* MSVC build with nmake
@ 2005-11-17 19:39 Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2005-11-17 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

nt/INSTALL seems to imply that NMAKE is not known to allow MSVC builds
of NTEmacs.  Is that really true?

If someone does build with NMAKE, would you please suggest or install
a patch for nt/INSTALL that describes your combination of tools used
to build Emacs?

TIA

* Re: MSVC build with nmake
@ 2005-11-17 23:19 ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2005-11-17 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> nt/INSTALL seems to imply that NMAKE is not known to allow MSVC builds
> of NTEmacs.  Is that really true?

I think you are misreading something. NMAKE is required to build Emacs
with MSVC.

* Re: MSVC build with nmake
@ 2005-11-18 12:40   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2005-11-18 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> From: Jason Rumney <jasonr@gnu.org>
> Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 23:19:47 +0000
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > nt/INSTALL seems to imply that NMAKE is not known to allow MSVC builds
> > of NTEmacs.  Is that really true?
>
> I think you are misreading something. NMAKE is required to build Emacs
> with MSVC.

You are probably right about my misreading.  I will try to clarify the
text in nt/INSTALL.

* Re: MSVC build with nmake
@ 2005-11-18 13:40     ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2005-11-18 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>>>nt/INSTALL seems to imply that NMAKE is not known to allow MSVC builds
>>>of NTEmacs.  Is that really true?
>>>

>>I think you are misreading something. NMAKE is required to build Emacs
>>with MSVC.
>>

>You are probably right about my misreading.  I will try to clarify the
>text in nt/INSTALL.

I think what you are refering to is the table showing versions of GNU
make and the compiler that was used to compile it, showing which
versions of GNU make work for compiling Emacs when compiling with gcc.
That information is probably out of date now, as GNU make, Cygwin and
MinGW32 have all moved on, and different bugs exist in the current versions.

* Re: MSVC build with nmake
@ 2005-11-18 14:57       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2005-11-18 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 13:40:53 +0000
> From: Jason Rumney <jasonr@gnu.org>
> CC: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> I think what you are refering to is the table showing versions of GNU
> make and the compiler that was used to compile it, showing which
> versions of GNU make work for compiling Emacs when compiling with gcc.

Yes.  It says nothing about MSVC and NMAKE, so it looked as if it says
those will not work.  But now I realize that was not the intent, so I
will reorganize the text to make it clear.

> That information is probably out of date now, as GNU make, Cygwin and
> MinGW32 have all moved on, and different bugs exist in the current versions.

Several months ago, I've added there an entry for the latest released
version of Make, so it cannot be too outdated.

* Re: MSVC build with nmake
@ 2005-11-19 13:20     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2005-11-19 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 14:40:51 +0200
> From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> > Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> > From: Jason Rumney <jasonr@gnu.org>
> > Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 23:19:47 +0000
> >
> > Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
> >
> > > nt/INSTALL seems to imply that NMAKE is not known to allow MSVC builds
> > > of NTEmacs.  Is that really true?
> >
> > I think you are misreading something. NMAKE is required to build Emacs
> > with MSVC.
>
> You are probably right about my misreading.  I will try to clarify the
> text in nt/INSTALL.

Done.