* How are Windows users supposed to print the PostScript refcards?
@ 2007-08-08 20:37 Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2007-08-08 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi,

I wonder how users on Windows are supposed to print etc/refcard.ps and
the other refcards.  By default Windows doesn't assign any program to
"*.ps" so I guess most user won't know how to print them.

If it's possible to print them on Windows, it should be documented
(e.g. in etc/README).  Else, we could consider to include PDF files in
the Windows distribution.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: How are Windows users supposed to print the PostScript refcards?
@ 2007-08-08 20:59 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2007-08-08 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> If it's possible to print them on Windows, it should be documented
> (e.g. in etc/README).  Else, we could consider to include PDF files in
> the Windows distribution.

Regardless of Windows, I agree that PDF would be preferable.
But let's not add the "you need acrocrap breeder to read this", of course.
There are plenty of Free pdf viewers around.

* Re: How are Windows users supposed to print the PostScript refcards?
@ 2007-08-09  3:11 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-08-09  3:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Reiner Steib; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc>
> Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2007 22:37:36 +0200
>
> I wonder how users on Windows are supposed to print etc/refcard.ps and
> the other refcards.

If the printer supports PostScript, then by just copying them to the
printer (via any usual Windows UI, e.g. drag-n-drop, or print.exe, or
anything else).

If the printer do not support PostScript, then with Ghostscript, as on
any other platform.

> By default Windows doesn't assign any program to
> "*.ps" so I guess most user won't know how to print them.

Does any other platform assign any program to *.ps?

* Re: How are Windows users supposed to print the PostScript refcards?
@ 2007-08-09  5:24   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-08-09  5:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

    But let's not add the "you need acrocrap breeder to read this", of course.

We never recommend a non-free program, and of course that includes
acrocrap.

* Re: How are Windows users supposed to print the PostScript refcards?
@ 2007-08-09  5:51   ` Stephen J. Turnbull
From: Stephen J. Turnbull @ 2007-08-09  5:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Reiner Steib, emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii writes:

 > Does any other platform assign any program to *.ps?

I believe that Mac by default assigns "Preview".  Preview will call a
PS to PDF utility, then view the PDF file.

* Re: How are Windows users supposed to print the PostScript refcards?
@ 2007-08-09  8:26     ` Mathias Dahl
From: Mathias Dahl @ 2007-08-09  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen J. Turnbull; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, Reiner Steib, emacs-devel

>  > Does any other platform assign any program to *.ps?
>
> I believe that Mac by default assigns "Preview".  Preview will call a
> PS to PDF utility, then view the PDF file.

And under the GNU/Linux I use (Mandriva), PostScript files are opened
by Evince by default.

* Re: How are Windows users supposed to print the PostScript refcards?
@ 2007-08-09  8:38   ` Frank Schmitt
From: Frank Schmitt @ 2007-08-09  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> By default Windows doesn't assign any program to
>> "*.ps" so I guess most user won't know how to print them.
>
> Does any other platform assign any program to *.ps?

KDE assign kghostview

--
Did you ever realize how much text fits in eighty columns? If you now consider
that a signature usually consists of up to four lines, this gives you enough

* Re: How are Windows users supposed to print the PostScript refcards?
@ 2007-08-09 19:29   ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2007-08-09 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Thu, Aug 09 2007, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> From: Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc>
>> I wonder how users on Windows are supposed to print etc/refcard.ps and
>> the other refcards.
>
> If the printer supports PostScript, then by just copying them to the
> printer (via any usual Windows UI,

I'd expect that the usual Windows UI to print files is to double click
on the file in explorer and print via File/Print in the associated
application or use Print from the context menu (in explorer).

> e.g. drag-n-drop,

Drop where?  (On the printer's icon in the printer setup?)

> or print.exe, or anything else).

print.exe worked for me when I tried (but I was afraid to get 2500
lines of PostScript code instead of a two page refcard).

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,

@ 2007-08-09 19:46   ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2007-08-09 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Wed, Aug 08 2007, Stefan Monnier wrote:

>> Else, we could consider to include PDF files in the Windows
>> distribution.
>
> Regardless of Windows, I agree that PDF would be preferable.

Fine with me.  Providing PDFs for every PS in etc would need ~ 1MB, so
I think it's not a big deal.  I'd suggest to do it for already for
22.2.

Objections?

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,

@ 2007-08-09 22:27     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-08-09 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> From: Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2007 21:29:57 +0200
>
> > e.g. drag-n-drop,
>
> Drop where?

On a program such as PrintFile.

> (On the printer's icon in the printer setup?)

Might work, I didn't try.

* Re: How are Windows users supposed to print the PostScript refcards?
@ 2007-08-09 23:11     ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2007-08-09 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

Reiner Steib wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 08 2007, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>
>>> Else, we could consider to include PDF files in the Windows
>>> distribution.
>> Regardless of Windows, I agree that PDF would be preferable.
>
> Fine with me.  Providing PDFs for every PS in etc would need ~ 1MB, so
> I think it's not a big deal.  I'd suggest to do it for already for
> 22.2.
>
> Objections?

Sounds great to me.

* Re: How are Windows users supposed to print the PostScript refcards?
@ 2007-08-09 23:25     ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2007-08-09 23:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

> On Wed, Aug 08 2007, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>
>>> Else, we could consider to include PDF files in the Windows
>>> distribution.
>>
>> Regardless of Windows, I agree that PDF would be preferable.
>
> Fine with me.  Providing PDFs for every PS in etc would need ~ 1MB, so
> I think it's not a big deal.  I'd suggest to do it for already for
> 22.2.
>
> Objections?

How about deleting the postscript files and replacing them with the
pdfs?  After all, a few MB here, a few MB there, and soon we're
talking about real memory.

* Re: How are Windows users supposed to print the PostScript refcards?
@ 2007-08-09 23:56       ` Michaël Cadilhac
From: Michaël Cadilhac @ 2007-08-09 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

> Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> writes:

>>> Regardless of Windows, I agree that PDF would be preferable.
>>
>> Fine with me.  Providing PDFs for every PS in etc would need ~ 1MB, so
>> I think it's not a big deal.  I'd suggest to do it for already for
>> 22.2.
>>
>> Objections?
>
> How about deleting the postscript files and replacing them with the
> pdfs?

Note sure which part of your answer was ironic :-) Seriously, adding PDF
is an idea we can consider ; AFAIK /normal/ people tend to use PDF over
PS. Is deleting PS files such a harm ?

> After all, a few MB here, a few MB there, and soon we're talking
> about real memory.

Well, with your proposition, we'd use less MB:

$ cd ~/src/emacs/etc
$ for f (*.ps) ps2pdf $f
$ du -hc *.ps | tail -n1
3.0M    total
$ du -hc *.pdf | tail -n1
1.2M    total

--
 |   Michaël `Micha' Cadilhac       |  ... KVim is cited in the talk.        |
 |   http://michael.cadilhac.name   |   "I can't tell if I am more sorry     |

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 188 bytes --]

* Re: How are Windows users supposed to print the PostScript refcards?
@ 2007-08-10  2:27         ` Stephen J. Turnbull
From: Stephen J. Turnbull @ 2007-08-10  2:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michaël Cadilhac; +Cc: Chong Yidong, Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

Michaël Cadilhac writes:

 > Note sure which part of your answer was ironic :-) Seriously, adding PDF
 > is an idea we can consider ; AFAIK /normal/ people tend to use PDF over
 > PS. Is deleting PS files such a harm?

That's like asking "Is deleting .o files so harmful?" :-)  The PS
files are intermediate files, not even readable as source except to
dvips developers IMO.  PDF is superior in every way, including the
fact that some versions of Adobe Acrobat crash when faced with
Adobe-standard-conforming PDF files produced by some versions of
Ghostscript. :-)

ISTR that bug was restricted to certain Japanese fonts and Acrobat 5
on Windows, or so, so probably it won't bother anybody today.

* Re: How are Windows users supposed to print the PostScript refcards?
@ 2007-08-10  9:53           ` Michaël Cadilhac
From: Michaël Cadilhac @ 2007-08-10  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen J. Turnbull; +Cc: Chong Yidong, Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

"Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp> writes:

> Michaël Cadilhac writes:
>
>  > Note sure which part of your answer was ironic :-) Seriously, adding PDF
>  > is an idea we can consider ; AFAIK /normal/ people tend to use PDF over
>  > PS. Is deleting PS files such a harm?
>
> That's like asking "Is deleting .o files so harmful?" :-)  The PS
> files are intermediate files, not even readable as source except to
> dvips developers IMO.

Nah, not quite.  PS files are directly viewable, directly printable, and
a near-raw format, whereas .o files are just not executable as-is.
There are people in my lab that still tweak their resulting .ps files to
add more room here and there.

They are not intermediate files, they are one kind of final files.

> PDF is superior in every way

I do agree, but we don't use any feature of the PDF format in the
refcards, so the point is not here ;-)

--
 |   Michaël `Micha' Cadilhac       |  How come that I am arguing            |
 |   http://michael.cadilhac.name   |      against my idea and               |

@ 2007-08-10 13:51             ` Stephen J. Turnbull
From: Stephen J. Turnbull @ 2007-08-10 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michaël Cadilhac; +Cc: emacs-devel

Michaël Cadilhac writes:

 > Nah, not quite.  PS files are directly viewable, directly printable,

Not on an out-of-the-box Mac with a directly connected non-PS printer,
they're not.  Obviously the same is true of Windows, or this thread
wouldn't be happening.

* Re: How are Windows users supposed to print the PostScript refcards?
@ 2007-08-10 14:22               ` Michaël Cadilhac
From: Michaël Cadilhac @ 2007-08-10 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen J. Turnbull; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Michaël Cadilhac writes:
>
>  > Nah, not quite.  PS files are directly viewable, directly printable,
>
> Not on an out-of-the-box Mac with a directly connected non-PS printer,
> they're not.

