* On a few warnings of the Cigwin bootstrap
@ 2008-02-09 15:45 Angelo Graziosi
From: Angelo Graziosi @ 2008-02-09 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

Bootstrapping CVS on Cygwin, I observe this warning

Warning: Default coding system `iso-latin-1' disagrees with
system codeset `US-ASCII' for this locale.

It happens three times, at the end of the build, after the final build
of emacs.exe.

It is also the first message in the *Messages* buffer, when starting Emacs.

Could it be related to this discussion [1]?

Cheers,
    Angelo.

---
[1] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2008-02/msg00686.html

* Re: On a few warnings of the Cigwin bootstrap
@ 2008-02-09 16:42 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2008-02-09 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Angelo Graziosi; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2008 16:45:48 +0100
> From: Angelo Graziosi <angelo.graziosi@alice.it>
> CC: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> Bootstrapping CVS on Cygwin, I observe this warning
>
> Warning: Default coding system `iso-latin-1' disagrees with
> system codeset `US-ASCII' for this locale.
>
> It happens three times, at the end of the build, after the final build
> of emacs.exe.
>
> It is also the first message in the *Messages* buffer, when starting Emacs.
>
> Could it be related to this discussion [1]?

Yes, it's the same problem.  Let's see what Handa-san says about it.

* Re: On a few warnings of the Cigwin bootstrap
@ 2008-02-12 16:18   ` Angelo Graziosi
From: Angelo Graziosi @ 2008-02-12 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii ha scritto:
>> Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2008 16:45:48 +0100
>> From: Angelo Graziosi <angelo.graziosi@alice.it>
>> CC: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>>
>> Bootstrapping CVS on Cygwin, I observe this warning
>>
>> Warning: Default coding system `iso-latin-1' disagrees with
>> system codeset `US-ASCII' for this locale.
>>
>> It happens three times, at the end of the build, after the final build
>> of emacs.exe.
>>
>> It is also the first message in the *Messages* buffer, when starting Emacs.
>>
>> Could it be related to this discussion [1]?
>
> Yes, it's the same problem.  Let's see what Handa-san says about it.

Eli,
I have read [1] and haven't understood much.

In any case, it is strange.

[1] says that the Changes are those of 2002-10-..., but I have those
warnings only since Feb. 01-2008!

Are we sure that also this Change and friends

2008-02-01  Dave Love
[...]
          * international/mule-diag.el (list-charset-chars): Set buffer
            file coding system.
[...]

do not enter in the 'game'?

Cheers,
    Angelo.

---
[1] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2008-02/msg00944.html

* Re: On a few warnings of the Cigwin bootstrap
@ 2008-02-12 20:09     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2008-02-12 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Angelo Graziosi; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 17:18:41 +0100
> From: Angelo Graziosi <angelo.graziosi@alice.it>
> CC: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> > Yes, it's the same problem.  Let's see what Handa-san says about it.
>
> Eli,
> I have read [1] and haven't understood much.

AFAIU, Handa-san says that we can disable the warning without any ill
effects.  I will do so when I have time, unless someone beats me to
it.

In any case, you can stop worrying about this warning, it doesn't mean
something is wrong with your setup or your Emacs.

> [1] says that the Changes are those of 2002-10-..., but I have those
> warnings only since Feb. 01-2008!

That's because these changes were made when the unicode-based Emacs
was on a CVS branch.  That branch was merged with the trunk around Feb
1 this year.

* Re: On a few warnings of the Cigwin bootstrap
@ 2008-03-24 16:03   ` Angelo Graziosi
From: Angelo Graziosi @ 2008-03-24 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii ha scritto:
>> Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2008 16:45:48 +0100
>> From: Angelo Graziosi <angelo.graziosi@alice.it>
>> CC: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>>
>> Bootstrapping CVS on Cygwin, I observe this warning
>>
>> Warning: Default coding system `iso-latin-1' disagrees with
>> system codeset `US-ASCII' for this locale.
>>
>> It happens three times, at the end of the build, after the final build
>> of emacs.exe.
>>
>> It is also the first message in the *Messages* buffer, when starting Emacs.
>>
>> Could it be related to this discussion [1]?
>
> Yes, it's the same problem.  Let's see what Handa-san says about it.

For the sake of completeness, the warning comes out when I have

export LANG=it

Undefining it (export LANG=), the warning goes away.

Cheers,
    Angelo.

---
Facesti come quei che va di notte,
che porta il lume dietro e se' non giova,
ma dopo se' fa le persone dotte.
-
                   DANTE, Purgatorio, xxii 67-69

* Re: On a few warnings of the Cigwin bootstrap
@ 2008-04-08 14:57       ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2008-04-08 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel, Angelo Graziosi

On Tue, Feb 12, 2008 at 10:09 PM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

>  AFAIU, Handa-san says that we can disable the warning without any ill
>  effects.  I will do so when I have time, unless someone beats me to
>  it.

I've removed the warning.

 Juanma

* Re: On a few warnings of the Cigwin bootstrap
@ 2008-04-08 19:01         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2008-04-08 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juanma Barranquero; +Cc: emacs-devel, angelo.graziosi

> Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 16:57:43 +0200
> From: "Juanma Barranquero" <lekktu@gmail.com>
> Cc: "Angelo Graziosi" <angelo.graziosi@alice.it>, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> On Tue, Feb 12, 2008 at 10:09 PM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>
> >  AFAIU, Handa-san says that we can disable the warning without any ill
> >  effects.  I will do so when I have time, unless someone beats me to
> >  it.
>
> I've removed the warning.

Thanks.