* questions on INSTALL.cvs
@ 2006-08-10 23:05 ken
From: ken @ 2006-08-10 23:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

The INSTALL.cvs file gives the following commands (here numbered for
clarity and brevity):

A.1.$ ./configure
A.2.$ make bootstrap

B.1.$ ./configure
B.2.$ make
B.3.$ cd lisp
B.4.$ make recompile EMACS=../src/emacs
B.5.$ cd ..
B.6.$ make

I'm building emacs (effectively) for the first time.  Have run A.1 and
A.2.  Do I now run B.1 through B.6?  Or does A.1 and A.2 replace B.1 and
B.2?  Or something else?

Thanks.

* Re: questions on INSTALL.cvs
@ 2006-08-10 23:27 ` Eric Hanchrow
From: Eric Hanchrow @ 2006-08-10 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

    The INSTALL.cvs file gives the following commands (here numbered for
    clarity and brevity):

    A.1.$ ./configure
    A.2.$ make bootstrap

    B.1.$ ./configure
    B.2.$ make
    B.3.$ cd lisp
    B.4.$ make recompile EMACS=../src/emacs
    B.5.$ cd ..
    B.6.$ make

    I'm building emacs (effectively) for the first time.  Have run A.1 and
    A.2.  Do I now run B.1 through B.6?

Nope

    Or does A.1 and A.2 replace B.1 and B.2?

Yup

--
[T]he main reason Viaweb ended up being server-based was
that we didn't want to have to write Windows apps.

* Re: questions on INSTALL.cvs
@ 2006-08-11  2:53   ` ken
From: ken @ 2006-08-11  2:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Eric Hanchrow wrote:
>     The INSTALL.cvs file gives the following commands (here numbered for
>     clarity and brevity):
>
>     A.1.$ ./configure
>     A.2.$ make bootstrap

>     B.1.$ ./configure
>     B.2.$ make
>     B.3.$ cd lisp
>     B.4.$ make recompile EMACS=../src/emacs
>     B.5.$ cd ..
>     B.6.$ make
>
>     I'm building emacs (effectively) for the first time.  Have run A.1 and
>     A.2.  Do I now run B.1 through B.6?
>
> Nope
>
>     Or does A.1 and A.2 replace B.1 and B.2?
>
> Yup

Thanks much.  Someone should rewrite INSTALL.cvs a little to make this
clearer.

* Re: questions on INSTALL.cvs
@ 2006-08-11 12:54     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-08-11 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: offby1, emacs-devel

> Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 22:53:26 -0400
> From: ken <gebser@speakeasy.net>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> Eric Hanchrow wrote:
> >     The INSTALL.cvs file gives the following commands (here numbered for
> >     clarity and brevity):
> >
> >     A.1.$ ./configure
> >     A.2.$ make bootstrap

> >     B.1.$ ./configure
> >     B.2.$ make
> >     B.3.$ cd lisp
> >     B.4.$ make recompile EMACS=../src/emacs
> >     B.5.$ cd ..
> >     B.6.$ make
> >
> >     I'm building emacs (effectively) for the first time.  Have run A.1 and
> >     A.2.  Do I now run B.1 through B.6?
> >
> > Nope
> >
> >     Or does A.1 and A.2 replace B.1 and B.2?
> >
> > Yup
> >

> Thanks much.  Someone should rewrite INSTALL.cvs a little to make this
> clearer.

Could you please clarify what is unclear there.  The text of
INSTALL.CVS begins with this:

    Some of the files that are included in the Emacs tarball, such as
    byte-compiled Lisp files, are not stored in the CVS repository.
    Therefore, to build from CVS you must run "make bootstrap"
    instead of just "make":

      $ ./configure
      $ make bootstrap

    The bootstrap process makes sure all necessary files are rebuilt
    before it builds the final Emacs binary.

    Normally, it is not necessary to use "make bootstrap" after every CVS
    update.  Unless there are problems, we suggest the following
    procedure:

      $ ./configure
      $ make
      $ cd lisp
      $ make recompile EMACS=../src/emacs
      $ cd ..
      $ make

The paragraph immediately preceding the second procedure clearly says
that it's an alternative: ``Normally, it is not necessary to use "make
bootstrap"...''  How much clearer can one get?