Ok, you're right. I'm not sure what point you want to make though : even
on a Linux you can have neither a PS viewer nor a PDF one.  I was just
saying that PS /can be/ directly viewed and that PS is the default
format for a lot of printer, so there's no real point abandoning it.

> Obviously the same is true of Windows, or this thread wouldn't be
> happening.

An out-of-the-box Windows can't read PDF, AFAIK. And BTW, when you do a
« Print into a file » on Windows, you get PS files.

But we're arguing considerably about nothing and making noise. I think
the only thing we have to wait for is a decision, for example by RMS.

--
 |   Michaël `Micha' Cadilhac       |  To be portable,                       |
 |   http://michael.cadilhac.name   |    Just stay on Windows.               |

@ 2007-08-10 14:37               ` Jan Djärv
From: Jan Djärv @ 2007-08-10 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen J. Turnbull; +Cc: Michaël Cadilhac, emacs-devel

Stephen J. Turnbull skrev:
> Michaël Cadilhac writes:
>
>  > Nah, not quite.  PS files are directly viewable, directly printable,
>
> Not on an out-of-the-box Mac with a directly connected non-PS printer,
> they're not.  Obviously the same is true of Windows, or this thread
> wouldn't be happening.

Well, on Mac OSX you can view it in Preview, which converts it to PDF.  I
guess you can print it also, but I'm not sure.

	Jan D.

* Re: How are Windows users supposed to print the PostScript refcards?
@ 2007-08-10 14:49                 ` Michaël Cadilhac
From: Michaël Cadilhac @ 2007-08-10 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Djärv; +Cc: Stephen J. Turnbull, emacs-devel

Jan Djärv <jan.h.d@swipnet.se> writes:

> Stephen J. Turnbull skrev:
>> Michaël Cadilhac writes:
>>
>>  > Nah, not quite.  PS files are directly viewable, directly printable,
>>
>> Not on an out-of-the-box Mac with a directly connected non-PS printer,
>> they're not.  Obviously the same is true of Windows, or this thread
>> wouldn't be happening.
>>

> Well, on Mac OSX you can view it in Preview, which converts it to PDF.
> I guess you can print it also, but I'm not sure.

Still not sure if it's worth arguing, but indeed, apple.com says :

--
 |   Michaël `Micha' Cadilhac       |   - Focus behaves strangely in         |
 |   http://michael.cadilhac.name   |        floating ws.                    |

@ 2007-08-10 17:45                 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2007-08-10 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Fri, Aug 10 2007, Michaël Cadilhac wrote:

> An out-of-the-box Windows can't read PDF, AFAIK.

Correct, AFAIK.

> And BTW, when you do a « Print into a file » on Windows, you get PS
> files.

Only if the corresponding printer is a PS printer.  For a PCL printer
you get PCL data, CMIIW.

> But we're arguing considerably about nothing and making noise. I think
> the only thing we have to wait for is a decision, for example by RMS.

ACK.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,

@ 2007-08-10 19:34                 ` jemarch
From: jemarch @ 2007-08-10 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Djärv; +Cc: Stephen J. Turnbull, Cadilhac, emacs-devel

   > Michaël Cadilhac writes:
   >
   >  > Nah, not quite.  PS files are directly viewable, directly printable,
   >
   > Not on an out-of-the-box Mac with a directly connected non-PS printer,
   > they're not.  Obviously the same is true of Windows, or this thread
   > wouldn't be happening.

   Well, on Mac OSX you can view it in Preview, which converts it to PDF.  I
   guess you can print it also, but I'm not sure.

Macos natively support both Postscript and PDF. The graphics library
used by all the Macos application is PDF-based (the source of all the
graphics on screen is PDF). Before Macos 10, the graphics library used
Postscript.

* Re: How are Windows users supposed to print the PostScript refcards?
@ 2007-08-11 10:46         ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2007-08-11 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

[Resent, sorry if the message appears twice.]

On Fri, Aug 10 2007, Michaël Cadilhac wrote:

> Chong Yidong <cyd@stupidchicken.com> writes:
>> How about deleting the postscript files and replacing them with the
>> pdfs?
>
> Note sure which part of your answer was ironic :-) Seriously, adding PDF
> is an idea we can consider ; AFAIK /normal/ people tend to use PDF over
> PS. Is deleting PS files such a harm ?

I think adding *.pdf is fine (only ~ 1 MB) for a real benefit of many
users.  I didn't suggest to remove the PS versions, because on typical
GNU/Linux systems, the PDF would be converted to PS during the
printing process (e.g. with CUPS filters) so I'd rather keep the PS
files.  If size disk space is important, we may gzip the PS files like
we do for *.el.  Older Unix or GNU/Linux systems might not even be
able to print PDF while they can handle PS fine.

>> After all, a few MB here, a few MB there, and soon we're talking
>> about real memory.
>
> Well, with your proposition, we'd use less MB:
>
> $ cd ~/src/emacs/etc
> $ for f (*.ps) ps2pdf $f
> $ du -hc *.ps | tail -n1
> 3.0M    total
> $ du -hc *.pdf | tail -n1
> 1.2M    total

There's no reason to convert ps-prin0.ps and ps-prin1.ps to PDF.  And
we surely should not delete these two PS files.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,

@ 2007-08-11 18:04           ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2007-08-11 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

>>> How about deleting the postscript files and replacing them with the
>>> pdfs?
>>
>> Note sure which part of your answer was ironic :-) Seriously, adding PDF
>> is an idea we can consider ; AFAIK /normal/ people tend to use PDF over
>>  PS. Is deleting PS files such a harm ?

> I think adding *.pdf is fine (only ~ 1 MB) for a real benefit of many
> users.  I didn't suggest to remove the PS versions, because on typical
> GNU/Linux systems, the PDF would be converted to PS during the
> printing process (e.g. with CUPS filters) so I'd rather keep the PS
> files.  If size disk space is important, we may gzip the PS files like
> we do for *.el.  Older Unix or GNU/Linux systems might not even be
> able to print PDF while they can handle PS fine.

PS files can be generated just fine on those older systems.  And given that
on OT1H xpdf has worked fine for many years now, and OTOH PDFs are
sufficiently widespread that anyone whose system can't print PDFs will have
encountered many other more serious problems, I think that removing PS is
very reasonable.

PDF can be rendered faster than PS, is generally safer than PS (by virtue
of not being Turing-complete), is generally smaller as well, and can be
handled (e.g. searched) more easily.

The only downside I know of PDFs is that the tools to manipulate them
(e.g. put them in 2up or copy/paste some part of it) are rather lacking
in the Free Software world.

* Re: How are Windows users supposed to print the PostScript refcards?
@ 2007-08-11 19:23             ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2007-08-11 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Sat, Aug 11 2007, Stefan Monnier wrote:

>> I think adding *.pdf is fine (only ~ 1 MB) for a real benefit of many
>> users.  I didn't suggest to remove the PS versions, because on typical
>> GNU/Linux systems, the PDF would be converted to PS during the
>> printing process (e.g. with CUPS filters) so I'd rather keep the PS
>> files.  If size disk space is important, we may gzip the PS files like
>> we do for *.el.  Older Unix or GNU/Linux systems might not even be
>> able to print PDF while they can handle PS fine.

To make it more clear: I just didn't propose to remove the PS files,
but I won't object.

Some minor remarks...

> PS files can be generated just fine on those older systems.

Some refcards need special TeX variants (cs-refcard, pl-refcard).  But
if the user is interested in those refcard, probably these TeX
variants are available, too.

> PDF can be rendered faster than PS, is generally safer than PS (by virtue
> of not being Turing-complete), is generally smaller as well, and can be
> handled (e.g. searched) more easily.
>
> The only downside I know of PDFs is that the tools to manipulate them
> (e.g. put them in 2up

The pdfpages for pdfLaTeX does it.  But it's not a simple as running
psnup.

> or copy/paste some part of it) are rather lacking in the Free
> Software world.

Copy/paste doesn't work worse than for PS.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,

@ 2007-08-13  0:36           ` Michaël Cadilhac
From: Michaël Cadilhac @ 2007-08-13  0:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 866 bytes --]

> I think adding *.pdf is fine (only ~ 1 MB) for a real benefit of many
> users.

This is one point we all agree on, so let's do it.

> I didn't suggest to remove the PS versions, because on typical
> GNU/Linux systems, the PDF would be converted to PS during the
> printing process (e.g. with CUPS filters) so I'd rather keep the PS
> files.  If size disk space is important, we may gzip the PS files like
> we do for *.el.  Older Unix or GNU/Linux systems might not even be
> able to print PDF while they can handle PS fine.

I do agree.  And I think there's no point saying on the one side ``Hey,
buddy, you can use Emacs on your good'ol MO-5 and your toaster !'' and on
the other side ``What ? You don't have a PDF viewer or converter ? Go
die !''.

