* python.el related problems
@ 2007-04-28  3:50 Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2007-04-28  3:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

For a while "lisp/progmodes/python.el" was removed on the release
branch, but later was restored.

However there were lots of _other_ things changed in the original
removal -- "etc/emacs.py", mentions in the docs, NEWS/README-type files
etc. -- that weren't similarly restored when python.el itself was
restored.

So, what's going to happen?  Is python.el here to stay?  If so, those
changes may also need to be also reverted.

Thanks,

-Miles

--
Would you like fries with that?

* Re: python.el related problems
@ 2007-04-28  3:51 ` Miles Bader
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Miles Bader @ 2007-04-28  3:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> writes:
> So, what's going to happen?  Is python.el here to stay?  If so, those
> changes may also need to be also reverted.

 ^ other

-miles
--
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.  -- Steven Wright

* Re: python.el related problems
@ 2007-04-28  8:50 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-04-28  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> From: Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org>
> Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 12:50:02 +0900
>
> For a while "lisp/progmodes/python.el" was removed on the release
> branch, but later was restored.
>
> However there were lots of _other_ things changed in the original
> removal -- "etc/emacs.py", mentions in the docs, NEWS/README-type files
> etc. -- that weren't similarly restored when python.el itself was
> restored.

Also, I now see that emacs.py was removed from the trunk as well.  Was
that on purpose, and if so, why?

* Re: python.el related problems
@ 2007-04-28 12:28   ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2007-04-28 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
> Also, I now see that emacs.py was removed from the trunk as well.  Was
> that on purpose, and if so, why?

I merged the release-branch changes to the trunk; since emacs.py was
removed in the release branch, doing that removed it from the trunk.  If
it gets added back in the release, it will be added back on the trunk.

-Miles

--
Come now, if we were really planning to harm you, would we be waiting here,
 beside the path, in the very darkest part of the forest?

* Re: python.el related problems
@ 2007-04-28 14:47 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-04-28 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miles Bader; +Cc: emacs-devel

    For a while "lisp/progmodes/python.el" was removed on the release
    branch, but later was restored.

    However there were lots of _other_ things changed in the original
    removal -- "etc/emacs.py", mentions in the docs, NEWS/README-type files
    etc. -- that weren't similarly restored when python.el itself was
    restored.

The person who removed it jumped the gun.  It may be the case that we
need to remove it, but he should not have removed it precipitously.

I am still trying to get the necessary information to determine
whether we can use the file.

* Re: python.el related problems
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2007-04-28 20:20 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2007-04-28 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miles Bader; +Cc: emacs-devel

Miles Bader wrote:

> For a while "lisp/progmodes/python.el" was removed on the release
> branch, but later was restored.
>
> However there were lots of _other_ things changed in the original
> removal -- "etc/emacs.py", mentions in the docs, NEWS/README-type files
> etc. -- that weren't similarly restored when python.el itself was
> restored.

Well, if I'd realized that, I would have restored those too.

I just did so on both branch and trunk, because I felt it was too
confusing otherwise. What fun it will be if they all have to get
removed again in both places.

* Re: python.el related problems
@ 2007-04-29  0:20   ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2007-04-29  0:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: emacs-devel

Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> writes:
> I just did so on both branch and trunk, because I felt it was too
> confusing otherwise. What fun it will be if they all have to get
> removed again in both places.

It shouldn't be hard; the changeset merging the branch changes into the
trunk is almost entirely related to those changes, and it would be
simple to produce a patch that does only them.

-miles
--
"Suppose He doesn't give a shit?  Suppose there is a God but He
just doesn't give a shit?"  [George Carlin]