* bind next-error and previous-error in Occur mode?   read-only?
@ 2007-01-25 20:59 Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2007-01-25 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-Devel

I suppose this is a new-feature suggestion, but it might be considered a bug
;-).

Now that `next-error' and `previous-error' work with `occur', why not bind
them to easy-to-hit keys in Occur mode?

Also, shouldn't buffer *Occur* be read-only? If it were, we could bind `n'
and `p' to `next-error-noselect' and `previous-error-noselect', just as in
buffer *grep*.

* Re: bind next-error and previous-error in Occur mode?   read-only?
@ 2007-01-26  3:09 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-01-26  3:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: emacs-devel

    Now that `next-error' and `previous-error' work with `occur', why not bind
    them to easy-to-hit keys in Occur mode?

Let's not think about this now.

* Re: bind next-error and previous-error in Occur mode? read-only?
@ 2007-01-26  5:36   ` Masatake YAMATO
From: Masatake YAMATO @ 2007-01-26  5:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: drew.adams, emacs-devel

Richard wrote:
>     Now that `next-error' and `previous-error' work with `occur', why not bind
>     them to easy-to-hit keys in Occur mode?
>
> Let's not think about this now.

Does anyone maintain something like TODO-AFTER-REALISE file?

Masatake

* Re: bind next-error and previous-error in Occur mode? read-only?
@ 2007-01-26  9:42     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-01-26  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Masatake YAMATO; +Cc: rms, drew.adams, emacs-devel

> Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 14:36:34 +0900 (JST)
> From: Masatake YAMATO <jet@gyve.org>
> Cc: drew.adams@oracle.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> Richard wrote:
> >     Now that `next-error' and `previous-error' work with `occur', why not bind
> >     them to easy-to-hit keys in Occur mode?
> >
> > Let's not think about this now.
>
> Does anyone maintain something like TODO-AFTER-REALISE file?

What's wrong with etc/TODO?

* Re: bind next-error and previous-error in Occur mode? read-only?
@ 2007-01-26 10:27       ` Masatake YAMATO
From: Masatake YAMATO @ 2007-01-26 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eliz; +Cc: rms, drew.adams, emacs-devel

> > Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 14:36:34 +0900 (JST)
> > From: Masatake YAMATO <jet@gyve.org>
> > Cc: drew.adams@oracle.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> >
> > Richard wrote:
> > >     Now that `next-error' and `previous-error' work with `occur', why not bind
> > >     them to easy-to-hit keys in Occur mode?
> > >
> > > Let's not think about this now.
> >
> > Does anyone maintain something like TODO-AFTER-REALISE file?
>
> What's wrong with etc/TODO?

No problem. Is there any criteria of adding an item to the file?

Masatake

* Re: bind next-error and previous-error in Occur mode? read-only?
@ 2007-01-26 14:43         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-01-26 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Masatake YAMATO; +Cc: rms, drew.adams, emacs-devel

> Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 19:27:35 +0900 (JST)
> Cc: rms@gnu.org, drew.adams@oracle.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> From: Masatake YAMATO <jet@gyve.org>
>
> No problem. Is there any criteria of adding an item to the file?

Not that I know.

* Re: bind next-error and previous-error in Occur mode?   read-only?
@ 2007-01-26 15:55 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2007-01-26 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On 25 Jan 2007, drew.adams@oracle.com wrote:

> I suppose this is a new-feature suggestion, but it might be considered a bug
> ;-).
>
> Now that `next-error' and `previous-error' work with `occur', why not bind
> them to easy-to-hit keys in Occur mode?

I don't maintain occur-mode, but I did add the next/previous-error
support.  I didn't set default keys because they are (IMO) more useful
from the *other* buffer, not the *occur* buffer itself, so you can
move among matches.  That requires global bindings, probably, and the
feature was too new at the time.  At least that's how I remember it.
Anyhow, yes, that's a good idea and should be a TODO item.

I have more plans for next/previous-error, but RMS asked me to wait
until after the release to discuss and perhaps implement them.

