* Blank lines being added to Info dirs.
@ 2005-12-28  4:36 Luc Teirlinck
From: Luc Teirlinck @ 2005-12-28  4:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Each time I build and install Emacs, a blank line gets added to
/user/local/info/dir.  I do not remember seeing this before, so it
must be rather recent.

More precisely:

    Emacs
    * AUCTeX: (auctex).     A much enhanced TeX/LaTeX mode for Emacs.

    * Ada mode: (ada-mode). Emacs mode for editing Ada code.

Each time I build and install Emacs, I get one extra blank line
between the AUCTeX and "Ada mode" entries.

Is this just a local problem or a bug in the Makefiles?

Sincerely,

Luc.

* Re: Blank lines being added to Info dirs.
@ 2005-12-28 18:45 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2005-12-28 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 22:36:38 -0600 (CST)
> From: Luc Teirlinck <teirllm@dms.auburn.edu>
>
> Each time I build and install Emacs, a blank line gets added to
> /user/local/info/dir.  I do not remember seeing this before, so it
> must be rather recent.
>
> More precisely:
>
>     Emacs
>     * AUCTeX: (auctex).     A much enhanced TeX/LaTeX mode for Emacs.
>

>     * Ada mode: (ada-mode). Emacs mode for editing Ada code.
>
> Each time I build and install Emacs, I get one extra blank line
> between the AUCTeX and "Ada mode" entries.

Did you perhaps install a new version of Texinfo lately?

/user/local/info/dir is updated by running the install-info program
when you say "make install" (see Makefile.in in the top-level
directory of the source tree).  ada-mode is the first manual for which
install-info is run at "make install" time (AUC TeX is not part of the
Emacs distro, so its line doesn't get updated).  Can you see if a line
gets added if you run install-info manually from the shell's prompt to
update the entry for ada-mode?

* Re: Blank lines being added to Info dirs.
@ 2005-12-28 19:33   ` Luc Teirlinck
       [not found]     ` <uacelt1to.fsf@gnu.org>
From: Luc Teirlinck @ 2005-12-28 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

   Did you perhaps install a new version of Texinfo lately?

I have been using 4.8 for some time now.  Maybe I just recently
noticed the problem, or maybe I just recently one way or the other
got a blank line between entries somewhere (which apparently is what
triggers the behavior).

   Can you see if a line
   gets added if you run install-info manually from the shell's prompt to
   update the entry for ada-mode?

What seems to happen is that if an entry has a blank line underneath
it, install-info removes that blank line and adds a new blank line
_above_ the entry.  Running it a second time produces no second blank
line, because the blank line below is gone.  But if I then run
install-info on the next entry (autotype), the blank line below
autotype is removed and a new blank line above autotype and below
ada-mode appears.  Now running install-info on ada-mode gives yet
another blank line above ada-mode.  Because of this, the net result of
running make-install is to add one blank line between the AUCTeX and
ada-mode entries each time I run make-install.

Maybe the bug is local in that I should not have any blank lines
between entries to begin with.  I will try to remove them by hand and
see if that solves the problem.

@ 2005-12-28 20:10   ` Luc Teirlinck
From: Luc Teirlinck @ 2005-12-28 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

I figured out what caused the bug.  It was not a local problem, but a
bug triggered by a blank line in the @direntry of org.texi.  I removed
that blank line and the bug should be gone now.

It nevertheless seems bad that install-info can not handle such
non-standard @direntry's better.  If install-info can not handle blank
lines in @direntry's at all, then maybe `(texinfo)Installing Dir Entries'
should warn about that.

@ 2005-12-28 20:52       ` Luc Teirlinck
From: Luc Teirlinck @ 2005-12-28 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

   Even if the blank lines trigger this, it is IMHO a bug worth reporting
   to the Texinfo bug address.

I just reported it.

@ 2005-12-28 21:27   ` Luc Teirlinck
From: Luc Teirlinck @ 2005-12-28 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

>From my previous reply:

   I figured out what caused the bug.  It was not a local problem, but a
   bug triggered by a blank line in the @direntry of org.texi.  I removed
   that blank line and the bug should be gone now.

But people using both Emacs CVS and Texinfo4.8 may still want to
remove the existing blank lines in the Emacs section of their dir
files by hand, if they noticed the same problem I did.

@ 2005-12-28 21:49     ` Luc Teirlinck
From: Luc Teirlinck @ 2005-12-28 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

>From my previous reply:

      I figured out what caused the bug.  It was not a local problem, but a
      bug triggered by a blank line in the @direntry of org.texi.  I removed
      that blank line and the bug should be gone now.

   But people using both Emacs CVS and Texinfo4.8 may still want to
   remove the existing blank lines in the Emacs section of their dir
   files by hand, if they noticed the same problem I did.

To avoid confusion:  the above only applies to people who use
Texinfo4.8 _and_ use make-install.  The problem does not affect people
who run Emacs from the build directory.

@ 2005-12-28 21:56       ` Luc Teirlinck
From: Luc Teirlinck @ 2005-12-28 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

>From my previous reply:

   To avoid confusion:  the above only applies to people who use
   Texinfo4.8 _and_ use make-install.  The problem does not affect people
   who run Emacs from the build directory.

To be more clear: I do not believe that there is a need to remove the
blank lines from emacs/info/dir.  I believe that they are OK.  I
believe that they are intentional (although I am not really sure about
that).

Sincerely,

Luc.