* endianness test in md5.c
@ 2008-10-18  8:27 Ulrich Mueller
From: Ulrich Mueller @ 2008-10-18  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

src/md5.c contains the following code:

   # include <endian.h>
   # if __BYTE_ORDER == __BIG_ENDIAN
   #  define WORDS_BIG_ENDIAN 1
   # endif

I wonder, shouldn't it just use the macro defined in m/*.h instead
(at least for the case that HAVE_CONFIG_H is defined)?

Ulrich

* Re: endianness test in md5.c
@ 2008-10-18  9:06 ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2008-10-18  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ulrich Mueller; +Cc: emacs-devel

Ulrich Mueller <ulm@gentoo.org> writes:

> src/md5.c contains the following code:
>
>    # include <endian.h>
>    # if __BYTE_ORDER == __BIG_ENDIAN
>    #  define WORDS_BIG_ENDIAN 1
>    # endif
>
> I wonder, shouldn't it just use the macro defined in m/*.h instead
> (at least for the case that HAVE_CONFIG_H is defined)?

This is only used when compiled as part of glibc.

Andreas.

* Re: endianness test in md5.c
@ 2008-10-18  9:15   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2008-10-18  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Schwab; +Cc: ulm, emacs-devel

> From: Andreas Schwab <schwab@suse.de>
> Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2008 11:06:57 +0200
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> Ulrich Mueller <ulm@gentoo.org> writes:
>
> > src/md5.c contains the following code:
> >
> >    # include <endian.h>
> >    # if __BYTE_ORDER == __BIG_ENDIAN
> >    #  define WORDS_BIG_ENDIAN 1
> >    # endif
> >
> > I wonder, shouldn't it just use the macro defined in m/*.h instead
> > (at least for the case that HAVE_CONFIG_H is defined)?
>
> This is only used when compiled as part of glibc.

Exactly.  And md5.c is imported from glibc, so we don't want to make
local changes to it that are not necessary for Emacs, to make
importing future versions easier.