* docs for insert-file-contents use 'bytes'
@ 2008-09-29 19:58 Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2008-09-29 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

The docs for insert-file-contents say the range is in bytes, but that
function does decoding of the contents.  Can it, therefore, read from an
undesirable position (e.g. the middle of a UTF-8 sequence)?  How does
Emacs handle that?  Or does "bytes" really mean position by character?

Either way the docs need to state the operation mode clearly.  I'd do it
but I don't know enough :)

Thanks
Ted

* Re: docs for insert-file-contents use 'bytes'
@ 2008-09-29 20:12 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2008-09-29 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Zlatanov; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com>
> Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 14:58:17 -0500
>
> The docs for insert-file-contents say the range is in bytes, but that
> function does decoding of the contents.  Can it, therefore, read from an
> undesirable position (e.g. the middle of a UTF-8 sequence)?

The range _is_ in bytes (you will see in fileio.c that Emacs uses
`lseek' to get to the required file positions).  Yes, reading a part
of a multibyte sequence is a possibility.

> How does Emacs handle that?

Like with any other random bytes, I think: it will produce eight-bit-*
characters in the buffer.  IOW, you get garbled text.

> Either way the docs need to state the operation mode clearly.

Assuming I don't miss anything, and the above is indeed correct, what
would you like the doc string to say, exactly?

* Re: docs for insert-file-contents use 'bytes'
@ 2008-09-29 21:04   ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2008-09-29 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 23:12:58 +0300 Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

>> From: Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com>
>> Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 14:58:17 -0500
>>
>> The docs for insert-file-contents say the range is in bytes, but that
>> function does decoding of the contents.  Can it, therefore, read from an
>> undesirable position (e.g. the middle of a UTF-8 sequence)?

EZ> The range _is_ in bytes (you will see in fileio.c that Emacs uses
EZ> `lseek' to get to the required file positions).  Yes, reading a part
EZ> of a multibyte sequence is a possibility.

>> How does Emacs handle that?

EZ> Like with any other random bytes, I think: it will produce eight-bit-*
EZ> characters in the buffer.  IOW, you get garbled text.

This is not a safe operation mode with multibyte sequences; is there a
way to DTRT?  I'm specifically thinking about a paged buffer mode where
you only see a small portion of the file (for editing large files, as we
discussed in another newsgroup a while ago).

>> Either way the docs need to state the operation mode clearly.

EZ> Assuming I don't miss anything, and the above is indeed correct, what
EZ> would you like the doc string to say, exactly?

Maybe add:

"Warning: this is not safe with variable-length multibyte encodings such
as UTF-8, because it works by byte offset without encoding awareness, so
you may get garbled data.  See ??? instead."

I don't know if this is the right wording, but it's a pretty essential
operation so it should give some warning about this common (nowadays)
case.

@ 2008-09-30  6:06     ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2008-09-30  6:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Zlatanov; +Cc: emacs-devel

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
> EZ> Like with any other random bytes, I think: it will produce eight-bit-*
> EZ> characters in the buffer.  IOW, you get garbled text.
>
> This is not a safe operation mode with multibyte sequences; is there a
> way to DTRT?  I'm specifically thinking about a paged buffer mode where
> you only see a small portion of the file (for editing large files, as we
> discussed in another newsgroup a while ago).

Why is it "not safe"?  How would you do things differently?

In conjunction with _file_ contents, a byte offset seems certainly the
most natural thing.  An "encoded character offset", for instance, would
be far less efficient, much more complex to implement (and thus
buggier), and harder to use in general.

-Miles

--
Sabbath, n. A weekly festival having its origin in the fact that God made the
world in six days and was arrested on the seventh.

* Re: docs for insert-file-contents use 'bytes'
@ 2008-09-30  7:19     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2008-09-30  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Zlatanov; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com>
> Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 16:04:13 -0500
>
> This is not a safe operation mode with multibyte sequences; is there a
> way to DTRT?  I'm specifically thinking about a paged buffer mode where
> you only see a small portion of the file (for editing large files, as we
> discussed in another newsgroup a while ago).

How about this idea: read a bit more than you want, then find safe
place to end this page-full?

> I don't know if this is the right wording, but it's a pretty essential
> operation so it should give some warning about this common (nowadays)
> case.

Is it really a common case that insert-file-contents is used to read a
portion of a file?  Where is this used?