I'd go for a patch like the following :

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: Makefile.patch --]

Index: Makefile
RCS file: /sources/emacs/emacs/etc/Makefile,v
retrieving revision 1.13
diff -c -r1.13 Makefile
*** Makefile	26 Jul 2007 05:26:03 -0000	1.13
--- Makefile	13 Aug 2007 00:33:12 -0000
***************
*** 27,44 ****
  all: refcards dired-refcards misc-refcards

! refcards: refcard.ps cs-refcard.ps de-refcard.ps fr-refcard.ps \
            pl-refcard.ps pt-br-refcard.ps ru-refcard.ps sk-refcard.ps

! dired-refcards: dired-ref.ps cs-dired-ref.ps fr-drdref.ps sk-dired-ref.ps

  ## No PS files: vipcard.tex viperCard.tex survival.tex sk-survival.tex
! misc-refcards: calccard.ps gnus-booklet.ps gnus-refcard.ps orgcard.ps

  ## Following PS files are not included with Emacs.
! survival-cards: survival.ps cs-survival.ps sk-survival.ps

! viper-cards: vipcard.ps viperCard.ps

  ## dvi files.
--- 27,49 ----
  all: refcards dired-refcards misc-refcards

! REFCARDS = refcard.ps cs-refcard.ps de-refcard.ps fr-refcard.ps \
            pl-refcard.ps pt-br-refcard.ps ru-refcard.ps sk-refcard.ps
+ refcards: ${REFCARDS} ${REFCARDS:.ps=.pdf}

! DIRED-REFCARDS = dired-ref.ps cs-dired-ref.ps fr-drdref.ps sk-dired-ref.ps
! dired-refcards: ${DIRED-REFCARDS} ${DIRED-REFCARDS:.ps=.pdf}

  ## No PS files: vipcard.tex viperCard.tex survival.tex sk-survival.tex
! MISC-REFCARDS = calccard.ps gnus-booklet.ps gnus-refcard.ps orgcard.ps
! misc-refcards: ${MISC-REFCARDS} ${MISC-REFCARDS:.ps=.pdf}

  ## Following PS files are not included with Emacs.
! SURVIVAL-CARDS = survival.ps cs-survival.ps sk-survival.ps
! survival-cards: ${SURVIVAL-CARDS} ${SURVIVAL-CARDS:.ps=.pdf}

! VIPER-CARDS = vipcard.ps viperCard.ps
! viper-cards: ${VIPER-CARDS} ${VIPER-CARDS:.ps=.pdf}

  ## dvi files.
***************
*** 93,98 ****
--- 98,112 ----
  	dvips -t letter $< -o $@

+ ## PDF files.
+
+ ## dvipdf uses dvips to create the PDF file, so use directly
+ ## GhostScript's ps2pdf.
+
+ ${REFCARDS:.ps=.pdf} ${DIRED-REFCARDS:.ps=.pdf} ${MISC-REFCARDS:.ps=.pdf} \
+ ${SURVIVAL-CARDS:.ps=.pdf} ${VIPER-CARDS:.ps=.pdf}: %.pdf: %.ps
+ 	ps2pdf $< $@
+
  .PHONY: mostlyclean clean distclean maintainer-clean unlock relock

  mostlyclean:

[-- Attachment #1.1.3: Type: text/plain, Size: 462 bytes --]

So ?

> There's no reason to convert ps-prin0.ps and ps-prin1.ps to PDF.

They weren't in the count, sorry I didn't mention it.

--
 |   Michaël `Micha' Cadilhac       |       One user is enough.              |
 |   http://michael.cadilhac.name   |    People suck.                        |

@ 2007-08-13  1:48             ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2007-08-13  1:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michaël Cadilhac; +Cc: emacs-devel

> I'd go for a patch like the following :

I'd much rather we use pdftex than ps2pdf so as not to go
through PostScript.

* Re: How are Windows users supposed to print the PostScript refcards?
@ 2007-08-13  7:48       ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2007-08-13  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

Chong Yidong wrote:

> How about deleting the postscript files and replacing them with the
> pdfs? After all, a few MB here, a few MB there, and soon we're
> talking about real memory.

Another vote for this.

* Re: How are Windows users supposed to print the PostScript refcards?
@ 2007-08-13 10:56               ` Michaël Cadilhac
From: Michaël Cadilhac @ 2007-08-13 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

>> I'd go for a patch like the following :
>
> I'd much rather we use pdftex than ps2pdf so as not to go
> through PostScript.

Well, it means that we have to modify each .tex file to use proper
\pdfpagewidth and \pdfpageheight (surrounded by tests for « Are we
outputing it PDF »), or use the package geometry for the few LaTeX
files.  It's another task, for sure.

I'd give it a try if the final decision is to remove the .ps files.

I was proposing the previous patch because I'd prefer keep them.

Are we waiting for the poll to end or for a decision from RMS ?

--
 |   Michaël `Micha' Cadilhac       |  21 seems like a good value: half of   |
 |   http://michael.cadilhac.name   |  of 42 and just old enough to drink!   |

@ 2007-08-16 10:04                 ` Michaël Cadilhac
From: Michaël Cadilhac @ 2007-08-16 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-devel

michael@cadilhac.name (Michaël Cadilhac) writes:

>>> I'd go for a patch like the following :
>>
>> I'd much rather we use pdftex than ps2pdf so as not to go
>> through PostScript.
>
> Well, it means that we have to modify each .tex file to use proper
> \pdfpagewidth and \pdfpageheight (surrounded by tests for « Are we
> outputing it PDF »), or use the package geometry for the few LaTeX
> files.  It's another task, for sure.
>
> I'd give it a try if the final decision is to remove the .ps files.
>
> I was proposing the previous patch because I'd prefer keep them.
>
> Are we waiting for the poll to end or for a decision from RMS ?

Richard, do you have any preference?

--

@ 2007-08-17  0:32                   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-08-17  0:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michaël Cadilhac; +Cc: emacs-devel

Sorry, I have no opinion about this.
I don't know a lot about support for PS or PDF on various systems.

I suggest this heuristic: if neither one of the formats has a clear
advantage in portability, pick the one that is most convenient on
GNU/Linux.

* Re: How are Windows users supposed to print the PostScript refcards?
@ 2007-08-17  8:35                     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2007-08-17  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Stallman; +Cc: Michaël Cadilhac, emacs-devel

On Fri, Aug 17 2007, Richard Stallman wrote:

> Sorry, I have no opinion about this.
> I don't know a lot about support for PS or PDF on various systems.
>
> I suggest this heuristic: if neither one of the formats has a clear
> advantage in portability, pick the one that is most convenient on
> GNU/Linux.

How about adding PDF versions now for 22.2+ and the trunk now and
decide about removing PS before releasing Emacs 23.1 (adding a note in
the Makefile or FOR-RELEASE?

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,

@ 2007-08-17  8:57                       ` Michaël Cadilhac
From: Michaël Cadilhac @ 2007-08-17  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Stallman; +Cc: emacs-devel

> On Fri, Aug 17 2007, Richard Stallman wrote:
>
>> Sorry, I have no opinion about this.
>> I don't know a lot about support for PS or PDF on various systems.
>>
>> I suggest this heuristic: if neither one of the formats has a clear
>> advantage in portability, pick the one that is most convenient on
>> GNU/Linux.
>
> How about adding PDF versions now for 22.2+ and the trunk now and
> decide about removing PS before releasing Emacs 23.1 (adding a note in
> the Makefile or FOR-RELEASE?

This is fine with me.  I think the NEWS file should contain a word
like :

** PDF files for the refcards and other cards are now shipped by
   default.  We plan to remove the PS files in a near future (23.1).

--
 |   Michaël `Micha' Cadilhac       |  I cannot reproduce this bug,          |
 |   http://michael.cadilhac.name   |    but I have installed a change       |

@ 2007-08-17 20:17                       ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-08-17 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Reiner Steib; +Cc: michael, emacs-devel

    How about adding PDF versions now for 22.2+ and the trunk now and
    decide about removing PS before releasing Emacs 23.1 (adding a note in
    the Makefile or FOR-RELEASE?

I have no strong feelings about the matter
so I won't object.

* Re: How are Windows users supposed to print the PostScript refcards?
@ 2007-08-19  9:24                         ` Michaël Cadilhac
From: Michaël Cadilhac @ 2007-08-19  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

michael@cadilhac.name (Michaël Cadilhac) writes:

> Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> writes:
>
>> On Fri, Aug 17 2007, Richard Stallman wrote:
>>
>>> Sorry, I have no opinion about this.
>>> I don't know a lot about support for PS or PDF on various systems.
>>>
>>> I suggest this heuristic: if neither one of the formats has a clear
>>> advantage in portability, pick the one that is most convenient on
>>> GNU/Linux.
>>
>> How about adding PDF versions now for 22.2+ and the trunk now and
>> decide about removing PS before releasing Emacs 23.1 (adding a note in
>> the Makefile or FOR-RELEASE?
>
> This is fine with me.  I think the NEWS file should contain a word
> like :
>
> ** PDF files for the refcards and other cards are now shipped by
>    default.  We plan to remove the PS files in a near future (23.1).

So nobody objected. If nobody does before EOD (End Of Day), I'll install
the Makefile change.

BTW, I tried to do the change to the .tex files to use pdftex (for the
future), with an annex file like the following :

\input ifpdf.sty

\ifpdf
  \def\pdflayout=(#1#2){
    \if0#1 % A4
      \pdfpagewidth=21cm
      \pdfpageheight=29.7cm
    \else\if1#1 % Letter
      \pdfpagewidth=8.5in
      \pdfpageheight=11in
    \fi\fi
    \if l#2 % Landscape
      \edef\oldwidth{\the\pdfpagewidth}
      \pdfpagewidth=\pdfpageheight
      \pdfpageheight=\oldwidth
    \fi
  }
\else
  \def\pdflayout=(#1#2){}
\fi

but I was unable to find the `csplain' binary file, so I couldn't test
my try for all .tex files.  Does someone have this file and know if
there's a cspdfplain ?

