* Refcard files
@ 2006-06-09  9:09 Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-06-09  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw

People are committing changes to the various *-refcard.tex files, but
the corresponding *.ps files are not regenerated.  Since reading the
PostScript files requires the knowledge of the language in which it
was written, and since (AFAIK) producing some .ps files needs a
special setup of TeX and dvips, I think people who modify the TeX
sources should also take care of regenerating and committing the
PostScript files.

TIA

* Re: Refcard files
@ 2006-06-09 12:21 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-06-09 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw
  Cc: emacs-devel

On Fri, Jun 09 2006, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> People are committing changes to the various *-refcard.tex files, but
> the corresponding *.ps files are not regenerated.  Since reading the
> PostScript files requires the knowledge of the language in which it
> was written, and since (AFAIK) producing some .ps files needs a
> special setup of TeX and dvips, I think people who modify the TeX
> sources should also take care of regenerating and committing the
> PostScript files.

I will regenerate the PostScript files or ask the translator to send
the will as well and commit them.  (Apart from pl-refcard, I'm able to
produce all of them with TeXlive 2005.  Wlodek Bzyl has already sent
me pl-refcard.ps)

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Refcard files
@ 2006-06-09 15:59 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-06-09 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw
  Cc: emacs-devel

    People are committing changes to the various *-refcard.tex files, but
    the corresponding *.ps files are not regenerated.  Since reading the
    PostScript files requires the knowledge of the language in which it
    was written, and since (AFAIK) producing some .ps files needs a
    special setup of TeX and dvips, I think people who modify the TeX
    sources should also take care of regenerating and committing the
    PostScript files.

Can we determine which .ps files need to be specially prepared?

Then let's set up a makefile which will update those that can be
updated normally, and having comments identifying those .ps files that
cannot be updated normally.

* Re: Refcard files
@ 2006-06-09 16:40   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-06-09 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw

> From: Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2006 14:21:51 +0200
>
> I will regenerate the PostScript files or ask the translator to send
> the will as well and commit them.

Thanks.

> (Apart from pl-refcard, I'm able to produce all of them with TeXlive
> 2005.  Wlodek Bzyl has already sent me pl-refcard.ps)

At least for the Czech one, I think in the past someone told me that a
special Czech version of TeX was required to produce good results.
But I might be mistaken, it was quite some time ago.

In any case, it is best for the translator to produce the PostScript
files.

* Re: Refcard files
@ 2006-06-09 16:51   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-06-09 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw
  Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
> CC: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2006 11:59:40 -0400
>
>     People are committing changes to the various *-refcard.tex files, but
>     the corresponding *.ps files are not regenerated.  Since reading the
>     PostScript files requires the knowledge of the language in which it
>     was written, and since (AFAIK) producing some .ps files needs a
>     special setup of TeX and dvips, I think people who modify the TeX
>     sources should also take care of regenerating and committing the
>     PostScript files.
>
> Can we determine which .ps files need to be specially prepared?

I think at least cs-refcard.tex needs that (it seems to use special
hyphenation rules).

* Re: Refcard files
@ 2006-06-09 18:34     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-06-09 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw
  Cc: rms, emacs-devel

On Fri, Jun 09 2006, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
>> Can we determine which .ps files need to be specially prepared?
>
> I think at least cs-refcard.tex needs that (it seems to use special
> hyphenation rules).

Yes, `cs-refcard.dvi' is produced using "csplain cs-refcard".  All
??-*refcard.tex files contain `compile-command' as a local variable.
(I've recently added the missing entries.)  pl-refcard need the "mex"
format.

>> Then let's set up a makefile which will update those that can be
>> updated normally, and having comments identifying those .ps files that
>> cannot be updated normally.

The following Makefile rules work for me (I don't have "mex" format,
though).

refcards:	refcard.ps cs-refcard.ps de-refcard.ps fr-refcard.ps \
		pl-refcard.ps pt-br-refcard.ps ru-refcard.ps sk-refcard.ps

refcard.dvi de-refcard.dvi fr-refcard.dvi pt-br-refcard.dvi sk-refcard.dvi:	%.dvi:	%.tex
	tex $<

cs-refcard.dvi:	%.dvi:	%.tex
	csplain $<

pl-refcard.dvi: %.dvi:	%.tex
	if ! kpsewhich -format=fmt mex > /dev/null; then \
	  echo "No mex format found."; false; \
	fi
	tex $<

ru-refcard.dvi:	%.dvi:	%.tex
	latex $<

refcard.ps de-refcard.ps fr-refcard.ps pt-br-refcard.ps:	%.ps:	%.dvi
	dvips -t landscape $<

cs-refcard.ps pl-refcard.ps ru-refcard.ps sk-refcard.ps:	%.ps:	%.dvi
	dvips $<

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,