* Re: docs for insert-file-contents use 'bytes'
@ 2008-09-30 13:48       ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2008-09-30 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 10:19:26 +0300 Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

>> From: Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com>
>> Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 16:04:13 -0500
>>
>> This is not a safe operation mode with multibyte sequences; is there a
>> way to DTRT?  I'm specifically thinking about a paged buffer mode where
>> you only see a small portion of the file (for editing large files, as we
>> discussed in another newsgroup a while ago).

EZ> How about this idea: read a bit more than you want, then find safe
EZ> place to end this page-full?

How do I find the next safe position in the byte flow?

>> I don't know if this is the right wording, but it's a pretty essential
>> operation so it should give some warning about this common (nowadays)
>> case.

EZ> Is it really a common case that insert-file-contents is used to read a
EZ> portion of a file?  Where is this used?

I want to use it to implement a paged view of large files.  We discussed
this in emacs-help and you suggested using insert-file-contents IIRC.

Anyhow, the point is the docs don't mention this issue, let's fix that
first.  I mention one possible way to do the code below.

On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 15:06:17 +0900 Miles Bader <miles.bader@necel.com> wrote:

MB> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
EZ> Like with any other random bytes, I think: it will produce eight-bit-*
EZ> characters in the buffer.  IOW, you get garbled text.
>>
>> This is not a safe operation mode with multibyte sequences; is there a
>> way to DTRT?  I'm specifically thinking about a paged buffer mode where
>> you only see a small portion of the file (for editing large files, as we
>> discussed in another newsgroup a while ago).

MB> Why is it "not safe"?

Because the text will be corrupted if you seek in the middle of a
multibyte sequence, and there's no way to know in advance if a position
is safe without at least some scanning.

MB> How would you do things differently?

I don't know, I'm just saying the docs don't mention the possibility of
corrupted text.  Can we fix that, if possible?  The docs just need to
warn, not solve the issue.

MB> In conjunction with _file_ contents, a byte offset seems certainly the
MB> most natural thing.  An "encoded character offset", for instance, would
MB> be far less efficient, much more complex to implement (and thus
MB> buggier), and harder to use in general.

Agreed.  Still, encoding schemes like UTF-8 are so popular today that
the docs should at least warn about careless seeking to a byte offset.

There could be a insert-file-decoded-contents that seeks to a byte
position and gets the next character at or after that position.  That's
not too hard to implement and it's fast.

@ 2008-09-30 15:58         ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2008-09-30 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Zlatanov; +Cc: emacs-devel

>>> This is not a safe operation mode with multibyte sequences; is there a
>>> way to DTRT?  I'm specifically thinking about a paged buffer mode where
>>> you only see a small portion of the file (for editing large files, as we
>>> discussed in another newsgroup a while ago).

EZ> How about this idea: read a bit more than you want, then find safe
EZ> place to end this page-full?

> How do I find the next safe position in the byte flow?

It's a dificult problem for everyone.  Which is why Emacs doesn't do it
for you, basically: I don't think anyone has made serious use of that
feature yet, so nobody has gone to the trouble of coming up with
a good solution.

Maybe you can simply look at the end of the previous insertion, count
the number of eight-bit-* chars that were inserted (these correspond to
bytes that belong to the char that straddles the boundary) so as to find
the end of the last complete char you encountred.

> I want to use it to implement a paged view of large files.  We discussed
> this in emacs-help and you suggested using insert-file-contents IIRC.

This is a very good application indeed.

> Because the text will be corrupted if you seek in the middle of a
> multibyte sequence, and there's no way to know in advance if a position
> is safe without at least some scanning.

It's not exactly "corrupted" in the sense that, while it is not
displayed correctly, it should be correctly saved back so no information
is lost.  Basically, some of the bytes are decoded with the wrong
coding-system, but this coding system is supposed to be safe.

No doubt that it's not "good enough" in general.

> There could be a insert-file-decoded-contents that seeks to a byte
> position and gets the next character at or after that position.  That's
> not too hard to implement and it's fast.

It wouldn't be good enough for your application because you might then
lose the chars that straddle a boundary.

* Re: docs for insert-file-contents use 'bytes'
@ 2008-09-30 16:29         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2008-09-30 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Zlatanov; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com>
> Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 08:48:28 -0500
>
> EZ> How about this idea: read a bit more than you want, then find safe
> EZ> place to end this page-full?
>
> How do I find the next safe position in the byte flow?

In C or in ELisp?

* Re: docs for insert-file-contents use 'bytes'
@ 2008-10-01  0:44         ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2008-10-01  0:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Zlatanov; +Cc: emacs-devel

In article <8663od68yb.fsf@lifelogs.com>, Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> There could be a insert-file-decoded-contents that seeks to a byte
> position and gets the next character at or after that position.  That's
> not too hard to implement and it's fast.