--
 |   Michaël `Micha' Cadilhac       |  All your base are belong to us.       |
 |   http://michael.cadilhac.name   |    You have no chance to survive       |

@ 2007-08-19 10:28                           ` Sven Joachim
From: Sven Joachim @ 2007-08-19 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michaël Cadilhac; +Cc: emacs-devel

michael@cadilhac.name (Michaël Cadilhac) writes:

> BTW, I tried to do the change to the .tex files to use pdftex (for the
> future), with an annex file like the following :
>
> \input ifpdf.sty
>
> \ifpdf
>   \def\pdflayout=(#1#2){
>     \if0#1 % A4
>       \pdfpagewidth=21cm
>       \pdfpageheight=29.7cm
>     \else\if1#1 % Letter
>       \pdfpagewidth=8.5in
>       \pdfpageheight=11in
>     \fi\fi
>     \if l#2 % Landscape
>       \edef\oldwidth{\the\pdfpagewidth}
>       \pdfpagewidth=\pdfpageheight
>       \pdfpageheight=\oldwidth
>     \fi
>   }
> \else
>   \def\pdflayout=(#1#2){}
> \fi
>

> but I was unable to find the `csplain' binary file, so I couldn't test
> my try for all .tex files.  Does someone have this file and know if
> there's a cspdfplain ?

According to
http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/help/Catalogue/entries/csplain.html,
csplain is included in both TeX Live and teTeX.

Under Debian, you need the texlive-lang-czechslovak package, in which
there is a symlink /usr/bin/pdfcsplain -> pdftex.

* Re: How are Windows users supposed to print the PostScript refcards?
@ 2007-08-19 16:14                             ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2007-08-19 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Joachim; +Cc: Michaël Cadilhac, emacs-devel

On Sun, Aug 19 2007, Sven Joachim wrote:

> Under Debian, you need the texlive-lang-czechslovak package, in which
> there is a symlink /usr/bin/pdfcsplain -> pdftex.

"pdfcsplain sk-refcard" produces DVI output on my system (openSUSE
10.2, teTeX 3.0).  pdfcsplain is a shell script which calls "pdfetex
-progname=pdfcsplain -default-translate-file=il2-cs" here.

For PDF, "pdfcsplain '\pdfoutput=1\input sk-refcard'" or "csplain
'\pdfoutput=1\input sk-refcard'" work here.

WRT to Michaël's previous patch...

-refcards: refcard.ps cs-refcard.ps de-refcard.ps fr-refcard.ps \
+REFCARDS = refcard.ps cs-refcard.ps de-refcard.ps fr-refcard.ps \
           pl-refcard.ps pt-br-refcard.ps ru-refcard.ps sk-refcard.ps
+refcards: ${REFCARDS} ${REFCARDS:.ps=.pdf}

... I'd suggest "refcards_ps" and "refcards_pdf" instead of "refcards"
and "REFCARDS".

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,

@ 2007-08-20  2:18                       ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2007-08-20  2:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Stallman; +Cc: Michaël Cadilhac, emacs-devel

Reiner Steib wrote:

> How about adding PDF versions now for 22.2+ and the trunk now and
> decide about removing PS before releasing Emacs 23.1 (adding a note in
> the Makefile or FOR-RELEASE?

Personally I think that's a waste of time and disk space. I would just
change them all to pdf now and be done with it. Some of them never had
any ps version in CVS at all, just the tex, and no-one ever
complained, AFAIK. pdf is better for Windows and Mac (AFAIK), and any
sane GNU/Linux system can handle pdf or tex just fine.

* Re: How are Windows users supposed to print the PostScript refcards?
@ 2007-08-20  4:18                         ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2007-08-20  4:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> writes:
> Personally I think that's a waste of time and disk space. I would just
> change them all to pdf now and be done with it. Some of them never had
> any ps version in CVS at all, just the tex, and no-one ever
> complained, AFAIK. pdf is better for Windows and Mac (AFAIK), and any
> sane GNU/Linux system can handle pdf or tex just fine.

I think in many cases PDFs are better supported than postscript on
GNU/Linux too.  Postscript is a lovely and elegant language, but it's
pretty clear where the development effort is going these days...

-Miles

--
We are all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
-Oscar Wilde

* Re: How are Windows users supposed to print the PostScript refcards?
@ 2007-08-20  9:58                         ` Michaël Cadilhac
From: Michaël Cadilhac @ 2007-08-20  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: emacs-devel

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 652 bytes --]

Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> writes:

> Reiner Steib wrote:
>
>> How about adding PDF versions now for 22.2+ and the trunk now and
>> decide about removing PS before releasing Emacs 23.1 (adding a note in
>> the Makefile or FOR-RELEASE?
>
> Personally I think that's a waste of time and disk space.

It seems that I'm the only one here willing to keep the PS files :-)
Well, I had a longish discussion with some of my geek friends, and they
all agreed that PS should be removed, the sooner the better.

Thus, well, so be it.

The patch is somewhat longer, but it's the cost to pay to have a shiny
PDF-compliant distribution, I think.

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: pdf-etc.diff --]

*** /dev/null	2006-08-03 17:37:27.000000000 +0200
--- pdflayout.sty	2007-08-20 10:51:42.000000000 +0200
***************
*** 0 ****
--- 1,47 ----
+ % Copyright (C) 2007  Free Software Foundation, Inc.
+
+ % This file is part of GNU Emacs.
+
+ % GNU Emacs is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
+ % it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
+ % the Free Software Foundation; either version 3, or (at your option)
+ % any later version.
+
+ % GNU Emacs is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
+ % but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
+ % MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
+ % GNU General Public License for more details.
+
+ % You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
+ % along with GNU Emacs; see the file COPYING.  If not, write to
+ % the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor,
+ % Boston, MA 02110-1301, USA.
+
+ % This file defines `\pdflayout':
+ %  - \pdflayout=(0) is A4 portrait,
+ %  - \pdflayout=(1) is letter (US) portrait,
+ %  - \pdflayout=(0l) is A4 landscape.
+ %  - \pdflayout=(1l) is letter (US) landscape,
+
+ \input ifpdf.sty
+
+ \ifpdf
+   \def\pdflayout=(#1#2){
+     \if0#1 % A4
+       \pdfpagewidth=21cm
+       \pdfpageheight=29.7cm
+     \else\if1#1 % Letter
+       \pdfpagewidth=8.5in
+       \pdfpageheight=11in
+     \fi\fi
+     \if l#2 % Landscape
+       \edef\oldwidth{\the\pdfpagewidth}
+       \pdfpagewidth=\pdfpageheight
+       \pdfpageheight=\oldwidth
+     \fi
+   }
+ \else
+   \def\pdflayout=(#1#2){}
+ \fi
+
+ % archtag: 63c938a5-cc78-4964-962d-603c90d34afc
Index: calccard.tex
RCS file: /sources/emacs/emacs/etc/calccard.tex,v
retrieving revision 1.11
diff -c -r1.11 calccard.tex
*** calccard.tex	26 Jul 2007 05:26:04 -0000	1.11
--- calccard.tex	20 Aug 2007 09:58:26 -0000
***************
*** 6,15 ****
  % card version 1.9, by Stephen Gildea.

  % This file can be printed with 1, 2, or 3 columns per page (see below).
! % Specify how many you want here.  Nothing else needs to be changed.

  \columnsperpage=3

  % Typical command to format:  tex calccard.tex
  % Typical command to print (3 cols):  dvips -t landscape calccard.dvi

--- 6,22 ----
  % card version 1.9, by Stephen Gildea.

  % This file can be printed with 1, 2, or 3 columns per page (see below).
! % Specify how many you want here.

  \columnsperpage=3

+ % PDF output layout.  0 for A4, 1 for letter (US), a `l' is added for
+ % a landscape layout.
+
+ \input pdflayout.sty
+ \pdflayout=(1l)
+
+ % Nothing else needs to be changed.
  % Typical command to format:  tex calccard.tex
  % Typical command to print (3 cols):  dvips -t landscape calccard.dvi

***************
*** 666,672 ****
  \bye
  \f
  % Local variables:
! % compile-command: "tex calccard"
  % End:

  % arch-tag: a2764f34-ec23-4083-bd5c-53f9e70a5da9
--- 673,679 ----
  \bye
  \f
  % Local variables:
! % compile-command: "pdftex calccard"
  % End:

  % arch-tag: a2764f34-ec23-4083-bd5c-53f9e70a5da9
Index: cs-dired-ref.tex
RCS file: /sources/emacs/emacs/etc/cs-dired-ref.tex,v
retrieving revision 1.12
diff -c -r1.12 cs-dired-ref.tex
*** cs-dired-ref.tex	26 Jul 2007 05:26:05 -0000	1.12
--- cs-dired-ref.tex	20 Aug 2007 09:58:26 -0000
***************
*** 23,35 ****
  % Boston, MA 02110-1301, USA.

  % This file can be printed with 1, 2, or 3 columns per page (see below).
! % Specify how many you want here.  Nothing else needs to be changed.
  %**start of header

  \newcount\columnsperpage

  \columnsperpage=2

  % This file is intended to be processed by plain TeX (TeX82).
  % The reference card looks OK with 2 columns per page, portrait mode.
  % I haven't tried it with 3 columns per page.
--- 23,42 ----
  % Boston, MA 02110-1301, USA.

  % This file can be printed with 1, 2, or 3 columns per page (see below).
! % Specify how many you want here.
  %**start of header

  \newcount\columnsperpage

  \columnsperpage=2

+ % PDF output layout.  0 for A4, 1 for letter (US), a `l' is added for
+ % a landscape layout.
+
+ \input pdflayout.sty
+ \pdflayout=(0)
+
+ % Nothing else needs to be changed.
  % This file is intended to be processed by plain TeX (TeX82).
  % The reference card looks OK with 2 columns per page, portrait mode.
  % I haven't tried it with 3 columns per page.
Index: cs-refcard.tex
RCS file: /sources/emacs/emacs/etc/cs-refcard.tex,v
retrieving revision 1.16
diff -c -r1.16 cs-refcard.tex
*** cs-refcard.tex	26 Jul 2007 05:26:05 -0000	1.16
--- cs-refcard.tex	20 Aug 2007 09:58:26 -0000
***************
*** 7,16 ****
  \newcount\columnsperpage

  % This file can be printed with 1, 2, or 3 columns per page (see below).
! % Specify how many you want here.  Nothing else needs to be changed.

