* 22.1.50; function (keyboard-coding-system) doesn't consistent with variable keyboard-coding-system
@ 2007-09-04  4:01 Zhang Wei
From: Zhang Wei @ 2007-09-04  4:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-pretest-bug

In my system (Windows XP, cp936 locale), function
(keyboard-coding-system) returns nil, while variable
keyboard-coding-system has a value of "cp936", this result in that
chinese characters can't be inputed with system input method, I have to
add (set-keyboard-coding-system 'cp936) in my ~/.emacs to make the
system input method work, which was not necessary some days ago.

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
    `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
If you would like to further debug the crash, please read the file
c:/Emacs/etc/DEBUG for instructions.

In GNU Emacs 22.1.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2007-09-03 on BREPHOME
modified by Zhangwei <id.brep@gmail.com>.
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (3.4)'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: CHS
  locale-coding-system: cp936
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  auto-image-file-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  pc-selection-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  unify-8859-on-encoding-mode: t
  utf-translate-cjk-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <down-mouse-1>
<mouse-1> C-x 1 M-x r e p o r t - e m a c d s <backspace>
C-g C-g C-g M-x r e p o r t e C-g M-x r e p o a r t
C-g C-h v k e y b o a r d - c o d i n g - s y s t e
m <return> ( k e y b o a r d M-/ ) C-j M-x r e p o
<backspace> r t - e m a c s - b u g <return>

Recent messages:
For information about the GNU system and GNU/Linux, type C-h C-p.
Quit [5 times]
Type C-x 1 to remove help window.
Scanning for dabbrevs...100%
Expansion found in '*Help*'
Scanning for dabbrevs...100%

* Re: 22.1.50; function (keyboard-coding-system) doesn't consistent with variable keyboard-coding-system
@ 2007-09-04  4:26 ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2007-09-04  4:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zhang Wei; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug, emacs-devel

Sorry for not responding on this matter.

In article <u8x7nm63s.fsf@gmail.com>, Zhang Wei <id.brep@gmail.com> writes:

> In my system (Windows XP, cp936 locale), function
> (keyboard-coding-system) returns nil, while variable
> keyboard-coding-system has a value of "cp936", this result in that
> chinese characters can't be inputed with system input method, I have to
> add (set-keyboard-coding-system 'cp936) in my ~/.emacs to make the
> system input method work, which was not necessary some days ago.

I suspect that this is because of multi-tty change which was
installed some days ago.  Those who know about multi-tty
codes, please check what was broken.

FYI, on GNU/Linux, when invoked by "emacs -nw",
keyboard-coding-system is correctly set.

---
Kenichi Handa
handa@m17n.org

* Re: 22.1.50; function (keyboard-coding-system) doesn't consistent with variable keyboard-coding-system
@ 2007-09-04 22:57   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-09-04 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kenichi Handa; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug, id.brep, emacs-devel

    > In my system (Windows XP, cp936 locale), function
    > (keyboard-coding-system) returns nil, while variable
    > keyboard-coding-system has a value of "cp936", this result in that
    > chinese characters can't be inputed with system input method, I have to
    > add (set-keyboard-coding-system 'cp936) in my ~/.emacs to make the
    > system input method work, which was not necessary some days ago.

    I suspect that this is because of multi-tty change which was
    installed some days ago.  Those who know about multi-tty
    codes, please check what was broken.

I don't think so, because the version number he gives is that of
EMACS_22_BASE.  In multi-tty, the version number is 23.0.50.

Please investigate this as a bug in Emacs 22.

* Re: 22.1.50; function (keyboard-coding-system) doesn't consistent with variable keyboard-coding-system
@ 2007-09-06 12:35     ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2007-09-06 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug, id.brep, emacs-devel

In article <E1IShL3-0002f6-DW@fencepost.gnu.org>, Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> In my system (Windows XP, cp936 locale), function
> (keyboard-coding-system) returns nil, while variable
> keyboard-coding-system has a value of "cp936", this result in that
> chinese characters can't be inputed with system input method, I have to
> add (set-keyboard-coding-system 'cp936) in my ~/.emacs to make the
> system input method work, which was not necessary some days ago.

>     I suspect that this is because of multi-tty change which was
>     installed some days ago.  Those who know about multi-tty
>     codes, please check what was broken.

> I don't think so, because the version number he gives is that of
> EMACS_22_BASE.  In multi-tty, the version number is 23.0.50.

> Please investigate this as a bug in Emacs 22.

I tested EMACS_22_BASE, before-merge-multi-tty-to-trunk,
merge-multi-tty-to-trunk, and the latest trunk on
Windows-XP.

The first two have no problem.  merge-multi-tty-to-trunk
can't be build because of compilation error.  The latest
trunk code can be build but, (keyboard-coding-system)
returns nil.

So, I still think that the problem is because of multi-tty
merging.

---
Kenichi Handa
handa@m17n.org

* Re: 22.1.50; function (keyboard-coding-system) doesn't consistent with variable keyboard-coding-system
@ 2007-09-07  6:32       ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-09-07  6:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kenichi Handa; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug, id.brep, emacs-devel

Please talk with the O.P. to figure out which version has this
problem. Ok?

Maybe it IS due to the multi-tty merge.  But if so, it still needs to
be fixed, and you are the expert on this.  Could you investigate?

* Re: 22.1.50; function (keyboard-coding-system) doesn't consistent with variable keyboard-coding-system
@ 2007-09-07 16:03         ` Zhang Wei
From: Zhang Wei @ 2007-09-07 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug, emacs-devel, Kenichi Handa

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> Please talk with the O.P. to figure out which version has this
> problem. Ok?

The trunk has this problem.

* Re: 22.1.50; function (keyboard-coding-system) doesn't consistent with variable keyboard-coding-system
@ 2007-09-08  8:44     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-09-08  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: id.brep, emacs-devel, handa

> From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
> Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2007 18:57:41 -0400
> Cc: emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org, id.brep@gmail.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
>     > In my system (Windows XP, cp936 locale), function
>     > (keyboard-coding-system) returns nil, while variable
>     > keyboard-coding-system has a value of "cp936", this result in that
>     > chinese characters can't be inputed with system input method, I have to
>     > add (set-keyboard-coding-system 'cp936) in my ~/.emacs to make the
>     > system input method work, which was not necessary some days ago.
>
>     I suspect that this is because of multi-tty change which was
>     installed some days ago.  Those who know about multi-tty
>     codes, please check what was broken.
>
> I don't think so, because the version number he gives is that of
> EMACS_22_BASE.  In multi-tty, the version number is 23.0.50.
>
> Please investigate this as a bug in Emacs 22.

There's no bug in Emacs 22.x, neither in the released version 22.1 nor
in the current EMACS_22_BASE branch in CVS.  The trunk does exhibit
the bug

Like Handa-san, I suspect that this problem is caused by the multi-tty
merge.