It's not that easy.  Some encoding requires to seek back an
escape sequence to get the next character.  And, for UTF-16
with BOM, we have to check the first 2-byte.

---
Kenichi Handa
handa@ni.aist.go.jp

* Re: docs for insert-file-contents use 'bytes'
@ 2008-10-01 16:54           ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2008-10-01 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 09:44:31 +0900 Kenichi Handa <handa@m17n.org> wrote:

KH> In article <8663od68yb.fsf@lifelogs.com>, Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>> There could be a insert-file-decoded-contents that seeks to a byte
>> position and gets the next character at or after that position.  That's
>> not too hard to implement and it's fast.

KH> It's not that easy.  Some encoding requires to seek back an
KH> escape sequence to get the next character.  And, for UTF-16
KH> with BOM, we have to check the first 2-byte.

OK.  Does it ever require going more than N*2 (where N = max sequence
length for the encoding) bytes back?  Is N ever bigger than 10?  If not,
it may be complicated code but at least it will be fairly fast.

The semantics could be (given N as above):

1) jump to character number C: scan from beginning of file and count
characters up to C if the encoding has a variable length.  Otherwise the
offset is obvious.

2) jump to character around/at byte B: jump to B-N*2 and scan characters
forward until you find the one that straddles or begins at B.  Also
should have a way to report that character's actual starting byte
position.

3) jump to byte: operate as now, just a fseek

For my purposes (2) is most useful, but I can use (3) and bypass
encodings.  (1) is not good for me, since the application is to view
large files, but (1) is OK for small files.

On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 11:58:12 -0400 Stefan Monnier <monnier@IRO.UMontreal.CA> wrote:

>> I want to use it to implement a paged view of large files.  We discussed
>> this in emacs-help and you suggested using insert-file-contents IIRC.

SM> This is a very good application indeed.

It's on my TODO list :)  I'm more concerned with fixing the docs,
though, as that was the original intent of my post.  Can they just warn
about the issue, as I suggested?

>> Because the text will be corrupted if you seek in the middle of a
>> multibyte sequence, and there's no way to know in advance if a position
>> is safe without at least some scanning.

SM> It's not exactly "corrupted" in the sense that, while it is not
SM> displayed correctly, it should be correctly saved back so no information
SM> is lost.  Basically, some of the bytes are decoded with the wrong
SM> coding-system, but this coding system is supposed to be safe.

SM> No doubt that it's not "good enough" in general.

Right, it's the interpretation of the data, not the data itself, that's
incorrect.  Variable-length encodings are annoying.

>> There could be a insert-file-decoded-contents that seeks to a byte
>> position and gets the next character at or after that position.  That's
>> not too hard to implement and it's fast.

SM> It wouldn't be good enough for your application because you might then
SM> lose the chars that straddle a boundary.

That's fine.  I would just seek back N bytes and resynchronize (see
above).  I could also make the mode only work with bytes, bypassing
encoding schemes.  This would be a good thing, actually, for cases where
the user might page or search through many megabytes of data quickly.

@ 2008-10-02  1:33             ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2008-10-02  1:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Zlatanov; +Cc: emacs-devel

In article <868wt845op.fsf@lifelogs.com>, Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

KH> It's not that easy.  Some encoding requires to seek back an
KH> escape sequence to get the next character.  And, for UTF-16
KH> with BOM, we have to check the first 2-byte.

> OK.  Does it ever require going more than N*2 (where N = max sequence
> length for the encoding) bytes back?  Is N ever bigger than 10?  If not,
> it may be complicated code but at least it will be fairly fast.

N can be much much longer than 10.  For instance, the
following is the byte sequence of iso-2022-jp for a Japanese
sentence (ESC code is represented by "^[").

^[$BA0$N2hLL$H<!$N2hLL$H$G$O!I=<($5$l$kFbMF$K2?9T$+$N=E$J$j$,$$j$^$9!#$3^[(B
^[$B$l$O!I=<($5$l$F$$$kFbMF$,OB3$7$F$$$k$3$H$,$9$0H=$k$h$&$K$9$k$?$a$G$9!#^[(B

We must search back the sequence ^[$B or ^[(B for
iso-2022-jp.  Which pattern to search depends on the
coding-system.

> The semantics could be (given N as above):

> 1) jump to character number C: scan from beginning of file and count
> characters up to C if the encoding has a variable length.  Otherwise the
> offset is obvious.