  \columnsperpage=1

  % Copyright (C) 1987, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004,
  %   2005, 2006, 2007  Free Software Foundation, Inc.

--- 7,23 ----
  \newcount\columnsperpage

  % This file can be printed with 1, 2, or 3 columns per page (see below).
! % Specify how many you want here.

  \columnsperpage=1

+ % PDF output layout.  0 for A4, 1 for letter (US), a `l' is added for
+ % a landscape layout.
+
+ \input pdflayout.sty
+ \pdflayout=(0)
+
+ % Nothing else needs to be changed.
  % Copyright (C) 1987, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004,
  %   2005, 2006, 2007  Free Software Foundation, Inc.

Index: cs-survival.tex
RCS file: /sources/emacs/emacs/etc/cs-survival.tex,v
retrieving revision 1.9
diff -c -r1.9 cs-survival.tex
*** cs-survival.tex	26 Jul 2007 05:26:05 -0000	1.9
--- cs-survival.tex	20 Aug 2007 09:58:26 -0000
***************
*** 21,26 ****
--- 21,32 ----
    \endinput
  \fi

+ % PDF output layout.  0 for A4, 1 for letter (US), a `l' is added for
+ % a landscape layout.
+
+ \input pdflayout.sty
+ \pdflayout=(0)
+
  % Copyright (C) 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005,
  %   2006, 2007  Free Software Foundation, Inc.

Index: de-refcard.tex
RCS file: /sources/emacs/emacs/etc/de-refcard.tex,v
retrieving revision 1.12
diff -c -r1.12 de-refcard.tex
*** de-refcard.tex	26 Jul 2007 05:26:05 -0000	1.12
--- de-refcard.tex	20 Aug 2007 09:58:27 -0000
***************
*** 4,20 ****
  %
  %**start of header
  \newcount\columnsperpage
- \newcount\letterpaper

  % This file can be printed with 1, 2, or 3 columns per page (see below).
  % Specify how many you want here.

  \columnsperpage=3

! % Set letterpaper to 0 for A4 paper, 1 for letter (US) paper.  Useful
! % only when columnsperpage is 2 or 3.

! \letterpaper=0

  % If you don't have german.sty, you can either get it from CTAN or
  % change the \glqq and \grqq commands below.
--- 4,20 ----
  %
  %**start of header
  \newcount\columnsperpage

  % This file can be printed with 1, 2, or 3 columns per page (see below).
  % Specify how many you want here.

  \columnsperpage=3

! % PDF output layout.  0 for A4, 1 for letter (US), a `l' is added for
! % a landscape layout.

! \input pdflayout.sty
! \pdflayout=(0l)

  % If you don't have german.sty, you can either get it from CTAN or
  % change the \glqq and \grqq commands below.
***************
*** 689,695 ****
  \bye
  \f
  % Local variables:
! % compile-command: "tex de-refcard"
  % End:

  % arch-tag: af0a2666-f289-49f1-a9cc-cedab9783314
--- 689,695 ----
  \bye
  \f
  % Local variables:
! % compile-command: "pdftex de-refcard"
  % End:

  % arch-tag: af0a2666-f289-49f1-a9cc-cedab9783314
Index: dired-ref.tex
RCS file: /sources/emacs/emacs/etc/dired-ref.tex,v
retrieving revision 1.14
diff -c -r1.14 dired-ref.tex
*** dired-ref.tex	26 Jul 2007 05:26:05 -0000	1.14
--- dired-ref.tex	20 Aug 2007 09:58:27 -0000
***************
*** 20,32 ****
  % Boston, MA 02110-1301, USA.

  % This file can be printed with 1, 2, or 3 columns per page (see below).
! % Specify how many you want here.  Nothing else needs to be changed.
  %**start of header

  \newcount\columnsperpage

  \columnsperpage=2

  % This file is intended to be processed by plain TeX (TeX82).
  % The reference card looks OK with 2 columns per page, portrait mode.
  % I haven't tried it with 3 columns per page.
--- 20,39 ----
  % Boston, MA 02110-1301, USA.

  % This file can be printed with 1, 2, or 3 columns per page (see below).
! % Specify how many you want here.
  %**start of header

  \newcount\columnsperpage

  \columnsperpage=2

+ % PDF output layout.  0 for A4, 1 for letter (US), a `l' is added for
+ % a landscape layout.
+
+ \input pdflayout.sty
+ \pdflayout=(0)
+
+ % Nothing else needs to be changed.
  % This file is intended to be processed by plain TeX (TeX82).
  % The reference card looks OK with 2 columns per page, portrait mode.
  % I haven't tried it with 3 columns per page.
Index: fr-drdref.tex
RCS file: /sources/emacs/emacs/etc/fr-drdref.tex,v
retrieving revision 1.12
diff -c -r1.12 fr-drdref.tex
*** fr-drdref.tex	26 Jul 2007 05:26:05 -0000	1.12
--- fr-drdref.tex	20 Aug 2007 09:58:27 -0000
***************
*** 20,32 ****
  % Boston, MA 02110-1301, USA.

[...]

Index: fr-refcard.tex
RCS file: /sources/emacs/emacs/etc/fr-refcard.tex,v
retrieving revision 1.19
diff -c -r1.19 fr-refcard.tex
*** fr-refcard.tex	26 Jul 2007 05:26:05 -0000	1.19
--- fr-refcard.tex	20 Aug 2007 09:58:27 -0000
***************
*** 1,17 ****
  % Reference Card for GNU Emacs version 22 on Unix systems
  %**start of header
  \newcount\columnsperpage
- \newcount\letterpaper

  % This file can be printed with 1, 2, or 3 columns per page (see below).
  % Specify how many you want here.

  \columnsperpage=3

! % Set letterpaper to 0 for A4 paper, 1 for letter (US) paper.  Useful
! % only when columnsperpage is 2 or 3.

! \letterpaper=0

  % Nothing else needs to be changed below this line.
  % Copyright (C) 1987, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004,
--- 1,17 ----
  % Reference Card for GNU Emacs version 22 on Unix systems
  %**start of header
  \newcount\columnsperpage

  % This file can be printed with 1, 2, or 3 columns per page (see below).
  % Specify how many you want here.

  \columnsperpage=3

! % PDF output layout.  0 for A4, 1 for Letter (US), a `l' is added for
! % a landscape layout.

! \input pdflayout.sty
! \pdflayout=(0l)

  % Nothing else needs to be changed below this line.
  % Copyright (C) 1987, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004,
***************
*** 308,314 ****
  \key{D\'ecrire une fonction}{C-h f}
  \key{Obtenir des informations relatives au mode}{C-h m}

! \section{R\'ecup\'eration sur erreurs}

  \key{{\bf Abandonner} une commande}{C-g}
  \metax{{\bf R\'ecup\'erer} les fichiers apr\`es un crash}{M-x recover-session}
--- 308,314 ----
  \key{D\'ecrire une fonction}{C-h f}
  \key{Obtenir des informations relatives au mode}{C-h m}

! \section{R\'ecup\'eration sur erreur}

  \key{{\bf Abandonner} une commande}{C-g}
  \metax{{\bf R\'ecup\'erer} les fichiers apr\`es un crash}{M-x recover-session}
***************
*** 683,689 ****
  \bye
  \f
  % Local variables:
! % compile-command: "tex fr-refcard"
  % End:

  % arch-tag: 39d6dc6e-1a4a-4071-84db-4719d4e9e40d
--- 683,689 ----
  \bye
  \f
  % Local variables:
! % compile-command: "pdftex fr-refcard"
  % End:

  % arch-tag: 39d6dc6e-1a4a-4071-84db-4719d4e9e40d
Index: fr-survival.tex
RCS file: /sources/emacs/emacs/etc/fr-survival.tex,v
retrieving revision 1.9
diff -c -r1.9 fr-survival.tex
*** fr-survival.tex	26 Jul 2007 05:26:05 -0000	1.9
--- fr-survival.tex	20 Aug 2007 09:58:27 -0000
***************
*** 22,27 ****
--- 22,33 ----
    \endinput
  \fi

+ % PDF output layout.  0 for A4, 1 for letter (US), a `l' is added for
+ % a landscape layout.
+
+ \input pdflayout.sty
+ \pdflayout=(0)
+
  % Copyright (C) 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005,
  %   2006, 2007  Free Software Foundation, Inc.

***************
*** 413,419 ****
  \bye
  \f
  % Local variables:
! % compile-command: "tex survival"
  % End:

  % arch-tag: 2fb4e93f-8bfa-4ab4-bc6d-b475131d766a
--- 419,425 ----
  \bye
  \f
  % Local variables:
! % compile-command: "pdftex survival"
  % End:

  % arch-tag: 2fb4e93f-8bfa-4ab4-bc6d-b475131d766a
Index: orgcard.tex
RCS file: /sources/emacs/emacs/etc/orgcard.tex,v
retrieving revision 1.63
diff -c -r1.63 orgcard.tex
*** orgcard.tex	26 Jul 2007 05:26:06 -0000	1.63
--- orgcard.tex	20 Aug 2007 09:58:28 -0000
***************
*** 12,22 ****

  \columnsperpage=3

! % Set letterpapaer to 0 for A4 paper, 1 for letter (US) paper.  Useful

--- 12,28 ----

  \columnsperpage=3

! % Set letterpaper to 0 for A4 paper, 1 for letter (US) paper.  Useful
  % only when columnsperpage is 2 or 3.

