* Emacs 23, sluggish performance
@ 2008-02-24 14:42 Eric Lilja
From: Eric Lilja @ 2008-02-24 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hello, I'm using a checkout from the trunk built yesterday on my WinXP
with the new font backend enabled. Emacs feels very sluggish even with
just my .emacs settings file opened which is not a big file. Scrolling
in the file is slow, selecting is slow. Maybe not the same response I'm
used to when typing either. I normally select and scroll with the mouse,
which I know is probably under-using emacs but it wasn't slow before.
When I look at the task manager I see emacs is consuming practically no
cpu time and memory usage is modest (around 25 MB). Also, the binaries
are built with debugging information.
I'm wondering what I can do to speed things up, maybe rebuild without
debugging information and not enabling the new font backend but it
shouldn't be necessary I feel.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

- Eric