOZY.el
Wrote d:/tmp/build/emacs/emacs-unicode/leim/quail/CCDOSPY.elc
Wrote d:/tmp/build/emacs/emacs-unicode/leim/quail/Punct.elc
Wrote d:/tmp/build/emacs/emacs-unicode/leim/quail/QJ.elc
Wrote d:/tmp/build/emacs/emacs-unicode/leim/quail/SW.elc
Wrote d:/tmp/build/emacs/emacs-unicode/leim/quail/TONEPY.elc

In toplevel form:
quail/4Corner.el:85:1:Error: Apparently circular structure being printed
Wrote d:/tmp/build/emacs/emacs-unicode/leim/quail/ARRAY30.elc

In toplevel form:
quail/ECDICT.el:87:1:Error: Invalid read syntax: "] in a list"
Wrote d:/tmp/build/emacs/emacs-unicode/leim/quail/ETZY.elc
Wrote d:/tmp/build/emacs/emacs-unicode/leim/quail/Punct-b5.elc
Wrote d:/tmp/build/emacs/emacs-unicode/leim/quail/PY-b5.elc
Wrote d:/tmp/build/emacs/emacs-unicode/leim/quail/QJ-b5.elc

In toplevel form:
quail/ZOZY.el:228:1:Error: Apparently circular structure being printed
NMAKE : fatal error U1077:
'"D:\tmp\build\emacs\emacs-unicode\leim/../src/obj-spd/i386/emacs.exe"'
: return code '0x1'

@ 2004-09-24  7:24               ` Cheng Gao
From: Cheng Gao @ 2004-09-24  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

My suggestion is you can comment all leim-related build/install
operations in nt/makefile. Thus you can build a Emacs 22 without leim.
After all, in Windows you can use native input system.

HTH,

CG
--
No God blessing me
No Dog barking at me

* Re: Successful build of emacs-unicode-2 under Windows with MinGW
@ 2004-09-24  7:43               ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2004-09-24  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: miles, emacs-devel, rms, chenggao

Dhruva Krishnamurthy <dhruva.krishnamurthy@gmail.com> writes:

> BTW, do you suggest, I use '-kb' option for all my CVS checkouts?

No, only the emacs/nt directory needs to be checked out as binary.
emacs/leim used to require it, and that is why I suggested trying it
in case the fix from HEAD had not been merged into emacs-unicode-2,
but if it does not help, then the problem lies elsewhere.

* Re: Successful build of emacs-unicode-2 under Windows with MinGW
@ 2004-09-27  5:07                 ` Dhruva Krishnamurthy
From: Dhruva Krishnamurthy @ 2004-09-27  5:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: miles, emacs-devel, rms, chenggao

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 08:43:07 +0100, Jason Rumney <jasonr@gnu.org> wrote:
> Dhruva Krishnamurthy <dhruva.krishnamurthy@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > BTW, do you suggest, I use '-kb' option for all my CVS checkouts?
>
> No, only the emacs/nt directory needs to be checked out as binary.
> emacs/leim used to require it, and that is why I suggested trying it
> in case the fix from HEAD had not been merged into emacs-unicode-2,
> but if it does not help, then the problem lies elsewhere.

I did a checkout with '-kb' of the complete tree just to feel more
comfortable. I did an update today (27th Sept 2004) and WOW, I was
able to build the complete emacs-unicode-2 with leim using MSVC 6.0 on
W2K platform. So, we now have a code base which builds fine with no
issues atleast on W2K and MSVC combination.

-dhruva

--
Proud FSF member: #1935
http://schemer.fateback.com/

* Re: Successful build of emacs-unicode-2 under Windows with MinGW
@ 2004-09-27  9:22                   ` Cheng Gao
From: Cheng Gao @ 2004-09-27  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

,----
| I did a checkout with '-kb' of the complete tree just to feel more
| comfortable. I did an update today (27th Sept 2004) and WOW, I was
| able to build the complete emacs-unicode-2 with leim using MSVC 6.0 on
| W2K platform. So, we now have a code base which builds fine with no
| issues atleast on W2K and MSVC combination.
`----

Congratulation! Eventually you succeeded.