  \letterpaper=0

+ % PDF output layout.  0 for A4, 1 for letter (US), a `l' is added for
+ % a landscape layout.
+
+ \input pdflayout.sty
+ \pdflayout=(0l)
+
  % Nothing else needs to be changed below this line.
  % Copyright (C) 1987, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004,
  %   2005, 2006, 2007  Free Software Foundation, Inc.
***************
*** 775,781 ****
  \bye
  \f
  % Local variables:
! % compile-command: "tex refcard"
  % End:

  % arch-tag: 139f6750-5cfc-49ca-92b5-237fe5795290
--- 781,787 ----
  \bye
  \f
  % Local variables:
! % compile-command: "pdftex refcard"
  % End:

  % arch-tag: 139f6750-5cfc-49ca-92b5-237fe5795290
Index: pl-refcard.tex
RCS file: /sources/emacs/emacs/etc/pl-refcard.tex,v
retrieving revision 1.14
diff -c -r1.14 pl-refcard.tex
*** pl-refcard.tex	26 Jul 2007 05:26:06 -0000	1.14
--- pl-refcard.tex	20 Aug 2007 09:58:29 -0000
***************
*** 28,37 ****
  \newcount\columnsperpage

  % This file can be printed with 1, or 2 columns per page (see below).
! % Specify how many you want here.  Nothing else needs to be changed.

  \columnsperpage=2

  % Copyright (C) 1999, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005,
  %   2006, 2007  Free Software Foundation, Inc.

--- 28,44 ----
  \newcount\columnsperpage

  % This file can be printed with 1, or 2 columns per page (see below).
! % Specify how many you want here.

  \columnsperpage=2

+ % PDF output layout.  0 for A4, 1 for letter (US), a `l' is added for
+ % a landscape layout.
+
+ \input pdflayout.sty
+ \pdflayout=(0)
+
+ % Nothing else needs to be changed.
  % Copyright (C) 1999, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005,
  %   2006, 2007  Free Software Foundation, Inc.

***************
*** 995,1001 ****
  \bye
  \f
  % Local variables:
! % compile-command: "tex pl-refcard"
  % End:

  % arch-tag: 19d15a16-70be-40c8-ad91-88899aac32a9
--- 1002,1008 ----
  \bye
  \f
  % Local variables:
! % compile-command: "pdftex pl-refcard"
  % End:

  % arch-tag: 19d15a16-70be-40c8-ad91-88899aac32a9
Index: pt-br-refcard.tex
RCS file: /sources/emacs/emacs/etc/pt-br-refcard.tex,v
retrieving revision 1.8
diff -c -r1.8 pt-br-refcard.tex
*** pt-br-refcard.tex	26 Jul 2007 05:26:06 -0000	1.8
--- pt-br-refcard.tex	20 Aug 2007 09:58:29 -0000
***************
*** 8,18 ****

  \columnsperpage=3

! % Set letterpapaer to 0 for A4 paper, 1 for letter (US) paper.  Useful
  % only when columnsperpage is 2 or 3.

  \letterpaper=0

  % Nothing else needs to be changed below this line.
  % Copyright (C) 1987, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004,
  %   2006, 2007  Free Software Foundation, Inc.
--- 8,24 ----

  \columnsperpage=3

! % Set letterpaper to 0 for A4 paper, 1 for letter (US) paper.  Useful
  % only when columnsperpage is 2 or 3.

  \letterpaper=0

+ % PDF output layout.  0 for A4, 1 for letter (US), a `l' is added for
+ % a landscape layout.
+
+ \input pdflayout.sty
+ \pdflayout=(0l)
+
  % Nothing else needs to be changed below this line.
  % Copyright (C) 1987, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004,
  %   2006, 2007  Free Software Foundation, Inc.
***************
*** 681,687 ****
  \bye
  \f
  % Local variables:
! % compile-command: "tex pt-br-refcard"
  % coding: iso-latin-1
  % End:

--- 687,693 ----
  \bye
  \f
  % Local variables:
! % compile-command: "pdftex pt-br-refcard"
  % coding: iso-latin-1
  % End:

Index: refcard.tex
RCS file: /sources/emacs/emacs/etc/refcard.tex,v
retrieving revision 1.17
diff -c -r1.17 refcard.tex
*** refcard.tex	26 Jul 2007 05:26:06 -0000	1.17
--- refcard.tex	20 Aug 2007 09:58:29 -0000
***************
*** 8,18 ****

  \columnsperpage=3

! % Set letterpapaer to 0 for A4 paper, 1 for letter (US) paper.  Useful
  % only when columnsperpage is 2 or 3.

  \letterpaper=1

[...]

  % arch-tag: d67bdf5d-b77c-44eb-a22e-f4f7d25174d2
--- 679,685 ----
  \bye
  \f
  % Local variables:
! % compile-command: "pdftex refcard"
  % End:

  % arch-tag: d67bdf5d-b77c-44eb-a22e-f4f7d25174d2
Index: ru-refcard.tex
RCS file: /sources/emacs/emacs/etc/ru-refcard.tex,v
retrieving revision 1.12
diff -c -r1.12 ru-refcard.tex
*** ru-refcard.tex	20 Jan 2007 23:25:56 -0000	1.12
--- ru-refcard.tex	20 Aug 2007 09:58:30 -0000
***************
*** 518,524 ****
  \end{document}
  \f
  % Local variables:
! % compile-command: "latex ru-refcard"
  % coding: cyrillic-koi8
  % End:

--- 518,524 ----
  \end{document}
  \f
  % Local variables:
! % compile-command: "pdflatex ru-refcard"
  % coding: cyrillic-koi8
  % End:

Index: sk-dired-ref.tex
RCS file: /sources/emacs/emacs/etc/sk-dired-ref.tex,v
retrieving revision 1.13
diff -c -r1.13 sk-dired-ref.tex
*** sk-dired-ref.tex	26 Jul 2007 05:26:06 -0000	1.13
--- sk-dired-ref.tex	20 Aug 2007 09:58:30 -0000
***************
*** 23,35 ****
  % Boston, MA 02110-1301, USA.

[...]

Index: sk-refcard.tex
RCS file: /sources/emacs/emacs/etc/sk-refcard.tex,v
retrieving revision 1.16
diff -c -r1.16 sk-refcard.tex
*** sk-refcard.tex	26 Jul 2007 05:26:06 -0000	1.16
--- sk-refcard.tex	20 Aug 2007 09:58:30 -0000
***************
*** 7,16 ****
  \newcount\columnsperpage

[...]

Index: sk-survival.tex
RCS file: /sources/emacs/emacs/etc/sk-survival.tex,v
retrieving revision 1.10
diff -c -r1.10 sk-survival.tex
*** sk-survival.tex	26 Jul 2007 05:26:06 -0000	1.10
--- sk-survival.tex	20 Aug 2007 09:58:30 -0000
***************
*** 21,26 ****
--- 21,32 ----
    \endinput
  \fi

+ % PDF output layout.  0 for A4, 1 for letter (US), a `l' is added for
+ % a landscape layout.
+
+ \input pdflayout.sty
+ \pdflayout=(0)
+
  % Copyright (C) 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005,
  %   2006, 2007  Free Software Foundation, Inc.

Index: survival.tex
RCS file: /sources/emacs/emacs/etc/survival.tex,v
retrieving revision 1.9
diff -c -r1.9 survival.tex
*** survival.tex	26 Jul 2007 05:26:06 -0000	1.9
--- survival.tex	20 Aug 2007 09:58:30 -0000
***************
*** 25,30 ****
--- 25,36 ----
    \endinput
  \fi

*** 410,416 ****
  \bye
  \f
  % Local variables:
! % compile-command: "tex survival"
  % End:

  % arch-tag: 4f9a0562-617b-4843-aee1-450c41d6b22c
--- 416,422 ----
  \bye
  \f
  % Local variables:
! % compile-command: "pdftex survival"
  % End:

  % arch-tag: 4f9a0562-617b-4843-aee1-450c41d6b22c
Index: vipcard.tex
RCS file: /sources/emacs/emacs/etc/vipcard.tex,v
retrieving revision 1.9
diff -c -r1.9 vipcard.tex
*** vipcard.tex	30 Jul 2007 05:33:27 -0000	1.9
--- vipcard.tex	20 Aug 2007 09:58:31 -0000
***************
*** 3,12 ****
  \newcount\columnsperpage

  % This file can be printed with 1, 2, or 3 columns per page (see below).
! % Specify how many you want here.  Nothing else needs to be changed.

  \columnsperpage=1

  % Copyright (C) 1987, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005,
  %   2006, 2007  Free Software Foundation, Inc.

--- 3,19 ----
  \newcount\columnsperpage

*** 678,684 ****
  \bye
  \f
  % Local variables:
! % compile-command: "tex refcard"
  % End:

  % arch-tag: 342a9548-4de4-499d-b864-74fb426b6729
--- 685,691 ----
  \bye
  \f
  % Local variables:
! % compile-command: "pdftex vipcard"
  % End:

  % arch-tag: 342a9548-4de4-499d-b864-74fb426b6729
Index: viperCard.tex
RCS file: /sources/emacs/emacs/etc/viperCard.tex,v
retrieving revision 1.10
diff -c -r1.10 viperCard.tex
*** viperCard.tex	30 Jul 2007 05:33:27 -0000	1.10
--- viperCard.tex	20 Aug 2007 09:58:31 -0000
***************
*** 3,12 ****
  \newcount\columnsperpage

  % This file can be printed with 1 or 2 columns per page (see below).
! % Specify how many you want here.  Nothing else needs to be changed.

  \columnsperpage=2

  % Copyright (C) 1995, 1996, 1997, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004,
  %   2005, 2006, 2007  Free Software Foundation, Inc.

--- 3,19 ----
  \newcount\columnsperpage

  % This file can be printed with 1 or 2 columns per page (see below).
! % Specify how many you want here.

  \columnsperpage=2

+ % PDF output layout.  0 for A4, 1 for letter (US), a `l' is added for
+ % a landscape layout.
+
+ \input pdflayout.sty
+ \pdflayout=(1)
+
+ % Nothing else needs to be changed.
  % Copyright (C) 1995, 1996, 1997, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004,
  %   2005, 2006, 2007  Free Software Foundation, Inc.