> Also, shouldn't buffer *Occur* be read-only? If it were, we could bind `n'
> and `p' to `next-error-noselect' and `previous-error-noselect', just as in
> buffer *grep*.

I think that's a good TODO item as well.

Ted

* RE: bind next-error and previous-error in Occur mode?   read-only?
@ 2007-01-26 16:21   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2007-01-26 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Zlatanov, emacs-devel

> > Now that `next-error' and `previous-error' work with `occur',
> > why not bind them to easy-to-hit keys in Occur mode?

Someone on Emacs Wiki pointed out `next-error-follow-minor-mode', which I
wasn't aware of.

That's very good, but I wonder which is better: have such a minor mode, or
just make *Occur*, *grep* etc. read-only and bind `C-n' (or `n') directly in
it? The minor mode is more flexible, in that it gives you the choice (turn
it on or leave it off).

Regardless of whether we change *Occur* bindings after the release, how
about mentioning `next-error-follow-minor-mode' in the doc of `occur',
`grep' etc.? Or, how about automatically turning the mode on in these
buffers?

I also just noticed `occur-next', bound to `M-n' in *Occur*. It's good to
have a binding that does this, but wouldn't `C-n' be more logical? IOW,
wouldn't it make sense to have `C-n' be `occur-next' and have
`next-error-follow-minor-mode' use `M-n' instead of `C-n'? Is there a reason
to keep `C-n' as `next-line'?

Anyway, this is all stuff we can figure out after the release. Before the
release, however, we could perhaps mention `next-error-follow-minor-mode' in
the doc of `occur', `grep' etc. WDOT?

* Re: bind next-error and previous-error in Occur mode?   read-only?
@ 2007-01-26 19:05     ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2007-01-26 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On 26 Jan 2007, drew.adams@oracle.com wrote:

>>> Now that `next-error' and `previous-error' work with `occur',
>>> why not bind them to easy-to-hit keys in Occur mode?
>
> Someone on Emacs Wiki pointed out `next-error-follow-minor-mode', which I
> wasn't aware of.
... various good suggestions skipped...
> Anyway, this is all stuff we can figure out after the release. Before the
> release, however, we could perhaps mention `next-error-follow-minor-mode' in
> the doc of `occur', `grep' etc. WDOT?

I'll save this thread and follow up on your suggestions after the
release.  It's definitely something I want to pursue.

For the doc update, I don't have an opinion, except to note it will
affect many places in code and the manual, and so it is not trivial.

Ted

* RE: bind next-error and previous-error in Occur mode?   read-only?
@ 2007-01-26 19:15       ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2007-01-26 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Zlatanov, emacs-devel

> I'll save this thread and follow up on your suggestions after the
> release.  It's definitely something I want to pursue.
>
> For the doc update, I don't have an opinion, except to note it will
> affect many places in code and the manual, and so it is not trivial.

Let's not bother then, since this will be revisited one way or the other
after the release. If pertinent, it can be done at that time.

* Re: bind next-error and previous-error in Occur mode?   read-only?
@ 2007-02-01  2:53     ` Daniel Brockman
From: Daniel Brockman @ 2007-02-01  2:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> I also just noticed `occur-next', bound to `M-n' in *Occur*.
> It's good to have a binding that does this, but wouldn't `C-n'
> be more logical?  IOW, wouldn't it make sense to have `C-n'
> be `occur-next' and have `next-error-follow-minor-mode'
> use `M-n' instead of `C-n'?  Is there a reason to keep `C-n'
> as `next-line'?

Yes.  In fact, there is a very good reason:  That binding
is standard throughout all of Emacs.  I always use `C-n'
to move to the next line, and I would be confused if that
binding was changed in the *Occur* buffer --- even though
the command `occur-next' is similar to `next-line'.

Why do you think `C-n' is more logical than `M-n' here?

To me, it makes sense to rebind `C-n' only when moving by
lines in the usual manner does not itself make any sense.

After all, `next-line' is a pretty useful command.

--
Daniel Brockman <daniel@brockman.se>