From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
To: martin rudalics <rudalics@gmx.at>
Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Changes to windows.texi
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2008 22:16:08 +0200	[thread overview]

> Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2008 20:56:57 +0100
> From: martin rudalics <rudalics@gmx.at>
> CC: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> Many thanks for looking into this.

And many thanks for making the changes in the first place.

> Here makeinfo (GNU texinfo - 4.8) does not capitalize the S for @xref,
> so I was not aware of any such a problem.  Or does it capitalize them
> only in the printed manual?

It should capitalize them everywhere.  Are you sure it doesn't for
you?  Not even at the beginning of a sentence?

>  > Another potential issue is as in this example, which is a full
>  > sentence:
>  >
>  >   @var{window} defaults to the selected window.
>  >
>  > This makes "window", starting with a lower-case w, begin a sentence,
>  > which might look like a typo in the printed manual.  (In the Info
>  > manual, @var upcases its argument, so the problem is not visible.)
>  > the original text was
>  >
>  >   If @var{window} is omitted, this function returns the buffer for the
>  >   selected window.
>  >
>  > and thus didn't have this problem.  I didn't fix these sentences.
>
> The problem is that I would have to write
>
>     If @var{window} is omitted or @code{nil}, this function returns the
>     buffer for the selected window.
>
> to be correct, which means the sentence gets twice as long.  And there
> are many instances of that.  Writing
>
>     If @var{window} is omitted or @code{nil}, the selected window is
>     used.
>
> doesn't strike me as elegant either.  Anyway, I'll try to fix these
> somehow.

I suggest

  The default for @var{window} is the selected window.

>  > I also don't understand why you removed paragraph indentation as in
>  > this example:
>  >
>  >   -  Here is how you can determine whether a given position @var{position}
>  >   -is off the screen due to horizontal scrolling:
>  >   +Here is how you can determine whether a given position @var{position} is
>  >   +off the screen due to horizontal scrolling:
>  >
>  > I didn't fix these, either.
>
> This must have happened when I refilled them.  I shall look into this.
>
> Are such indentations necessary for formatting or are they a stylistic
> convention?

I think it's a convention to have the first paragraph of a section not
to be indented, and indent all the others, although the manual is not
always consistent in this.

Richard, could you please answer this question?

What makeinfo does is controlled by @firstparagraphindent and
@paragraphindent.