* Problem compiling GNU/emacs from cvs
@ 2008-04-11 15:05 Adolfo De Unanue
From: Adolfo De Unanue @ 2008-04-11 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi everyone!

I tried to compile Emacs from cvs and failed in the make bootstrap:

(only last lines showed)

Compiling /home/nano/software/emacs/lisp/./nxml/xsd-regexp.el
Wrote /home/nano/software/emacs/lisp/nxml/xsd-regexp.elc
Compiling /home/nano/software/emacs/lisp/./nxml/char-name/subdirs.el
Compiling /home/nano/software/emacs/lisp/./calendar/appt.el

In toplevel form:
calendar/appt.el:78:1:Error: Required feature `cal-loaddefs' was not
provided make[2]: *** [compile] Error 1
make[2]: se sale del directorio `/home/nano/software/emacs/lisp'
make[1]: *** [bootstrap-build] Error 2
make[1]: se sale del directorio `/home/nano/software/emacs'
make: *** [bootstrap] Error 2

The output of configure was:

Configured for `i686-pc-linux-gnu'.

  Where should the build process find the source
code?    /home/nano/software/emacs What operating system and machine
description files should Emacs use? `s/gnu-linux.h' and `m/intel386.h'
  What compiler should emacs be built with?               gcc -g -O2
-Wno-pointer-sign Should Emacs use the GNU version of
malloc?             yes (Using Doug Lea's new malloc from the GNU C
Library.) Should Emacs use a relocating allocator for buffers?    yes
  Should Emacs use mmap(2) for buffer allocation?         no
  What window system should Emacs use?                    x11
  What toolkit should Emacs use?                          GTK
  Where do we find X Windows header files?                Standard dirs
  Where do we find X Windows libraries?                   Standard dirs
  Does Emacs use -lXaw3d?                                 no
  Does Emacs use -lXpm?                                   yes
  Does Emacs use -ljpeg?                                  yes
  Does Emacs use -ltiff?                                  yes
  Does Emacs use a gif library?                           yes -lgif
  Does Emacs use -lpng?                                   yes
  Does Emacs use -lrsvg-2?                                yes
  Does Emacs use -lgpm?                                   yes
  Does Emacs use -ldbus?                                  yes
  Does Emacs use a font backend?                          yes
  Does Emacs use -lfreetype?                              yes
  Does Emacs use -lm17n-flt?                              no
  Does Emacs use -lotf?                                   no
  Does Emacs use -lxft?                                   yes
  Does Emacs use X toolkit scroll bars?                   yes

Any ideas? Maybe it is a bug?

Adolfo De Unánue

* Re: Problem compiling GNU/emacs from cvs
@ 2008-04-11 18:34 ` David Hansen
From: David Hansen @ 2008-04-11 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

,----[ INSTALL.CVS ]

| Very occasionally changes in the source can introduce
| incompatibilities with previous builds.  If a bootstrap fails, as a
| last resort try "make maintainer-clean" before bootstrapping again.
| If CPU time is not an issue, the most thorough way to rebuild, and
| avoid any spurious problems, is always to use "make maintainer-clean;
| make bootstrap".

`----

give make maintainer-clean && make bootstrap a try

David

* Re: Problem compiling GNU/emacs from cvs
@ 2008-04-11 19:21   ` Sven Joachim
From: Sven Joachim @ 2008-04-11 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On 2008-04-11 20:34 +0200, David Hansen wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 10:05:00 -0500 Adolfo De Unanue wrote:
>
>> I tried to compile Emacs from cvs and failed in the make bootstrap:
>
> ,----[ INSTALL.CVS ]
> |
> | Very occasionally changes in the source can introduce
> | incompatibilities with previous builds.  If a bootstrap fails, as a
> | last resort try "make maintainer-clean" before bootstrapping again.
> | If CPU time is not an issue, the most thorough way to rebuild, and
> | avoid any spurious problems, is always to use "make maintainer-clean;
> | make bootstrap".
> |
> `----
>
> give make maintainer-clean && make bootstrap a try

Neither that nor "make maintainer-clean; make bootstrap" can possibly
work, because there is no Makefile after "make maintainer-clean". 8-)
You have to rerun ./configure inbetween.

Sven

* Re: Problem compiling GNU/emacs from cvs
@ 2008-04-12  1:21 Adolfo De Unanue
From: Adolfo De Unanue @ 2008-04-12  1:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: david.hansen, emacs-devel

Hi thanks for your response!

I tried, but the result was -more or less- the same, only the message
error change:

Symbol's function definition is void: custom-declare-face
make[2]: *** [bootstrap-emacs] Error 255
make[2]: se sale del directorio `/home/nano/software/emacs/src'
make[1]: *** [bootstrap-build] Error 2
make[1]: se sale del directorio `/home/nano/software/emacs'
make: *** [bootstrap] Error 2

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Adolfo

* Re: Problem compiling GNU/emacs from cvs
@ 2008-04-12  8:18 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2008-04-12  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adolfo De Unanue; +Cc: david.hansen, emacs-devel

> Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 20:21:00 -0500
> From: Adolfo De Unanue <adolfoaz@gmail.com>
>
> I tried, but the result was -more or less- the same, only the message
> error change:

> Symbol's function definition is void: custom-declare-face

Try byte-compiling minibuffer.el first.  It's a new file, so a
previous .elc file is not there for it (as the "(source)" part above
shows).

* Re: Problem compiling GNU/emacs from cvs
@ 2008-04-12  8:57   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2008-04-12  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: adolfoaz, david.hansen, emacs-devel

> Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 11:18:21 +0300
> From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
> Cc: david.hansen@gmx.net, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> Try byte-compiling minibuffer.el first.  It's a new file, so a
> previous .elc file is not there for it (as the "(source)" part above
> shows).

Sorry, I've misread the original message.  Please ignore my line
noise.