* Re: SMTP Auth Failure
       [not found] <uac4pwdb8.fsf@green.ocn.ne.jp>
@ 2006-09-26  1:02 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-09-26  1:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Your change is to tell it NOT to break lines.
It surprises me that this would fix such a problem.
Would you please explain why it does?

Best would be to put that into comments that go with your
changes.  We will need maintain this code in the future,
so we will need a comment to remind us.

* Re: SMTP Auth Failure
@ 2006-09-26 10:24   ` Osamu Yamane
From: Osamu Yamane @ 2006-09-26 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Hello,
Thank you for your reply.

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> Your change is to tell it NOT to break lines.
> It surprises me that this would fix such a problem.
> Would you please explain why it does?
>
> Best would be to put that into comments that go with your
> changes.  We will need maintain this code in the future,
> so we will need a comment to remind us.

I hope the following could be a comment to this case:

SMTP auth fails because the SMTP server identifies only the first part
of the string (delimited by new line characters) as a response from the
client, and the rest as distinct commands.

In my case, the response string is 80 characters long.  Without the
no-line-break option for base64-encode-sting, only the first 76 characters
are taken as a response to the server, and the authentication fails.

Regards,
Osamu Yamane

* Re: SMTP Auth Failure
@ 2006-09-28 17:19     ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2006-09-28 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: rms, emacs-devel

Osamu Yamane <yamane@green.ocn.ne.jp> writes:

> SMTP auth fails because the SMTP server identifies only the first part
> of the string (delimited by new line characters) as a response from the
> client, and the rest as distinct commands.
>
> In my case, the response string is 80 characters long.  Without the
> no-line-break option for base64-encode-sting, only the first 76 characters
> are taken as a response to the server, and the authentication fails.

I believe the fix is correct, and I've checked it in.  Thanks.