* Cyrillic, utf-8 and windows
@ 2003-12-08 18:39 Sam Steingold
From: Sam Steingold @ 2003-12-08 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

GNU Emacs 21.3.50.1 (i386-msvc-nt5.0.2195)
 of 2003-11-20 on WINSTEINGOLDLAP
--with-msvc (12.00)

I can open in Emacs a utf-8 file with Cyrillic characters in it and it
is displayed just fine - with correct glyphs &c.
I set `default-input-method' to "cyrillic-yawerty" in .emacs,
so when I try C-\ `toggle-input-method', I get 2 "character outline
boxes" in the modeline and when I type, I see these "character outline
boxes" in the buffer instead of the characters I just typed.
When I save the buffer, kill it, and re-visit the file,
I see what I just typed displayed correctly as Cyrillic!
So, why does Emacs display the characters that I type as boxes
(rectangles) but shows them correctly when loaded from a file on disk?

I use:

  (setq default-input-method "cyrillic-yawerty")
  (prefer-coding-system 'utf-8)
  (when (fboundp 'utf-translate-cjk-mode) (utf-translate-cjk-mode 1))

Is there anything else I need to do?

Thanks!

<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.mideasttruth.com/> <http://www.honestreporting.com>
NY survival guide: when crossing a street, mind cars, not streetlights.