* icomplete.el changes
@ 2008-05-30 20:06 Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2008-05-30 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I have a library (icomplete+.el) that extends icomplete.el. I just picked up a
Windows binary (thanks, Lennart) of Emacs 23 built on 2008-05-29, and I see that
icomplete.el has changed drastically. (None of my code works anymore with it.)

Besides doing a diff, I went to NEWS to find some description of the changes.
This is all I found by searching for "icomplete":

** Icomplete: `icomplete-prospects-height' supercedes
`icomplete-prospects-length'.

That doesn't really characterize the changes from either a Lisp or a user point
of view, AFAICT. The code now uses an overlay instead of inserting the icomplete
text, among other things. There seem to be quite a few changes.

How can I see the changelogs for this file? I use the Web page interface to CVS,
here: http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/emacs/emacs/lisp/icomplete.el?view=log.
Is this all there is as a record of the changes, or is there something else I
can consult?

The changes that break my code seem to have been made since 5/20, mostly by
Stefan. Without a good description, I'll just plow my way through the code and
diff, but I thought there might be a more substantial description of the changes
somewhere.

* Re: icomplete.el changes
@ 2008-05-30 21:29 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2008-05-30 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: "Drew Adams" <drew.adams@oracle.com>
> Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 13:06:05 -0700
>
> How can I see the changelogs for this file? I use the Web page interface to CVS,
> here: http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/emacs/emacs/lisp/icomplete.el?view=log.
> Is this all there is as a record of the changes, or is there something else I
> can consult?

The only other place is lisp/ChangeLog.

* RE: icomplete.el changes
@ 2008-05-30 21:39   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2008-05-30 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Eli Zaretskii'; +Cc: emacs-devel

> > How can I see the changelogs for this file? I use the Web
> > page interface to CVS, here:
> http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/emacs/emacs/lisp/icomplete.
> el?view=log.
> > Is this all there is as a record of the changes, or is
> > there something else I can consult?
>
> The only other place is lisp/ChangeLog.

Where is that?

I see no such file (or directory), if that means the `lisp' directory under
directory `emacs' (e.g. c:/emacs/lisp/ChangeLog).

* Re: icomplete.el changes
@ 2008-05-30 21:47     ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-05-30 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: 'Eli Zaretskii', emacs-devel

Drew Adams wrote:
>>> How can I see the changelogs for this file? I use the Web
>>> page interface to CVS, here:
>> http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/emacs/emacs/lisp/icomplete.
>> el?view=log.
>>> Is this all there is as a record of the changes, or is
>>> there something else I can consult?
>> The only other place is lisp/ChangeLog.
>
> Where is that?
>
> I see no such file (or directory), if that means the `lisp' directory under
> directory `emacs' (e.g. c:/emacs/lisp/ChangeLog).

It is only in the checked out sources. When you install Emacs in a
different directory you do not find them there.

When I build I install Emacs in a new directory so you do not get those
files with my builds.

You can get them from the CVS of course (from the web interface if you
want). The Changelog files are in the same directory as the files they
tell about.

* RE: icomplete.el changes
@ 2008-05-30 22:17       ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2008-05-30 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Lennart Borgman (gmail)'; +Cc: 'Eli Zaretskii', emacs-devel

> It is only in the checked out sources. When you install Emacs in a
> different directory you do not find them there.
>
> When I build I install Emacs in a new directory so you do not
> get those files with my builds.
>
> You can get them from the CVS of course (from the web
> interface if you
> want). The Changelog files are in the same directory as the
> files they tell about.

Ah, thanks, Lennart.

Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to have anything more than what I see at the
page /emacs/emacs/lisp/icomplete.el
(http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/emacs/emacs/lisp/icomplete.el?view=log).
BTW, it took a full 4 minutes to load that Web page!

* Re: icomplete.el changes
@ 2008-05-31  4:59 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2008-05-31  4:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: emacs-devel

> I have a library (icomplete+.el) that extends icomplete.el. I just
> picked up a Windows binary (thanks, Lennart) of Emacs 23 built on
> 2008-05-29, and I see that icomplete.el has changed drastically. (None
> of my code works anymore with it.)

> Besides doing a diff, I went to NEWS to find some description of the
> changes.  This is all I found by searching for "icomplete":

NEWS only describes the user-level changes since it's not an elisp library.

> That doesn't really characterize the changes from either a Lisp or
> a user point of view, AFAICT. The code now uses an overlay instead of
> inserting the icomplete text, among other things. There seem to be
> quite a few changes.

From a user point of view, there should be no other change (other than
details of how it handles the new partial-completion functionality).

> How can I see the changelogs for this file? I use the Web page
> interface to CVS, here:
> http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/emacs/emacs/lisp/icomplete.el?view=log.
> Is this all there is as a record of the changes, or is there something
> else I can consult?

That's all there is, yes.  Of course, there's also the actual diffs.