* set-quit-char
@ 2008-09-20 13:25 Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2008-09-20 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

This function modifies quit_char, but it will have no visible effect
on typing the quit-char when Emacs waits for input, because the old
keybinding of C-g is still in effect.  For full effect of replacing
C-g with the new quit-char, one needs also to unbind C-g and bind the
new quit-char to keyboard-quit.

Should we do that automatically, as part of set-quit-char?  If not, at
least a message to that effect should be displayed, I think, since the
intricacies of handling C-g, even though they are described in the
ELisp manual, are IMO too much for Joe Random Lisp Hacker to grasp.

* Re: set-quit-char
@ 2008-09-20 16:07 ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2008-09-20 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> This function modifies quit_char, but it will have no visible effect
> on typing the quit-char when Emacs waits for input, because the old
> keybinding of C-g is still in effect.  For full effect of replacing
> C-g with the new quit-char, one needs also to unbind C-g and bind the
> new quit-char to keyboard-quit.

This feature is mostly broken, anyway. After the multi-tty merge the
quit char can no longer be changed in Emacs under X.

   "This function only has an effect on the controlling tty of the Emacs
    process."

--
Johan Bockgård

* Re: set-quit-char
@ 2008-09-20 17:07   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2008-09-20 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johan Bockgård; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: bojohan+news@dd.chalmers.se (Johan =?utf-8?Q?Bockg=C3=A5rd?=)
> Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2008 18:07:40 +0200
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > This function modifies quit_char, but it will have no visible effect
> > on typing the quit-char when Emacs waits for input, because the old
> > keybinding of C-g is still in effect.  For full effect of replacing
> > C-g with the new quit-char, one needs also to unbind C-g and bind the
> > new quit-char to keyboard-quit.
>
> This feature is mostly broken, anyway. After the multi-tty merge the
> quit char can no longer be changed in Emacs under X.

Do we want it to remain broken?

If not, then we should not ignore other aspects of it, even though it
wasn't fixed fully yet.

* Re: set-quit-char
@ 2008-09-20 17:31     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2008-09-20 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bojohan+news, emacs-devel

> Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2008 20:07:27 +0300
> From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> > From: bojohan+news@dd.chalmers.se (Johan =?utf-8?Q?Bockg=C3=A5rd?=)
> > Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2008 18:07:40 +0200
> >
> > Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
> >
> > > This function modifies quit_char, but it will have no visible effect
> > > on typing the quit-char when Emacs waits for input, because the old
> > > keybinding of C-g is still in effect.  For full effect of replacing
> > > C-g with the new quit-char, one needs also to unbind C-g and bind the
> > > new quit-char to keyboard-quit.
> >
> > This feature is mostly broken, anyway. After the multi-tty merge the
> > quit char can no longer be changed in Emacs under X.
>
> Do we want it to remain broken?

Btw, it's only partially broken: if you run Emacs on a single TTY, it
still does the job.

* Re: set-quit-char
@ 2008-09-20 17:39       ` Davi Leal
From: Davi Leal @ 2008-09-20 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel, Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: bojohan+news

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Do we want it to remain broken?
>
> Btw, it's only partially broken: if you run Emacs on a single TTY, it
> still does the job.

What about raising a warning if you try to do it in a X window?