Could you help me to check one  thing about time/date in
emacs-unicode-2. Please read message  <ciu6b5$cfa$1@sea.gmane.org>
posted by me, in which I reported that under Windows, I found Emacs 22
can not process date/time correctly. Because it's so hard to find Emacs
22 users, I have to bother you to confirm or deny this.
The problem I reported does not exist in GNU/Linux build.

My Emacs 22 build (MinGW) is from CVS code about 20 days ago. Maybe it's
solved in the lastest code.

TIA,

CG
--
定定住天涯,依依向物华。
寒梅最堪恨,常作去年花。

* Re: Successful build of emacs-unicode-2 under Windows with MinGW
@ 2004-09-27  9:41                     ` Dhruva Krishnamurthy
From: Dhruva Krishnamurthy @ 2004-09-27  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 17:22:02 +0800, Cheng Gao <chenggao@gmail.com> wrote:
> ,----
> | I did a checkout with '-kb' of the complete tree just to feel more
> | comfortable. I did an update today (27th Sept 2004) and WOW, I was
> | able to build the complete emacs-unicode-2 with leim using MSVC 6.0 on
> | W2K platform. So, we now have a code base which builds fine with no
> | issues atleast on W2K and MSVC combination.
> `----
>
> Congratulation! Eventually you succeeded.
>
> Could you help me to check one  thing about time/date in
> emacs-unicode-2. Please read message  <ciu6b5$cfa$1@sea.gmane.org>
> posted by me, in which I reported that under Windows, I found Emacs 22
> can not process date/time correctly. Because it's so hard to find Emacs
> 22 users, I have to bother you to confirm or deny this.

Not a problem. With the latest emacs-unicode-2 (27th Sept 2004) built
on W2K using MSVC 6.0, I get the following o/p:
(format-time-string "%Y-%m-%d" emacs-build-time)
=> "2004-09-27"

Looks ok to me... Let  me know if you want me to do some other tests.
I have both MinGW32 and MSVC build environments. What would you
(developers) suggest I test. I can test on either one frequently and
both more in-frequently.

-dhruva

--
Proud FSF member: #1935
http://schemer.fateback.com/

* Re: Successful build of emacs-unicode-2 under Windows with MinGW
@ 2004-09-27  9:57                       ` Jason Rumney
                                         ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Jason Rumney @ 2004-09-27  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel, Cheng Gao

Dhruva Krishnamurthy wrote:

>I have both MinGW32 and MSVC build environments. What would you
>(developers) suggest I test. I can test on either one frequently and
>both more in-frequently.

MinGW32 is more important, since it is Free software.

* Re: Successful build of emacs-unicode-2 under Windows with MinGW
@ 2004-09-27  9:59                         ` Dhruva Krishnamurthy
From: Dhruva Krishnamurthy @ 2004-09-27  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel, Cheng Gao

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 10:57:20 +0100, Jason Rumney <jasonr@gnu.org> wrote:
> Dhruva Krishnamurthy wrote:
>
> >I have both MinGW32 and MSVC build environments. What would you
> >(developers) suggest I test. I can test on either one frequently and
> >both more in-frequently.
> >

> MinGW32 is more important, since it is Free software.

Agreed, I prefer that as I get image support too :-)

-dhruva

--
Proud FSF member: #1935
http://schemer.fateback.com/

* Re: Successful build of emacs-unicode-2 under Windows with MinGW
@ 2004-09-27 10:38                       ` Dhruva Krishnamurthy
From: Dhruva Krishnamurthy @ 2004-09-27 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 15:11:07 +0530, Dhruva Krishnamurthy
<dhruva.krishnamurthy@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 17:22:02 +0800, Cheng Gao <chenggao@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Could you help me to check one  thing about time/date in
> > emacs-unicode-2. Please read message  <ciu6b5$cfa$1@sea.gmane.org>
> > posted by me, in which I reported that under Windows, I found Emacs 22
> > can not process date/time correctly. Because it's so hard to find Emacs
> > 22 users, I have to bother you to confirm or deny this.
>
> Not a problem. With the latest emacs-unicode-2 (27th Sept 2004) built
> on W2K using MSVC 6.0, I get the following o/p:
> (format-time-string "%Y-%m-%d" emacs-build-time)
> => "2004-09-27"

Same on MinGW32 on W2K. I built on MinGW32 and tested the same.

