* when can I set background color for single window
@ 2006-03-16  4:45 Emacs Rocky
From: Emacs Rocky @ 2006-03-16  4:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

sometimes, I want to set the background color for a single window not for
the whole frame.

Will this feature be supported in the future?

* Re: when can I set background color for single window
@ 2006-03-16  9:09 ` Jan D.
From: Jan D. @ 2006-03-16  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Emacs Rocky wrote:
> sometimes, I want to set the background color for a single window not
> for the whole frame.
>
> Will this feature be supported in the future?

Probably not.  There has not been any request (that I know of) for this
before, and it is a bit of work to do.  Each Emacs window in the same frame
shares the underlying X window.  Setting the background on a part of an X
window means drawing it manually.  It can be done, but I think it is a big
change.  Now, if each Emacs window would have its own X window, then it would
be easy.

	Jan D.

* Re: when can I set background color for single window
@ 2006-03-17 10:27   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-03-17 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: rockyemacs, emacs-devel

> Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 10:09:01 +0100
> From: "Jan D." <jan.h.d@swipnet.se>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> Emacs Rocky wrote:
> > sometimes, I want to set the background color for a single window not
> > for the whole frame.
> >
> > Will this feature be supported in the future?
>
> Probably not.

For the general feature, I tend to agree.  But it might be possible to
achieve the same effect with the current code in some specific
situations.

So I'd like to ask the OP to please describe the situation where such
a per-window color setting is required.  Perhaps we can come up with
advice how to solve that specific case.