***************
*** 743,749 ****
  \bye
  \f
  % Local variables:
! % compile-command: "tex viperCard"
  % End:

  % arch-tag: e287b45c-4c5e-4bf9-ae28-ead4cd9f68e3
--- 750,756 ----
  \bye
  \f
  % Local variables:
! % compile-command: "pdftex viperCard"
  % End:

  % arch-tag: e287b45c-4c5e-4bf9-ae28-ead4cd9f68e3
Index: Makefile
RCS file: /sources/emacs/emacs/etc/Makefile,v
retrieving revision 1.13
diff -c -r1.13 Makefile
*** Makefile	26 Jul 2007 05:26:03 -0000	1.13
--- Makefile	20 Aug 2007 09:58:31 -0000
***************
*** 23,51 ****

  ## Top-level targets.

! ## PS files included with Emacs.
! all: refcards dired-refcards misc-refcards

! refcards: refcard.ps cs-refcard.ps de-refcard.ps fr-refcard.ps \
!           pl-refcard.ps pt-br-refcard.ps ru-refcard.ps sk-refcard.ps

! dired-refcards: dired-ref.ps cs-dired-ref.ps fr-drdref.ps sk-dired-ref.ps

! ## No PS files: vipcard.tex viperCard.tex survival.tex sk-survival.tex
! misc-refcards: calccard.ps gnus-booklet.ps gnus-refcard.ps orgcard.ps

! ## Following PS files are not included with Emacs.
! survival-cards: survival.ps cs-survival.ps sk-survival.ps

- viper-cards: vipcard.ps viperCard.ps

  ## dvi files.

! ## FIXME the sk-*.tex files say to use csplain, but were not
! ## traditionally in this rule. Fix the doc or the rule.
! cs-refcard.dvi cs-dired-ref.dvi cs-survival.dvi: %.dvi:	%.tex
  	csplain $<

  pl-refcard.dvi: %.dvi: %.tex
--- 23,96 ----

  ## Top-level targets.

! ## PDF files that are included with Emacs.
! all: pdf

+ pdf: refcards_pdf dired-refcards_pdf misc-refcards_pdf

! ps: refcards_ps dired-refcards_ps misc-refcards_ps

! REFCARDS_PDF = refcard.pdf cs-refcard.pdf de-refcard.pdf fr-refcard.pdf \
!             pl-refcard.pdf pt-br-refcard.pdf ru-refcard.pdf sk-refcard.pdf
! refcards_pdf: ${REFCARDS_PDF}
! refcards_ps: ${REFCARDS_PDF:.pdf=.ps}

! DIRED-REFCARDS_PDF = dired-ref.pdf cs-dired-ref.pdf fr-drdref.pdf sk-dired-ref.pdf
! dired-refcards_pdf: ${DIRED-REFCARDS_PDF}
! dired-refcards_ps: ${DIRED-REFCARDS_PDF:.pdf=.ps}

! MISC-REFCARDS_PDF = calccard.pdf gnus-booklet.pdf gnus-refcard.pdf orgcard.pdf
! misc-refcards_pdf: ${MISC-REFCARDS_PDF}
! misc-refcards_ps: ${MISC-REFCARDS_PDF:.pdf=.ps}
!
!
! ## Following files are not included with Emacs.
! SURVIVAL-CARDS_PDF = survival.pdf cs-survival.pdf sk-survival.pdf
! survival-cards_pdf: ${SURVIVAL-CARDS_PDF}
! survival-cards_ps: ${SURVIVAL-CARDS_PDF:.pdf=.ps}
!
! VIPER-CARDS_PDF = vipcard.pdf viperCard.pdf
! viper-cards_pdf: ${VIPER-CARDS_PDF}
! viper-cards_ps: ${VIPER-CARDS_PDF:.pdf=.ps}
!
!
! ## PDF files.
!
! ## The page layout (a4/letter) is written directly in the .tex files.
!
! cs-refcard.pdf cs-dired-ref.pdf cs-survival.pdf sk-refcard.pdf \
! sk-dired-ref.pdf sk-survival.pdf: %.pdf:	%.tex
! 	csplain "\pdfoutput=1\input $<"
!
! pl-refcard.pdf: %.pdf: %.tex
! 	if ! kpsewhich -format=fmt mex > /dev/null; then \
! 	  echo "No mex format found."; false; \
! 	fi
! 	pdftex $<
!
! ru-refcard.pdf: %.pdf: %.tex
! 	pdflatex $<
!
! gnus-logo.pdf: %.pdf: %.eps
! 	ps2pdf $<
!
! gnus-refcard.pdf: %.pdf: %.tex gnus-logo.pdf
! 	pdflatex $<
!
! gnus-booklet.pdf: gnus-refcard.tex gnus-logo.pdf
! 	pdflatex '\def\booklettrue{}\def\letterpapertrue{}\input{gnus-refcard}'
! 	mv gnus-refcard.pdf $@
!
! ## Everything not explicitly listed above.
! %.pdf: %.tex
! 	pdftex $<

  ## dvi files.

! cs-refcard.dvi cs-dired-ref.dvi cs-survival.dvi sk-refcard.dvi \
! sk-dired-ref.dvi sk-survival.dvi: %.dvi:	%.tex
  	csplain $<

  pl-refcard.dvi: %.dvi: %.tex
***************
*** 93,98 ****
--- 138,144 ----
  	dvips -t letter $< -o $@

+
  .PHONY: mostlyclean clean distclean maintainer-clean unlock relock

  mostlyclean:

[-- Attachment #1.1.3: Type: text/plain, Size: 472 bytes --]

It'd be great if some of you with a complete TeX distribution (mine
doesn't have MeX, and pdfcsplain just fails), could test it.

Thanks !

--
 |   Michaël `Micha' Cadilhac       |   An error can become exact            |
 |   http://michael.cadilhac.name   |     as the one who committed it        |

@ 2007-08-23 10:00                           ` Michaël Cadilhac
From: Michaël Cadilhac @ 2007-08-23 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 772 bytes --]

michael@cadilhac.name (Michaël Cadilhac) writes:

> Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> Reiner Steib wrote:
>>
>>> How about adding PDF versions now for 22.2+ and the trunk now and
>>> decide about removing PS before releasing Emacs 23.1 (adding a note in
>>> the Makefile or FOR-RELEASE?
>>
>> Personally I think that's a waste of time and disk space.
>
> It seems that I'm the only one here willing to keep the PS files :-)
> Well, I had a longish discussion with some of my geek friends, and they
> all agreed that PS should be removed, the sooner the better.
>
> Thus, well, so be it.
>
> The patch is somewhat longer, but it's the cost to pay to have a shiny
> PDF-compliant distribution, I think.

Repost with the new etc/ arborescence :

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: pdf-etc.patch --]

[...]
RCS file: /sources/emacs/emacs/etc/refcards/calccard.tex,v
retrieving revision 1.1
diff -c -r1.1 calccard.tex
*** calccard.tex	22 Aug 2007 07:23:37 -0000	1.1
--- calccard.tex	23 Aug 2007 09:58:27 -0000
***************
[...]

RCS file: /sources/emacs/emacs/etc/refcards/cs-dired-ref.tex,v
retrieving revision 1.1
diff -c -r1.1 cs-dired-ref.tex
*** cs-dired-ref.tex	22 Aug 2007 07:23:50 -0000	1.1
--- cs-dired-ref.tex	23 Aug 2007 09:58:28 -0000
***************
*** 23,35 ****
  % Boston, MA 02110-1301, USA.

[...]

RCS file: /sources/emacs/emacs/etc/refcards/cs-refcard.tex,v
retrieving revision 1.1
diff -c -r1.1 cs-refcard.tex
*** cs-refcard.tex	22 Aug 2007 07:24:03 -0000	1.1
--- cs-refcard.tex	23 Aug 2007 09:58:28 -0000
***************
*** 7,16 ****
  \newcount\columnsperpage

[...]

RCS file: /sources/emacs/emacs/etc/refcards/cs-survival.tex,v
retrieving revision 1.1
diff -c -r1.1 cs-survival.tex
*** cs-survival.tex	22 Aug 2007 07:24:09 -0000	1.1
--- cs-survival.tex	23 Aug 2007 09:58:28 -0000
***************
*** 21,26 ****
--- 21,32 ----
    \endinput
  \fi

+ % PDF output layout.  0 for A4, 1 for letter (US), a `l' is added for
+ % a landscape layout.
+
+ \input pdflayout.sty
+ \pdflayout=(0)
+
  % Copyright (C) 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005,
  %   2006, 2007  Free Software Foundation, Inc.

Index: de-refcard.tex
RCS file: /sources/emacs/emacs/etc/refcards/de-refcard.tex,v
retrieving revision 1.1
diff -c -r1.1 de-refcard.tex
*** de-refcard.tex	22 Aug 2007 07:24:22 -0000	1.1
--- de-refcard.tex	23 Aug 2007 09:58:28 -0000
***************
*** 4,20 ****
  %
  %**start of header
  \newcount\columnsperpage
- \newcount\letterpaper

[...]

RCS file: /sources/emacs/emacs/etc/refcards/dired-ref.tex,v
retrieving revision 1.1
diff -c -r1.1 dired-ref.tex
*** dired-ref.tex	22 Aug 2007 07:24:35 -0000	1.1
--- dired-ref.tex	23 Aug 2007 09:58:29 -0000
***************
*** 20,32 ****
  % Boston, MA 02110-1301, USA.

[...]

