* First call of url-generic-parse-url<f> is broken
@ 2006-11-13  6:21 Shun-ichi GOTO
From: Shun-ichi GOTO @ 2006-11-13  6:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

The function url-generic-parse-url<f> returns strange data on the first call.

Here is actual example:

;; this is my local setting
(setq url-proxy-services
      '(("http" . "zippo:8080"))

;; first try
(url-generic-parse-url "http://www.meadowy.org/~gotoh/projects/trac-wiki/xmlrpc\
")
=> ["http" nil nil "www.meadowy.org" 80 "http://zippo:8080/" nil nil t]
                                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                           strange!

;; again
(url-generic-parse-url "http://www.meadowy.org/~gotoh/projects/trac-wiki/xmlrpc\
")
=> ["http" nil nil "www.meadowy.org" 80 "/~gotoh/projects/trac-wiki/xmlrpc" nil ni\
l t]

I chaised and found a bug.
url-generic-parse-url<f> calls url-scheme-get-property<f> in the
middle of the parsing to get port number for scheme.
But url-scheme-get-property<f> invoke url-generic-parse-url<f> again
to parse url value in url-proxy-services.
Because url-generic-parse-url<f> uses fixed named buffer,
the buffer contents for first parse is broken by 2nd one.

I suggest using with-temp-buffer<f> for allocating working buffer
instead of get-buffer-create<f>.
Or move use of url-schem-get-property to end of function
before (vector ...).

--- Regards,
 Shun-ichi Goto  <gotoh@taiyo.co.jp>
   R&D Group, TAIYO Corp., Tokyo, JAPAN

* Re: First call of url-generic-parse-url<f> is broken
@ 2006-11-15 23:15 ` Magnus Henoch
From: Magnus Henoch @ 2006-11-15 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Shun-ichi GOTO <gotoh@taiyo.co.jp> writes:

> I chaised and found a bug.
> url-generic-parse-url<f> calls url-scheme-get-property<f> in the
> middle of the parsing to get port number for scheme.
> But url-scheme-get-property<f> invoke url-generic-parse-url<f> again
> to parse url value in url-proxy-services.
> Because url-generic-parse-url<f> uses fixed named buffer,
> the buffer contents for first parse is broken by 2nd one.
>
> I suggest using with-temp-buffer<f> for allocating working buffer
> instead of get-buffer-create<f>.
> Or move use of url-schem-get-property to end of function
> before (vector ...).

I did the former.  Thanks!

Magnus