* Windows clipboard copy/paste
@ 2004-11-12 21:14 David Hanak
From: David Hanak @ 2004-11-12 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

(Disclaimer: I know this topic has been addressed several times before,
but even after a considerable time of googling I was unable to find a
definite answer, so here goes.)

I'm using NT/Emacs 21.3.50.1 (some kind of custom build found on the
web) under Windows XP (SP2):

GNU Emacs 21.3.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2004-02-13 on BERATUNG4

And I have some trouble copying international text to/from the system
clipboard.  Most of the time I need to copy latin-2 characters
(Hungarian being my mothertounge), although every once in a while it
would be advantageous to be able to copy other international characters
as well.

If I take this accented sequence, for example "áéíóőűŐŰ", and copy it to
the clipboard, the last four characters (which don't exist only in the
latin-2 charset) become ????.  In the other direction, if I copy a
Hungarian accented 'ő' from another windows application onto the
clipboard, and yank it into Emacs, I get 'o"' or 'õ'.

Since I have x-select-enable-clipboard set to t, this messes up the
Emacs-only copy/yank cycle, too.  I tried playing around with
'set-selection-coding-system' and 'set-w32-system-coding-system', but it
didn't really work.  Setting the selection coding system *does* help a
bit with the latin-2 characters, but it's still not perfect, because
then an 'ő' copied from Emacs becomes 'õ' in other applications, and of
course makes a mess of non latin-2 characters.  No better luck with
UTF-8 or UTF-16 either.

Is there a solution, or I just have to bear with it?

David Hanak - Research Engineer
Institute for Software Integrated Systems  |  http://www.isis.vanderbilt.edu
Vanderbilt University                      |      Work phone: (615) 343 1319
Box 1829, Station B, Nashville, TN 37235   |            PGP key ID: 266BC45F

* Re: Windows clipboard copy/paste
@ 2004-11-12 21:43 ` Benjamin Riefenstahl
From: Benjamin Riefenstahl @ 2004-11-12 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Hi David,

David Hanak writes:
> I'm using NT/Emacs 21.3.50.1 [...]

> And I have some trouble copying international text to/from the
> system clipboard.

I just some days ago posted a patch to use Unicode on the Windows
clipoard (look for the subject "Unicode support for the MS Windows
clipboard").  So if you can build your own Emacs you could try that.

> Most of the time I need to copy latin-2 characters (Hungarian being
> my mothertounge), although every once in a while it would be
> advantageous to be able to copy other international characters as
> well.

On Windows, realistically only using Unicode will help to
cut-and-paste text in an encoding that is not the same as the default
system 8-bit encoding.  The current Emacs can't do that properly
regardless how you configure it.

benny

* Re: Windows clipboard copy/paste
@ 2004-11-12 21:58   ` David Hanak
From: David Hanak @ 2004-11-12 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004, Benjamin Riefenstahl wrote:

>> And I have some trouble copying international text to/from the
>> system clipboard.
>
> I just some days ago posted a patch to use Unicode on the Windows
> clipoard (look for the subject "Unicode support for the MS Windows
> clipboard").  So if you can build your own Emacs you could try that.

Thanks, Benny, I'm gonna check it out.

> The current Emacs can't do that properly regardless how you configure
> it.

Ok, at least now I know and stop trying.

Thanks again,