* image display in MinGW build?
@ 2006-05-08  0:58 David Abrahams
From: David Abrahams @ 2006-05-08  0:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I've been building emacs with MinGW, having installed all the
necessary image libraries.  configure.bat seems to be satisfied that
they're there.  However, when I run emacs, I don't see most of the
nice image behaviors I expect.  I am seeing picons in Gnus, which is
certainly a step, but I can't view .png files, for example.  Toggling
image mode on them has no effect.  Can anyone offer a clue as to how
to make this work?

TIA,
Dave

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting

* Re: image display in MinGW build?
@ 2006-05-08  3:26 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-05-08  3:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> From: David Abrahams <dave@boost-consulting.com>
> Date: Sun, 07 May 2006 20:58:58 -0400
>
> I've been building emacs with MinGW, having installed all the
> necessary image libraries.  configure.bat seems to be satisfied that
> they're there.  However, when I run emacs, I don't see most of the
> nice image behaviors I expect.  I am seeing picons in Gnus, which is
> certainly a step, but I can't view .png files, for example.  Toggling
> image mode on them has no effect.  Can anyone offer a clue as to how
> to make this work?

Please tell where you downloaded the image libraries, and please post
the full output of configure.bat and the contents of nt/config.log
after running configure.bat.

Also, make sure the image libraries are installed somewhere along
PATH.

* Re: image display in MinGW build?
@ 2006-05-08  4:39   ` David Abrahams
From: David Abrahams @ 2006-05-08  4:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Eli, thanks for your help...

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: David Abrahams <dave@boost-consulting.com>
>> Date: Sun, 07 May 2006 20:58:58 -0400
>>
>> I've been building emacs with MinGW, having installed all the
>> necessary image libraries.  configure.bat seems to be satisfied that
>> they're there.  However, when I run emacs, I don't see most of the
>> nice image behaviors I expect.  I am seeing picons in Gnus, which is
>> certainly a step, but I can't view .png files, for example.  Toggling
>> image mode on them has no effect.  Can anyone offer a clue as to how
>> to make this work?
>
> Please tell where you downloaded the image libraries,

I used installers to do it, some time ago, but I see, e.g. libpng.dll
in c:/tools/mingw/bin

> Also, make sure the image libraries are installed somewhere along
> PATH.

I tried setting PATH in a command shell to start with
c:/tools/mingw/bin, to no avail.  But I must've done something wrong
because I just tried again... and it worked!  Happy, happy, joy, joy.

Thanks again.
--

@ 2006-05-08  9:11 ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2006-05-08  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

David Abrahams wrote:
> I am seeing picons in Gnus, which is certainly a step, but I can't view .png files, for example.  Toggling
> image mode on them has no effect.  Can anyone offer a clue as to how to make this work?

Are the image DLLs, and their dependencies like zlib etc, in your path?

* Re: image display in MinGW build?
@ 2006-05-08 10:33   ` David Abrahams
From: David Abrahams @ 2006-05-08 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Jason Rumney <jasonr@gnu.org> writes:

> David Abrahams wrote:
>> I am seeing picons in Gnus, which is certainly a step, but I can't
>> view .png files, for example.  Toggling image mode on them has no
>> effect.  Can anyone offer a clue as to how to make this work?
>>
> Are the image DLLs, and their dependencies like zlib etc, in your
> path?

They are now, and all is well.  Thanks.

--

@ 2006-05-08 10:38     ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2006-05-08 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: David Abrahams

On 5/8/06, David Abrahams <dave@boost-consulting.com> wrote:

> But I must've done something wrong
> because I just tried again... and it worked!  Happy, happy, joy, joy.

Glad it is working; anyway, to help debugging if this happens again to
you, you can use the `image-types' variable (which lists the image
types known, i.e., their support was compiled in), and the
`image-type-available-p' function (which indicates whether the image
type is actually available to Emacs).

In a fully configured MinGW build, `image-types' contains '(png gif
tiff jpeg xpm xbm pbm). If any of them is missing, there was some
problem locating the library headers at compile time (assuming they
were not explicitly left out with configure.bat, of course).

If an image type does appear in `image-types', but
(image-type-available-p type) returns nil, Emacs was unable to locate
the library .DLL.

Note, however, that the result of `image-type-available-p' is cached
internally, so if one library is missing and you add it to the path
*after* using `image-type-available-p' to try to load this particular
image type, it will still return nil until you restart Emacs.

Hope this helps,

--
                    /L/e/k/t/u

* Re: image display in MinGW build?
@ 2006-05-08 10:59       ` David Abrahams
From: David Abrahams @ 2006-05-08 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

"Juanma Barranquero" <lekktu@gmail.com> writes:

> In a fully configured MinGW build, `image-types' contains '(png gif
> tiff jpeg xpm xbm pbm).

That's what mine says.

> If any of them is missing, there was some
> problem locating the library headers at compile time (assuming they
> were not explicitly left out with configure.bat, of course).
>
> If an image type does appear in `image-types', but
> (image-type-available-p type) returns nil, Emacs was unable to locate
> the library .DLL.

(reduce
   (lambda (state type) (and state (image-type-available-p type)))
   image-types)

yields 't'  :)

> Note, however, that the result of `image-type-available-p' is cached
> internally, so if one library is missing and you add it to the path
> *after* using `image-type-available-p' to try to load this particular
> image type, it will still return nil until you restart Emacs.

Oh, that explains why one of my tests failed.  Thanks!

> Hope this helps,

It does, thanks again.

--
Dave Abrahams