-dhruva

--
Proud FSF member: #1935
http://schemer.fateback.com/

* Re: Successful build of emacs-unicode-2 under Windows with MinGW
@ 2004-09-27 10:41                       ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2004-09-27 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel, Cheng Gao

Dhruva Krishnamurthy <dhruva.krishnamurthy@gmail.com> writes:
> Not a problem. With the latest emacs-unicode-2 (27th Sept 2004) built
> on W2K using MSVC 6.0, I get the following o/p:
> (format-time-string "%Y-%m-%d" emacs-build-time)
> => "2004-09-27"

Works for me too, on Debian (arch branch emacs--unicode--0 of course;
dated the 25th of this month).

[this message sent courtesy of Gnus in Emacs 22 :-]

-Miles
--
自らを空にして、心を開く時、道は開かれる

* Re: Successful build of emacs-unicode-2 under Windows with MinGW
                                         ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-09-27 11:04                       ` Cheng Gao
From: Cheng Gao @ 2004-09-27 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=cn-gb, Size: 1035 bytes --]

,----

| Not a problem. With the latest emacs-unicode-2 (27th Sept 2004) built
| on W2K using MSVC 6.0, I get the following o/p:
| (format-time-string "%Y-%m-%d" emacs-build-time)
| => "2004-09-27"
|
| Looks ok to me... Let  me know if you want me to do some other tests.
| I have both MinGW32 and MSVC build environments. What would you
| (developers) suggest I test. I can test on either one frequently and
| both more in-frequently.
`----
Thank you very much for your help. At least I know this problem does not
exist with latest CVS code.

As for MinGW build with image support, it's very easy in fact. I have
built it with full image support (jpg, tiff, gif, xpm, png). I have
written a tutorial for MinGW. Unfortunately it's in Chinese. If you
think it's useful, I can find some time to translate it into English.

CG

                                           -- ׯ×Ó ÉÉÐÔ

* Re: Successful build of emacs-unicode-2 under Windows with MinGW
@ 2004-09-27 21:41                     ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2004-09-27 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Paul Pogonyshev <pogonyshev@gmx.net> writes:

> Actually, this is a weird approach.  AFAIK, CVS repository maintainers
> can use `cvs admin' so that `emacs/nt' is checked out as binary
> automatically.  Wouldn't it be more logical?

It screws up merging, diffs and other CVS features.

* Re: Successful build of emacs-unicode-2 under Windows with MinGW
@ 2004-09-28  0:11                   ` Paul Pogonyshev
From: Paul Pogonyshev @ 2004-09-28  0:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dhruva Krishnamurthy wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 08:43:07 +0100, Jason Rumney <jasonr@gnu.org> wrote:
> > Dhruva Krishnamurthy <dhruva.krishnamurthy@gmail.com> writes:
> > > BTW, do you suggest, I use '-kb' option for all my CVS checkouts?
> >
> > No, only the emacs/nt directory needs to be checked out as binary.
> > emacs/leim used to require it, and that is why I suggested trying it
> > in case the fix from HEAD had not been merged into emacs-unicode-2,
> > but if it does not help, then the problem lies elsewhere.
>
> I did a checkout with '-kb' of the complete tree just to feel more
> comfortable. I did an update today (27th Sept 2004) and WOW, I was
> able to build the complete emacs-unicode-2 with leim using MSVC 6.0 on
> W2K platform. So, we now have a code base which builds fine with no
> issues atleast on W2K and MSVC combination.

Actually, this is a weird approach.  AFAIK, CVS repository maintainers
can use `cvs admin' so that `emacs/nt' is checked out as binary
automatically.  Wouldn't it be more logical?

Paul