> 2) jump to character around/at byte B: jump to B-N*2 and scan characters
> forward until you find the one that straddles or begins at B.  Also
> should have a way to report that character's actual starting byte
> position.

> 3) jump to byte: operate as now, just a fseek

> For my purposes (2) is most useful, but I can use (3) and bypass
> encodings.  (1) is not good for me, since the application is to view
> large files, but (1) is OK for small files.

As you now see from the above example, implementing (2) is
very difficult.  And, for small files, we don't need (1).
We can just read the whole file.

---
Kenichi Handa
handa@ni.aist.go.jp

* Re: docs for insert-file-contents use 'bytes'
@ 2008-10-02  1:58             ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2008-10-02  1:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Zlatanov; +Cc: emacs-devel

In article <868wt845op.fsf@lifelogs.com>, Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> That's fine.  I would just seek back N bytes and resynchronize (see
> above).  I could also make the mode only work with bytes, bypassing
> encoding schemes.  This would be a good thing, actually, for cases where
> the user might page or search through many megabytes of data quickly.

How about reading a file in a unibyte buffer with
no-conversion, and decode one page by one into a view
buffer.   Except for UTF-16 encoding, it is safe to set the
decoding boundary at newline positions.

---
Kenichi Handa
handa@ni.aist.go.jp

* Re: docs for insert-file-contents use 'bytes'
@ 2008-10-02 13:42               ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2008-10-02 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 10:33:49 +0900 Kenichi Handa <handa@m17n.org> wrote:

KH> In article <868wt845op.fsf@lifelogs.com>, Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

>> That's fine.  I would just seek back N bytes and resynchronize (see
>> above).  I could also make the mode only work with bytes, bypassing
>> encoding schemes.  This would be a good thing, actually, for cases where
>> the user might page or search through many megabytes of data quickly.

KH> How about reading a file in a unibyte buffer with
KH> no-conversion, and decode one page by one into a view
KH> buffer.   Except for UTF-16 encoding, it is safe to set the
KH> decoding boundary at newline positions.

That could work, but I'd have to grab more than one page every time, so
the math could get tricky.  I'll have to play with this when it comes up
on my TODO list :)

From: Stefan Monnier @ 2008-10-02 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Zlatanov; +Cc: emacs-devel

KH> How about reading a file in a unibyte buffer with
KH> no-conversion, and decode one page by one into a view
KH> buffer.   Except for UTF-16 encoding, it is safe to set the
KH> decoding boundary at newline positions.

> That could work, but I'd have to grab more than one page every time, so
> the math could get tricky.  I'll have to play with this when it comes up
> on my TODO list :)

I'm not sure why you'd need such trick anyway.  Supposedly when you need
to read a new chunk, it's because the user bumped into the end of the
previous chunk, so you've read the previous chunk and from that read you
should be able to compute the byte-position of the last
complete character.
If that doesn't work in some cases (e.g. because the encoding has state
so you can't just start reading from the byte position of the last
complete char), maybe insert-file-contents should return a "decoder
state" object when can then be passed back in.

* Re: docs for insert-file-contents use 'bytes'
@ 2008-10-03 13:55                   ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2008-10-03 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 14:55:10 -0400 Stefan Monnier <monnier@IRO.UMontreal.CA> wrote:

KH> How about reading a file in a unibyte buffer with
KH> no-conversion, and decode one page by one into a view
KH> buffer.   Except for UTF-16 encoding, it is safe to set the
KH> decoding boundary at newline positions.

>> That could work, but I'd have to grab more than one page every time, so
>> the math could get tricky.  I'll have to play with this when it comes up
>> on my TODO list :)

SM> I'm not sure why you'd need such trick anyway.  Supposedly when you need
SM> to read a new chunk, it's because the user bumped into the end of the
SM> previous chunk, so you've read the previous chunk and from that read you
SM> should be able to compute the byte-position of the last
SM> complete character.
SM> If that doesn't work in some cases (e.g. because the encoding has state
SM> so you can't just start reading from the byte position of the last
SM> complete char), maybe insert-file-contents should return a "decoder
SM> state" object when can then be passed back in.

You're right, usually the user will ask for sequential access to large
files so these optimizations should work.

It needs to be as fast as possible regardless, because searching through
large amounts of data is painful (especially if the search fails) and I
expect searching to be one of the most common needs when viewing large
files.

Editing is another really nasty problem, of course, so I plan to make
the mode read-only at first.

Ted