* Bootstrap failure with CVS HEAD, WinXP
@ 2008-05-09 22:54 Sridhar Boovaraghavan
From: Sridhar Boovaraghavan @ 2008-05-09 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi,

I am trying to build the latest cvs emacs (fetched a couple of hours
ago, as well as about a day ago) and am encountering this problem in
the build process.

I have configured it with

--with-gcc --without-xpm --cflags -Id:/Utilities/GnuWin32/include

The configure and build process proceeds smoothly. The new emacs
executable is created, but then it fails at the point below.

--
Generating autoloads for international/mule-cmds.el...done
Generating autoloads for international/mule-conf.el...

I see that the file (in alphabetical order) after this is quail.el and
thought that it could be the problem and temporarily renamed it to
something else. However, that was not the case.

I am using mingw gcc and make and following instructions as in
http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/w32-build-emacs.html

This has worked before. Anybody else seeing a similar issue?

Thanks,
Sridhar

Here's output from report-emacs-bug
--
In GNU Emacs 23.0.60 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2008-05-09 on BOB-MARLEY

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: ENU
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: cp1252
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  recentf-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  global-auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> C-x 1 C-h C-a <escape> x r
e p o r t - e m <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
Replaced 0 occurrences
Mark set
Replaced 0 occurrences
Mark set
Replaced 0 occurrences
Mark set
Replaced 0 occurrences
Mark set
Replaced 0 occurrences
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a. [2 times]
Sridhar Boovaraghavan

* Re: Bootstrap failure with CVS HEAD, WinXP
@ 2008-05-09 23:35 ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2008-05-09 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sridhar Boovaraghavan; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 12:54 AM, Sridhar Boovaraghavan
<sridhar_ml@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Generating autoloads for international/mule-cmds.el...done
> Generating autoloads for international/mule-conf.el...
> Generating autoloads for international/mule-conf.el...done
> Generating autoloads for international/mule.el...
> Generating autoloads for international/mule.el...done
> Generating autoloads for international/ogonek.el...
> Generating autoloads for international/ogonek.el...done
> Local variables entry is missing the suffix
> make[1]: *** [autoloads] Error -1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `D:/emacs/lisp'
> make: *** [bootstrap-gmake] Error 2

Did you follow the instructions in nt/INSTALL, and specifically the
ones about checking out some files with "cvs update -kb"?

 Juanma

* Re: Bootstrap failure with CVS HEAD, WinXP
@ 2008-05-10  9:00 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2008-05-10  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sridhar Boovaraghavan; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Sridhar Boovaraghavan <sridhar_ml@yahoo.com>
> Date: Fri, 09 May 2008 18:54:39 -0400
>
> I am trying to build the latest cvs emacs (fetched a couple of hours
> ago, as well as about a day ago) and am encountering this problem in
> the build process.
>
> I have configured it with
>
> --with-gcc --without-xpm --cflags -Id:/Utilities/GnuWin32/include
>
> The configure and build process proceeds smoothly. The new emacs
> executable is created, but then it fails at the point below.
>
> --
> Generating autoloads for international/mule-cmds.el...done
> Generating autoloads for international/mule-conf.el...
> Generating autoloads for international/mule-conf.el...done
> Generating autoloads for international/mule.el...
> Generating autoloads for international/mule.el...done
> Generating autoloads for international/ogonek.el...
> Generating autoloads for international/ogonek.el...done
> Local variables entry is missing the suffix
> make[1]: *** [autoloads] Error -1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `D:/emacs/lisp'
> make: *** [bootstrap-gmake] Error 2
> --

I can't reproduce this with current CVS.  Bootstrap runs to completion
on my machine.

* Re: Bootstrap failure with CVS HEAD, WinXP
@ 2008-05-10 14:04   ` Sridhar Boovaraghavan
From: Sridhar Boovaraghavan @ 2008-05-10 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Juanma,

Yes, this was the problem. My cvs tree had lost the -kb settings as I
re-fetched the tree recently into a new directory.

Regards,
Sridhar
--
Sridhar Boovaraghavan