I just tried to start two gdb sessions in one CVS Emacs session for the first time (I've done this many times in Emacs 21). I got the error message: "gdb: Multiple debugging is only supported with "gdb --fullname" So I dutifully added "--fullname" to the gdb command line: gdb --annotate=3 --fullname gds-main_models_test.exe and got the same error message. I read the GUD and GDB entries in the Emacs manual, and the help message for `gdb'; no success. Finally I read the Emacs lisp source code for gud, and found this comment in gud.el (gud-gdb-marker-filter): ;; Check for annotations and change gud-minor-mode to 'gdba if ;; they are found. It seems the real issue is the presence or absence of "--annotate=3", not the presence of "--fullname". In fact, "--fullname" is not necessary if compilation-search-path is set to include the source directories. So I suggest the attached patch to the Emacs manual (building.texi) and a couple gud doc strings.