RCS file: /sources/emacs/emacs/etc/refcards/fr-drdref.tex,v
retrieving revision 1.1
diff -c -r1.1 fr-drdref.tex
*** fr-drdref.tex	22 Aug 2007 07:24:48 -0000	1.1
--- fr-drdref.tex	23 Aug 2007 09:58:29 -0000
***************
*** 20,32 ****
  % Boston, MA 02110-1301, USA.

[...]

RCS file: /sources/emacs/emacs/etc/refcards/fr-refcard.tex,v
retrieving revision 1.1
diff -c -r1.1 fr-refcard.tex
*** fr-refcard.tex	22 Aug 2007 07:25:01 -0000	1.1
--- fr-refcard.tex	23 Aug 2007 09:58:29 -0000
***************
[...]

  \centerline{traduction fran\c{c}aise de Micha\"el Cadilhac}
  % previously: Eric Jacoboni

! Vous pouvez faire et distribuer des copies de cette carte, pourvu que
! la note de copyright et cette note de permission soient conserv\'ees sur
! toutes les copies.

  Pour des copies du manuel GNU Emacs, \'ecrivez \`a la Free Software
  Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA
--- 82,90 ----
  \centerline{traduction fran\c{c}aise de Micha\"el Cadilhac}
  % previously: Eric Jacoboni

! Vous pouvez faire et distribuer des copies de cette carte, modifiée ou
! non, pourvu que la note de copyright et cette note de permission
! soient conserv\'ees sur toutes les copies.

  Pour des copies du manuel GNU Emacs, \'ecrivez \`a la Free Software
  Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA
***************
*** 308,314 ****
  \key{D\'ecrire une fonction}{C-h f}
  \key{Obtenir des informations relatives au mode}{C-h m}

! \section{R\'ecup\'eration sur erreurs}

  \key{{\bf Abandonner} une commande}{C-g}
  \metax{{\bf R\'ecup\'erer} les fichiers apr\`es un crash}{M-x recover-session}
--- 308,314 ----
  \key{D\'ecrire une fonction}{C-h f}
  \key{Obtenir des informations relatives au mode}{C-h m}

! \section{R\'ecup\'eration sur erreur}

  \key{{\bf Abandonner} une commande}{C-g}
  \metax{{\bf R\'ecup\'erer} les fichiers apr\`es un crash}{M-x recover-session}
***************
*** 649,656 ****
  Exemples de d\'efinition globale de touches en Emacs Lisp :

  \beginexample%
! (global-set-key "\\C-cg" 'goto-line)
! (global-set-key "\\M-\#" 'query-replace-regexp)
  \endexample

  \section{\'Ecriture de commandes}
--- 649,656 ----
  Exemples de d\'efinition globale de touches en Emacs Lisp :

  \beginexample%
! (global-set-key (kbd "C-c g") 'search-forward)
! (global-set-key (kbd "M-\#") 'query-replace-regexp)
  \endexample

  \section{\'Ecriture de commandes}
***************
*** 683,689 ****
  \bye
  \f
  % Local variables:
! % compile-command: "tex fr-refcard"
  % End:

  % arch-tag: 39d6dc6e-1a4a-4071-84db-4719d4e9e40d
--- 683,689 ----
  \bye
  \f
  % Local variables:
! % compile-command: "pdftex fr-refcard"
  % End:

  % arch-tag: 39d6dc6e-1a4a-4071-84db-4719d4e9e40d
Index: fr-survival.tex
RCS file: /sources/emacs/emacs/etc/refcards/fr-survival.tex,v
retrieving revision 1.1
diff -c -r1.1 fr-survival.tex
*** fr-survival.tex	22 Aug 2007 07:25:07 -0000	1.1
--- fr-survival.tex	23 Aug 2007 09:58:29 -0000
***************
*** 22,27 ****
--- 22,33 ----
    \endinput
  \fi

[...]

RCS file: /sources/emacs/emacs/etc/refcards/orgcard.tex,v
retrieving revision 1.1
diff -c -r1.1 orgcard.tex
*** orgcard.tex	22 Aug 2007 07:25:48 -0000	1.1
--- orgcard.tex	23 Aug 2007 09:58:29 -0000
***************
[...]

RCS file: /sources/emacs/emacs/etc/refcards/pl-refcard.tex,v
retrieving revision 1.1
diff -c -r1.1 pl-refcard.tex
*** pl-refcard.tex	22 Aug 2007 07:26:01 -0000	1.1
--- pl-refcard.tex	23 Aug 2007 09:58:30 -0000
***************
[...]

RCS file: /sources/emacs/emacs/etc/refcards/pt-br-refcard.tex,v
retrieving revision 1.1
diff -c -r1.1 pt-br-refcard.tex
*** pt-br-refcard.tex	22 Aug 2007 07:26:14 -0000	1.1
--- pt-br-refcard.tex	23 Aug 2007 09:58:30 -0000
***************
[...]

RCS file: /sources/emacs/emacs/etc/refcards/refcard.tex,v
retrieving revision 1.2
diff -c -r1.2 refcard.tex
*** refcard.tex	22 Aug 2007 20:45:38 -0000	1.2
[...]

RCS file: /sources/emacs/emacs/etc/refcards/ru-refcard.tex,v
retrieving revision 1.1
diff -c -r1.1 ru-refcard.tex
*** ru-refcard.tex	22 Aug 2007 07:26:40 -0000	1.1
--- ru-refcard.tex	23 Aug 2007 09:58:31 -0000
***************
*** 518,524 ****
  \end{document}
  \f
  % Local variables:
! % compile-command: "latex ru-refcard"
  % coding: cyrillic-koi8
  % End:

--- 518,524 ----
  \end{document}
  \f
  % Local variables:
! % compile-command: "pdflatex ru-refcard"
  % coding: cyrillic-koi8
  % End:

Index: sk-dired-ref.tex
RCS file: /sources/emacs/emacs/etc/refcards/sk-dired-ref.tex,v
retrieving revision 1.1
diff -c -r1.1 sk-dired-ref.tex
*** sk-dired-ref.tex	22 Aug 2007 07:26:53 -0000	1.1
--- sk-dired-ref.tex	23 Aug 2007 09:58:31 -0000
***************
*** 23,35 ****
  % Boston, MA 02110-1301, USA.

[...]

RCS file: /sources/emacs/emacs/etc/refcards/sk-refcard.tex,v
retrieving revision 1.1
diff -c -r1.1 sk-refcard.tex
*** sk-refcard.tex	22 Aug 2007 07:27:06 -0000	1.1
--- sk-refcard.tex	23 Aug 2007 09:58:31 -0000
***************
*** 7,16 ****
  \newcount\columnsperpage

[...]

RCS file: /sources/emacs/emacs/etc/refcards/sk-survival.tex,v
retrieving revision 1.1
diff -c -r1.1 sk-survival.tex
*** sk-survival.tex	22 Aug 2007 07:27:12 -0000	1.1
--- sk-survival.tex	23 Aug 2007 09:58:31 -0000
***************
*** 21,26 ****
--- 21,32 ----
    \endinput
  \fi

+ % PDF output layout.  0 for A4, 1 for letter (US), a `l' is added for
+ % a landscape layout.
+
+ \input pdflayout.sty
+ \pdflayout=(0)
+
  % Copyright (C) 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005,
  %   2006, 2007  Free Software Foundation, Inc.

Index: survival.tex
RCS file: /sources/emacs/emacs/etc/refcards/survival.tex,v
retrieving revision 1.1
diff -c -r1.1 survival.tex
*** survival.tex	22 Aug 2007 07:27:41 -0000	1.1
--- survival.tex	23 Aug 2007 09:58:31 -0000
***************
*** 3,10 ****
  % Title:  GNU Emacs Survival Card
  % Author: Wlodek Bzyl <matwb@univ.gda.pl>
  %
! % $Revision: 1.1 $
! % $Date: 2007/08/22 07:27:41 $
  %
  %**start of header

--- 3,10 ----
  % Title:  GNU Emacs Survival Card
  % Author: Wlodek Bzyl <matwb@univ.gda.pl>
  %
! % $Revision: 1.8 $
! % $Date: 2000/05/05 22:00:48 $
  %
  %**start of header

***************
*** 25,30 ****
--- 25,36 ----
    \endinput
  \fi

[...]

RCS file: /sources/emacs/emacs/etc/refcards/vipcard.tex,v
retrieving revision 1.1
diff -c -r1.1 vipcard.tex
*** vipcard.tex	22 Aug 2007 07:27:53 -0000	1.1
--- vipcard.tex	23 Aug 2007 09:58:32 -0000
***************
*** 3,12 ****
  \newcount\columnsperpage

[...]

RCS file: /sources/emacs/emacs/etc/refcards/viperCard.tex,v
retrieving revision 1.1
diff -c -r1.1 viperCard.tex
*** viperCard.tex	22 Aug 2007 07:27:59 -0000	1.1
--- viperCard.tex	23 Aug 2007 09:58:32 -0000
***************
[...]

RCS file: /sources/emacs/emacs/etc/refcards/Makefile,v
retrieving revision 1.1
diff -c -r1.1 Makefile
*** Makefile	22 Aug 2007 08:16:20 -0000	1.1
--- Makefile	23 Aug 2007 09:58:32 -0000
***************
[...]

[-- Attachment #1.1.3: Type: text/plain, Size: 643 bytes --]

> It'd be great if some of you with a complete TeX distribution (mine
> doesn't have MeX, and pdfcsplain just fails), could test it.
>
> Thanks !

Another question: should the PDF be added to the repository? If it's the
case, I just don't have all the necessary artillery (MeX, csplain) for
all the files.

--
 |   Michaël `Micha' Cadilhac       |  Si les religions étaient aussi tolé-  |
 |   http://michael.cadilhac.name   |  rantes qu'elles le prétendent, il y   |

@ 2007-08-26 21:32                           ` Michaël Cadilhac
From: Michaël Cadilhac @ 2007-08-26 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: emacs-devel