* Re: [gritsch@iue.tuwien.ac.at: Severe hscroll-margin Bug]
       [not found]       ` <4402DB5B.90501@iue.tuwien.ac.at>
@ 2006-02-27 13:44         ` Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2006-02-27 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Markus Gritsch

Both incidents of the bug described below were observed on Windoze
(compiling with mingw).  I tried the recipe on X+GNU/Linux, but cannot
reproduce it.

Can one of the W32 maintainers pls try to reproduce it on their
system -- and possibly debug it to see why it loops.

Markus Gritsch <gritsch@iue.tuwien.ac.at> wrote:

I can now build Emacs from CVS and have done so on 2006-02-21 four days
ago. I still get a frozen Emacs wich takes 100% CPU when I use the
following .emacs file

(setq-default truncate-lines t)
(custom-set-variables
 '(hscroll-margin 20)
 '(hscroll-step 1)
)

and resize the Emacs frame to something quite narrow. If you would have
another fix, I could probably try it out.

GNU Emacs 22.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.2.3790) of 2006-02-21 on MGROOVY

Markus also wrote:

When I reported the bug the first time some months ago, David Hunter was
also able to reproduce the problem:
  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2005-07/msg00077.html

.. which says: ... on today's CVS, my mingw build, Windows XP SP2.

This does probably not help very much, but at least I am not the only
one, who can reproduce this :)

> Does it also loop if you start emacs -Q -D and execute the above
> lines directly?

Yes.

> Can you pls. run emacs under gdb and try to interrupt it to see where
> it is looping.	 You can find instructions in etc/DEBUG.

MGroovy:/cygdrive/c/emacs_CVS/emacs/bin$ gdb emacs.exe
GNU gdb 6.3.50_2004-12-28-cvs (cygwin-special)
conditions.
This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-cygwin"...
(gdb) run -Q -D
Starting program: /cygdrive/c/emacs_CVS/emacs/bin/emacs.exe -Q -D
Error: dll starting at 0x78d41000 not found.

Error: dll starting at 0x78d41000 not found.

Error: dll starting at 0x78c31000 not found.

[Switching to thread 4164.0x5b8]
0x7d542a49 in SetConsoleNlsMode ()
(gdb) where
#0  0x7d542a49 in SetConsoleNlsMode ()
#1  0x00000000 in ?? () from
(gdb) list
828	#ifdef VMS
829	, envp
830	#endif
831	)
832	     int argc;
833	     char **argv;
834	#ifdef VMS
835	     char **envp;
836	#endif
837	{
(gdb)

* Re: [gritsch@iue.tuwien.ac.at: Severe hscroll-margin Bug]
@ 2006-04-13  5:27           ` Markus Gritsch
From: Markus Gritsch @ 2006-04-13  5:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

The Problem described below is still present in current CVS Emacs.

@ 2006-04-13 17:34             ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-04-13 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel, storm

> Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 07:27:11 +0200
> From: Markus Gritsch <gritsch@iue.tuwien.ac.at>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> The Problem described below is still present in current CVS Emacs.
>
> Kim F. Storm wrote:
> > Both incidents of the bug described below were observed on Windoze
> > (compiling with mingw).  I tried the recipe on X+GNU/Linux, but cannot
> > reproduce it.
> >
> > Can one of the W32 maintainers pls try to reproduce it on their
> > system -- and possibly debug it to see why it loops.

I can reproduce this on my system.  I will try to see where it loops,
but it isn't easy on Windows (since interrupting a running program in
GDB does not work reliably).  Ideas and tricks are welcome.

> > Program received signal SIGINT, Interrupt.
> > [Switching to thread 4164.0x5b8]
> > 0x7d542a49 in SetConsoleNlsMode ()
> > (gdb) where
> > #0  0x7d542a49 in SetConsoleNlsMode ()
> > #1  0x00000000 in ?? () from

In particular, this backtrace is obviously useless.