* Re: questions on INSTALL.cvs
@ 2006-08-11 17:53       ` Bill Wohler
From: Bill Wohler @ 2006-08-11 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 22:53:26 -0400
>> From: ken <gebser@speakeasy.net>
>> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>>
>> Eric Hanchrow wrote:
>> >     The INSTALL.cvs file gives the following commands (here numbered for
>> >     clarity and brevity):
>> >
>> >     A.1.$ ./configure
>> >     A.2.$ make bootstrap

>> >     B.1.$ ./configure
>> >     B.2.$ make
>> >     B.3.$ cd lisp
>> >     B.4.$ make recompile EMACS=../src/emacs
>> >     B.5.$ cd ..
>> >     B.6.$ make
>> >
>> >     I'm building emacs (effectively) for the first time.  Have run A.1 and
>> >     A.2.  Do I now run B.1 through B.6?
>> >
>> > Nope
>> >
>> >     Or does A.1 and A.2 replace B.1 and B.2?
>> >
>> > Yup
>> >

>> Thanks much.  Someone should rewrite INSTALL.cvs a little to make this
>> clearer.
>
> Could you please clarify what is unclear there.  The text of
> INSTALL.CVS begins with this:
>
>     Some of the files that are included in the Emacs tarball, such as
>     byte-compiled Lisp files, are not stored in the CVS repository.
>     Therefore, to build from CVS you must run "make bootstrap"
>     instead of just "make":
>
>       $ ./configure
>       $ make bootstrap
>
>     The bootstrap process makes sure all necessary files are rebuilt
>     before it builds the final Emacs binary.
>
>     Normally, it is not necessary to use "make bootstrap" after every CVS
>     update.  Unless there are problems, we suggest the following
>     procedure:
>
>       $ ./configure
>       $ make
>       $ cd lisp
>       $ make recompile EMACS=../src/emacs
>       $ cd ..
>       $ make
>
> The paragraph immediately preceding the second procedure clearly says
> that it's an alternative: ``Normally, it is not necessary to use "make
> bootstrap"...''  How much clearer can one get?

It was clear to me too. However, I think I was able to make the text
more explicit:

  Once you have run "make bootstrap", you can use the following
  alternative, quicker, procedure after subsequent CVS updates:

    $ ./configure
    $ make
    $ cd lisp
    $ make recompile EMACS=../src/emacs
    $ cd ..
    $ make

  Sometimes, certain changes require another "make bootstrap." If you
  run into compile-time or run-time problems after running the
  alternative procedure, use "make bootstrap."

I can check this in if there aren't any objections.

Also, it has been my experience that if there are problems, I also
need to run "make maintainer-clean" before "make bootstrap." Any
objections or better suggestions to modifying the latter paragraph as
follows?

  Sometimes, certain changes require another "make bootstrap." If you
  run into compile-time or run-time problems after running the
  alternative procedure, use "make maintainer-clear; make bootstrap."

* Re: questions on INSTALL.cvs
@ 2006-08-12 12:04         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-08-12 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com>
> Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 10:53:25 -0700
>
> It was clear to me too. However, I think I was able to make the text
> more explicit:
>
>   Once you have run "make bootstrap", you can use the following
>   alternative, quicker, procedure after subsequent CVS updates:
>
>     $ ./configure
>     $ make
>     $ cd lisp
>     $ make recompile EMACS=../src/emacs
>     $ cd ..
>     $ make
>
>   Sometimes, certain changes require another "make bootstrap." If you
>   run into compile-time or run-time problems after running the
>   alternative procedure, use "make bootstrap."
>
> I can check this in if there aren't any objections.

I clarified the text is a slightly different way, thanks.

* Re: questions on INSTALL.cvs
@ 2006-08-12 17:16           ` Bill Wohler
From: Bill Wohler @ 2006-08-12 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> I clarified the text is a slightly different way, thanks.

Yes, I see. That's good too.