* [KSNetz@UseNet.ArcorNews.DE: server.el hardcodes directory /tmp]
@ 2007-08-03  3:37 Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-08-03  3:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Would someone please DTRT and ack?
If the bug is in Emacs 22, please fix it in Emacs 22.

Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2007 12:56:42 +0200 (W. Europe Daylight Time)
From: Klaus Straubinger <KSNetz@UseNet.ArcorNews.DE>
To: bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: server.el hardcodes directory /tmp

In server.el the variables server-temp-file-regexp and
server-socket-dir contain direct references to the directory "/tmp"
which are not appropriate in operating systems like Microsoft Windows.
The second one is not even customizable.

My suggestion would be to use the variable temporary-file-directory
instead.

- --
Klaus Straubinger

* Re: Fwd: server.el hardcodes directory /tmp
@ 2007-08-03  6:13 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2007-08-03  6:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Would someone please DTRT and ack?
> If the bug is in Emacs 22, please fix it in Emacs 22.

> Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2007 12:56:42 +0200 (W. Europe Daylight Time)
> From: Klaus Straubinger <KSNetz@UseNet.ArcorNews.DE>
> To: bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> Subject: server.el hardcodes directory /tmp

> In server.el the variables server-temp-file-regexp and
> server-socket-dir contain direct references to the directory "/tmp"
> which are not appropriate in operating systems like Microsoft Windows.
> The second one is not even customizable.

> My suggestion would be to use the variable temporary-file-directory
> instead.

The problem is that the location needs to be agreed upon between server.el
and emacsclient.  Since emacsclient does not have access to Elisp in general
and temporary-file-directory in particular, this is not an option.

I guess server-socket-dir could/should use something else than /tmp under
w32, tho I have no idea what value would make sense.  Also maybe this could
obey $TEMP and/or $TMPDIR, assuming the same value is used for both the
`emacs' and the `emacsclient' processes (which is not a necessarily correct
assumption, sadly).

* Re: Fwd: server.el hardcodes directory /tmp
@ 2007-08-03 12:39   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-08-03 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Klaus Straubinger, rms, emacs-devel

> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2007 02:13:20 -0400
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> The problem is that the location needs to be agreed upon between server.el
> and emacsclient.  Since emacsclient does not have access to Elisp in general
> and temporary-file-directory in particular, this is not an option.

Yep.  But we could put in emacsclient the code that at least computes
the default value of temporary-file-directory as it does in Emacs.

> I guess server-socket-dir could/should use something else than /tmp under
> w32, tho I have no idea what value would make sense.

I think this is not an issue, since server-socket-dir is not used on
Windows at all (Windows uses the TCP way of connecting to the client).

As for the other option, the regexp doesn't just specify "/tmp", it
actually specifies a regexp for specific files in the temporary
directory.  Does anyone know where do the programs which use such
temporary files put them on Windows?