* Questions about leim/makefile.w32-in
@ 2006-12-15 17:39 Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2006-12-15 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

# Subdirectories to be made if $(srcdir) is different from the current
# directory.
SUBDIRS=quail

distclean: clean
	- $(DELTREE) $(SUBDIRS)
	- $(DEL) stamp-subdir

but:

 - DELTREE should be DEL_TREE
 - The comment talks about current dir != $(srcdir), but distclean
unconditionally deletes quail/. Why so?

                    /L/e/k/t/u

* Re: Questions about leim/makefile.w32-in
@ 2006-12-16 13:37 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-12-16 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 18:39:11 +0100
> From: "Juanma Barranquero" <lekktu@gmail.com>
>
> # Subdirectories to be made if $(srcdir) is different from the current
> # directory.
> SUBDIRS=quail

> distclean: clean
> 	- $(DELTREE) $(SUBDIRS)
> 	- $(DEL) stamp-subdir
>
> but:
>
>  - DELTREE should be DEL_TREE
>  - The comment talks about current dir != $(srcdir), but distclean
> unconditionally deletes quail/. Why so?

Because they are bugs?

Please use DEL_TREE in the first case and $(IFNOTSAMEDIR) in the
second.

Thanks for finding these problems.

* Re: Questions about leim/makefile.w32-in
@ 2006-12-16 15:45   ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2006-12-16 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On 12/16/06, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> Because they are bugs?

:)

> Please use DEL_TREE in the first case and $(IFNOTSAMEDIR) in the
> second.

I don't think $(IFNOTSAMEDIR) will work here. AFAICS, same-dir.tst
exists only during installation and it's removed as the last step.
At "make distclean" time it won't ever exist. Another file's existence
should be tested; perhaps .cvsignore or CVS, though that approach
seems unclean.

Ideas?

@ 2006-12-16 18:59     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-12-16 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 16:45:51 +0100
> From: "Juanma Barranquero" <lekktu@gmail.com>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> I don't think $(IFNOTSAMEDIR) will work here. AFAICS, same-dir.tst
> exists only during installation and it's removed as the last step.
> At "make distclean" time it won't ever exist. Another file's existence
> should be tested; perhaps .cvsignore or CVS, though that approach
> seems unclean.

Sorry, you are right.  But the file whose existence we should test is
already there: it's `stamp-subdir', because we create it only when we
build Emacs outside the source tree:

    $(SUBDIRS):
	    mkdir "$@"
	    echo stamp>stamp-subdir

Unfortunately, the way a file's existence is tested on Windows depends
on the shell.  So we need to have two helper targets, distclean-SH and
distclean-CMD, each one doing its magic, like IFNOTSAMEDIR does, and
then distclean should invoke the right target depending on the shell
in use.  You will find similar tricks in lisp/makefile.w32-in.

As an aside, I don't think we even support building Emacs on Windows
outside the source tree.  Can you try and see?  If I'm right, perhaps
we should simply make distclean do nothing for now, lest someone
invokes it by mistake, and leave the above-mentioned fixes for after
the release.

* Re: Questions about leim/makefile.w32-in
@ 2006-12-16 20:09       ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2006-12-16 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On 12/16/06, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> Sorry, you are right.  But the file whose existence we should test is
> already there: it's `stamp-subdir', because we create it only when we
> build Emacs outside the source tree:

Aha.

> As an aside, I don't think we even support building Emacs on Windows
> outside the source tree.  Can you try and see?

How do I try that?

@ 2006-12-16 22:04         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-12-16 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 21:09:17 +0100
> From: "Juanma Barranquero" <lekktu@gmail.com>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> > As an aside, I don't think we even support building Emacs on Windows
> > outside the source tree.  Can you try and see?
>
> How do I try that?

I'm not sure myself.  Perhaps "make OBJDIR=somewhere_else" would cause
the built files to go to the named directory.  In general, look
through the makefile's for the variables (hopefully, only one, but
don't count on that) that, if set, will cause the invoked commands to
put their output outside the source tree.  Unlike on Unix, the Windows
build does not support _configuring_ from a different directory, a-la
"/foo/bar/emacs/configure", so you actually must invoke "make" from
the source tree's nt/ subdirectory, as usual; but maybe there's a way
to force the build products to go elsewhere.