* lisp/makefile.in edit needed for --no-cygwin build
@ 2005-08-28  8:18 David Abrahams
From: David Abrahams @ 2005-08-28  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Trying to rebuild NTEmacs today using MinGW I found that I needed to replace:

	$(EMACS) $(EMACSOPT) -l autoload --eval '(setq generated-autoload-file "$(lisp)/loaddefs.el")' -f batch-update-autoloads $$wins

with

	$(EMACS) $(EMACSOPT) -l autoload --eval '(setq generated-autoload-file "./loaddefs.el")' -f batch-update-autoloads $$wins

The absolute windows pathname in $(lisp) seemed to be confusing emacs.

This change would be posted as a patch, but I didn't actually test a
change to makefile.in; I edited the generated makefile to make things
work.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting

* Re: lisp/makefile.in edit needed for --no-cygwin build
@ 2005-08-28 19:47 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2005-08-28 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> From: David Abrahams <dave@boost-consulting.com>
> Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 04:18:57 -0400
>

> Trying to rebuild NTEmacs today using MinGW I found that I needed to replace:
>
> 	$(EMACS) $(EMACSOPT) -l autoload --eval '(setq generated-autoload-file "$(lisp)/loaddefs.el")' -f batch-update-autoloads $$wins
>
> with
>
> 	$(EMACS) $(EMACSOPT) -l autoload --eval '(setq generated-autoload-file "./loaddefs.el")' -f batch-update-autoloads $$wins
>
> The absolute windows pathname in $(lisp) seemed to be confusing emacs.

I'm guessing that it isn't Emacs that gets confused, it's your shell.
(What is your shell, and where did you get its port?)  Can you try to
verify that?  For example, what happens if you rename sh.exe to
something else, and then try to rebuild (thus forcing Make to use
cmd.exe)?

Anyway, your change only works when Emacs is built from within its
source tree.  In other cases, we _need_ an absolute file name there.