* Re: Emacs-diffs Digest, Vol 67, Issue 11
       [not found] <E1K3R9v-0003nH-Nh@monty-python.gnu.org>
@ 2008-06-03 18:22 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2008-06-03 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kenichi Handa; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2008 03:42:09 -0400
> From: emacs-diffs-request@gnu.org
>
> +2008-06-03  Kenichi Handa  <handa@m17n.org>
> +
> +	* makefile.w32-in (KOREAN): Remove ${srcdir}/quail/hangul3.elc.
> +	(leim-list.el): Remove leim-list.el at first.
> +
> +	* Makefile.in (KOREAN): Remove ${srcdir}/quail/hangul3.elc.
> +	(leim-list.el): Remove leim-list.el at first.

Handa-san, could you please tell why it is necessary to remove
leim-list.el?  The commands after that run the function
update-leim-list-file, so I assume that it can update an existing
file, it doesn't need to rebuild it from scratch.

* Re: Emacs-diffs Digest, Vol 67, Issue 11
@ 2008-06-04  0:40   ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2008-06-04  0:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

In article <ud4mycr9h.fsf@gnu.org>, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> > Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2008 03:42:09 -0400
> > From: emacs-diffs-request@gnu.org
> >
> > +2008-06-03  Kenichi Handa  <handa@m17n.org>
> > +
> > +	* makefile.w32-in (KOREAN): Remove ${srcdir}/quail/hangul3.elc.
> > +	(leim-list.el): Remove leim-list.el at first.
> > +
> > +	* Makefile.in (KOREAN): Remove ${srcdir}/quail/hangul3.elc.
> > +	(leim-list.el): Remove leim-list.el at first.

> Handa-san, could you please tell why it is necessary to remove
> leim-list.el?  The commands after that run the function
> update-leim-list-file, so I assume that it can update an existing
> file, it doesn't need to rebuild it from scratch.

The target leim-list.el depends on leim-ext.el, and we do
this at the end:

	sed -n '/^[^;]/ p' < ${srcdir}/leim-ext.el >> $@

So, when you modify leim-ext.el, leim-list.el is re-build,
but, if we don't remove leim-list.el at first, the contents
of leim-ext.el are duplicated.

In addition, update-leim-list-file works a little bit faster
when leim-list.el is vacant.

Do you actually find any problem with this change?

---
Kenichi Handa
handa@ni.aist.go.jp

* Re: Emacs-diffs Digest, Vol 67, Issue 11
@ 2008-06-04  3:21     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2008-06-04  3:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kenichi Handa; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Kenichi Handa <handa@m17n.org>
> CC: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2008 09:40:45 +0900
>
> The target leim-list.el depends on leim-ext.el, and we do
> this at the end:
>
> 	sed -n '/^[^;]/ p' < ${srcdir}/leim-ext.el >> $@
>
> So, when you modify leim-ext.el, leim-list.el is re-build,
> but, if we don't remove leim-list.el at first, the contents
> of leim-ext.el are duplicated.
>
> In addition, update-leim-list-file works a little bit faster
> when leim-list.el is vacant.
>
> Do you actually find any problem with this change?

No, I just wondered why something that was unchanged for so long is
being changed now.  I guess you are saying that appending leim-ext.el
to the existing leim-list.el was a mistake because it duplicated the
same stuff time and again?

* Re: Emacs-diffs Digest, Vol 67, Issue 11
@ 2008-06-04  5:02       ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2008-06-04  5:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

In article <u4p89dgvm.fsf@gnu.org>, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> > From: Kenichi Handa <handa@m17n.org>
> > CC: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> > Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2008 09:40:45 +0900
> >
> > The target leim-list.el depends on leim-ext.el, and we do
> > this at the end:
> >
> > 	sed -n '/^[^;]/ p' < ${srcdir}/leim-ext.el >> $@
> >
> > So, when you modify leim-ext.el, leim-list.el is re-build,
> > but, if we don't remove leim-list.el at first, the contents
> > of leim-ext.el are duplicated.
> >
> > In addition, update-leim-list-file works a little bit faster
> > when leim-list.el is vacant.
> >
> > Do you actually find any problem with this change?

> No, I just wondered why something that was unchanged for so long is
> being changed now.  I guess you are saying that appending leim-ext.el
> to the existing leim-list.el was a mistake because it duplicated the
> same stuff time and again?

I don't think appending leim-ext.el itself is not a mistake.
The mistake was not to start creating leim-list.el from scratch.

---
Kenichi Handa
handa@ni.aist.go.jp